A Defeat to the Religious Right

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 10:10 pm
Casper rejects hate monument
Quote:
Town rejects 'Shepard in hell' monument

by Eric Johnston
Gay.com / PlanetOut.com Network
Casper, Wyo., City Council members on Tuesday night unanimously rejected a request by the notorious anti-gay Rev. Fred Phelps to install a monument saying Matthew Shepard went to hell because he was gay.

The city refused to succumb to lawsuit threats from the preacher, who claims that God hates homosexuals, after a strong outpouring of community opposition to the monument, which had been deemed "revolting" by one gay rights group.

"Mr. Phelps, you are not welcome," said Councilman Paul Bertoglio. "This city will not allow you to place your monument anywhere in our community."

On Oct. 7, 1998, Shepard, a Casper native, was tied to a fence outside Laramie, Wyo., beaten unconscious with a gun and left to die. He died five days later.

Phelps wants to install in a park a six-foot granite monument that would include a bronze plaque with Shepard's image and the words, "Matthew Shepard entered hell October 12, 1998, at age 21 in defiance of God's solemn warning."

Phelps, from Topeka, Kan., gained notoriety in 1998, by carrying signs proclaiming "God Hates Fags" outside Shepard's funeral.

At a City Council meeting earlier this month, city leaders listened to four hours of testimony. All opposed Phelps' monument. And on Tuesday night, about 50 people prayed for the council.

"As I look at Phelps' life, I don't see love as his personal agenda," said Pastor Milo Miller of the Highland Park Community Church. "He disguises his real agenda under the cloak of Christ."

Phelps had said that Casper must allow his Scripture-based monument on city grounds because the town already has allowed a Ten Commandments monument, which was donated to the city in the 1960s by the Fraternal Order of Eagles.

The council now must decide whether to take on a lawsuit, move the Ten Commandments monument to private land or create a special area. The council has taken initial steps to create a designated spot for the Ten Commandments.

The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) and the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) also strongly condemned Phelps plans.

"Matthew was killed by men who believed that hating people because they are different is something to be glorified. And what fueled them is the same form of bigotry and intolerance fueling Phelps," said Elizabeth Birch, HRC's executive director.

"Phelps' offensive behavior is just another mean-spirited ploy for attention," said Joan M. Garry, GLAAD's executive director. "Having this coincide with the five-year mark of Matt's death makes it even more offensive."

The Matthew Shepard Foundation, founded by Shepard's parents to promote tolerance and understanding, isn't commenting on Phelps, the monument or the controversy.

"We're taking the high road," spokeswoman Sarah McMullen said. "We're going on with our mission."

Phelps has said that national tragedies, including the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and the Columbine High School shootings, are God's punishments for the nation's tolerance of GLBT people. Last week, he told the Rocky Mountain News that Casper was "full of gays and gay enablers" and, therefore, condemned to hell.

Posted October 29, 2003
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 964 • Replies: 15
No top replies

husker

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 10:12 pm
edited to prevent slander
about Phelps
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 10:18 pm
About damned time folks started exercising their backbones. Hopefully, this is one grassroots effort that might have half a chance to reach the folks in Washington.
0 Replies

shoesharper

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 11:03 pm
I would say that Phelps is a little mistaken as to who is going to hell and who isn't. Hope he likes hot climate. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 01:36 am
Washington?

Yay Caspar!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 01:42 am
Washington, DC.

Councilman Paul Bertoglio being a part of a grassroots effort that might be contagious and afflict the politicians in DC.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 02:02 am
Aaaaargh!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 04:33 am
What a sick excuse for a human being! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 05:09 am
The religious right are all sick excuses for human beings.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 09:37 am
careful Wilso - no pie slinging towards me! don't color the kettle black - thanks!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 09:43 am
Husker- I think you know that I, personally, have no problem with whatever beliefs a person has. I think that the problem is where individuals attempt to insinuate their views on other people.

What Fred Phelps was attempting to do was vile!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 09:45 am
Phoenix - that I agree with you 100% I edited out my anger toward his being an arsehole.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 09:46 am
Oh, do unedit it! Very Happy
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 10:37 am
Phelps is the same slime who picketed outside of Fred Rodgers memorial service and said that Fred was going to meet Matt Shepard in Hell.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 07:28 am
People like this is the price we pay for our freedoms. Grin and bear it.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 07:31 am
fealola wrote:
Phelps is the same slime who picketed outside of Fred Rodgers memorial service and said that Fred was going to meet Matt Shepard in Hell.

I just can't imagine anyone doing something like that here, and not watching the next sunrise from a hospital bed. He would need the biggest pack of the toughest body guards on earth.
0 Replies