Trolls, or trolling behaviour ...how do we deal with these isues as an online community?

JTT

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 04:55 pm
@Mame,
You're nothing but a stalker, a troll, Mame! From here on out, you are on ignore.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 05:00 pm
@Mame,
Smile
Quote:
Why is it/are they 'chickenshit'?

That's my opinion, Mame.

It's especially chickenshit when one offers in an isolated post that they don't like such and such a comment that "you" made in some other obscure post wherein they had not the cojones to address it then.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 05:24 pm
@High Seas,
Quote:
here's what the latest page on your whale thread looks like to me - starting with your own last post there:

Hawwwwwt doggies. If it ain't Miss America!
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 05:30 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
...It often seems to me that there are simply several pods of vocal minorities fussing and feuding. ...

If anyone ever doubted that, all he has to do is read the ridiculous sequence of posts on this thread - however I did learn something here, that Rama left the forum: I've had him on ignore for so long I forgot his existence. This seems to have been the coup de grace, with due credit to Robert Gentel:
http://able2know.org/topic/123101-1#post-3415331
Quote:
Ramafuchs wrote:

I am ready to quit this forum without any anger or animosity.
Kindly think deeply that all souls are not saleable norwithout dignity.
Regards.
Rama Fuchs 56 josef str 51143 Köln

Please do! Or at least quit posting on my threads like you promised me.
Signature http://twitter.com/robertgentel

Well, that was good news - one can only hope all his hysterical admirers will follow his gracious move towards the exit at top speed Smile
JTT

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 05:45 pm
@High Seas,
Quote:
one can only hope all his hysterical admirers will follow his gracious move towards the exit

Personally, I don't feel that way about you at all, High Seas. I really do not want to see you leave. I think it's important to have someone who is as ignorant as you, someone who is so willing to fabricate as you, posting around here.

Rama must have tied you in knots. Can you bring up that golden oldie for us?

Quote:
If anyone ever doubted that, all he has to do is read the ridiculous sequence of posts here

Says Ms Honesty, who brags about the length of her ignore list.
aidan

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 05:45 pm
@High Seas,
Dignified and poetic to the end.

But just so you don't think what you did is excusable High Seas - someone publishing his own address and phone number publicly is entirely different from someone ELSE doing the same thing without that person's permission.

He had the right to do what he did - YOU didn't whether he'd already done it or not. That's the bottom line.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 05:56 pm
I remember fondly the time several years ago, when MamaAngel (whose posts I almost never agreed with, but who struck me as being an extremely nice person) was wounded by repeated attacks from Setanta (whose posts and points I almost always agree with but who tends to react with TNT rather than tact) and started love bombing him--he'd call her names and she would sweetness-and-light back at him rather than reacting, and it was just driving him crazy. Extremely enjoyable to watch.

I don't think I have the temperament to react that way. I don't think I've ever put anyone on ignore--I don't know even know how to do it because I've never felt the need. I even, gods help me, read spendius's and ican's posts. But in two instances (well, three, since one troll reappeared), when the level of personal nastiness in two posters flipped my switch, I started thumbs downing their most recent posts on a thread, and they went below viewing threshhold, which kind of surprised me bacuase they were only -1, while JTT (be careful, boy, you're pushing things) seems to have survived viewability with a -5. But somewhere in the server they must have stored up a whole lot of negative karma because I never saw them again after that. One was the lamentable cjhsa, and the other was the notorious-back-to-the-days-of-a2k Massagatto/Italgatto/Mortkat/BernardR. He showed up again a couple months ago as MASSAGATT, which seemed to be an attempt at thumbing his nose at everyone, and lasted perhaps three days, my guess as a result of concentrated vigilante outrage.

I didn't do it myself, but I think it was also used against H2OMan, who also got nasty when he got off the subject of water treatment. I don't think he's missed either, except by those people with problem water.

It's kind of the nuclear option, and hopefully it's only used sparingly, but in several cases I think it has improved the discourse here.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 05:57 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
Dignified and poetic to the end.

But just so you don't think what you did is excusable High Seas - someone publishing his own address and phone number publicly is entirely different from someone ELSE doing the same thing without that person's permission.

He had the right to do what he did - YOU didn't whether he'd already done it or not. That's the bottom line.
Well, if he 'd already intentionally DONE it,
then it is public knowledge and a repetition does not amount to much;
i.e., he intentionally waived his right to privacy in that matter.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 05:58 pm
Probably if we all go back and thumbs-down HighSeas' post with RamaFuchs' address in it, it'll drop below viewing threshhold, which in a kind of ad hoc way would get rid of HS's lapse in judgment. (tho wouldn't let him off the hook)
JTT

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 06:01 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
while JTT (be careful, boy, you're pushing things) seems to have survived viewability with a -5.

Damn smart hamsters, them!
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 06:05 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I know she's your friend David - but don't be drawn in. It was his right to publish his private and personal information at the time he chose to do it - it is NEVER her right.

He may have changed his mind and at this point wouldn't have done so--she's made a decision for him that he may not have made at this point.

Why did she have to go into the phone book to do it in the first place if she knew it was here?
Quote:
I looked up the current entry for him and Mrs Fuchs on the Cologne phone book,

After she was remonstrated for doing what she did, she remembered it was here and used that knowledge to cover her butt for being so ******* nosy and nasty.
Sglass

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 06:10 pm
@MontereyJack,
No flies on MamaAngel. She could handle it all - even Setana.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 06:12 pm
@MontereyJack,
No harm in quoting a post, unless the quote has been edited.
aidan

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 06:20 pm
@roger,
She didn't initially quote a post - she looked it up in the phone book (by her own admission) and what she found there is what she initially posted (by her own admission).

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 06:42 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
I know she's your friend David - but don't be drawn in.
It was his right to publish his private and personal information
at the time he chose to do it - it is NEVER her right.
I don 't see Y not, if he intentionally made it public knowledge,
thereby waiving his right to privacy on that point,
whether this is done by my friend or foe.
The information is still out there, as a result of self-identification and revelation.

aidan wrote:
He may have changed his mind and at this point wouldn't have done so--
she's made a decision for him that he may not have made at this point.
He can 't unring the bell.
If my understanding of A2K history is accurate, our host began posting under the screename Craven.
He later began posting under the name of Robet Gentel.
I don't think it woud work to pretend that this name had not been used
if he went back to using the earlier name.

aidan wrote:
Why did she have to go into the phone book to do it in the first place if she knew it was here?
Quote:
I looked up the current entry for him and Mrs Fuchs on the Cologne phone book,
After she was remonstrated for doing what she did, she remembered it was here
and used that knowledge to cover her butt for being so ******* nosy and nasty.
We ALL knew that Rama had done that. I think he did that several different times.
I believe that he was unique in that respect;
I doubt that anyone else has ever openly identified his own name and address or fone number.

David
aidan

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 06:52 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
aidan wrote:
Quote:
He may have changed his mind and at this point wouldn't have done so--
she's made a decision for him that he may not have made at this point.

David wrote:
Quote:
He can 't unring the bell.
If my understanding of A2K history is accurate, our host began posting under the screename Craven.
He later began posting under the name of Robet Gentel.
I don't think it woud work to pretend that this name had not been used
if he went back to using the earlier name.

I have no idea what this has to do with anything. The fact of the matter is that Ramafuchs was posting from 2004-2008. Up until 2008 he was aware of and knew the climate of this board and the people who were posting and who were reading his posts. He made a decision to post his information - at that time - knowing what he knew to be true at that time.

He may not have made the same decision at this time. High Seas made it for him.

Yeah - I grant you that High Seas didn't do anything that could be considered illegal. But there was no REASON for her to do what she did here other than obstinate and malicious bad faith - whether toward me or toward Ramafuchs. Maybe she didn't like the fact that I like Ramafuch's posts. Maybe she didn't like Ramafuchs himself. I don't know - and I don't care. What she did was wrong.
Say if I had been in a really good space and relationship on this forum and I gave out my address and phone number at one point, but things ended badly and you KNEW that and you didn't like me and you said, 'Hey - everyone - you can call Rebecca at this number and tell her what you think of her,' that's just infantile and nasty and trollish.

Quote:
We ALL knew that Rama had done that. I think he did that several different times.

I had no idea he'd done that. But then I don't really focus on the negative.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 07:01 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
MamaAngel
now posting as Arella Mae. Gotta love her current thread.
djjd62

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 07:14 pm
@aidan,
i gotta agree with you, it's bad form, to post that info from a person who isn't here anymore, regardless of wether or not they posted it themselves at one time
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 07:23 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
Yeah - I grant you that High Seas didn't do anything that could be considered illegal.
or immoral either,
so far as I know the facts involved,
since the information in question was made
public knowledge by Rama himself

aidan wrote:
But there was no REASON for her to do what she did here other than obstinate and malicious bad faith -
whether toward me or toward Ramafuchs.
Maybe she didn't like the fact that I like Ramafuch's posts.
Did something bad happen to YOU, Rebecca?

David wrote:
We ALL knew that Rama had done that.
I think he did that several different times.
aidan wrote:
I had no idea he'd done that.
But then I don't really focus on the negative.
Rama seemed to be PROUD of it during argument. He was an exhibitionist.
He BOASTED about it plenty of times
and repeated the publication of his address.
Offhand, I don 't remember whether he included his fone number.

David
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 07:31 pm
@ehBeth,
That JJ is so cute, yeah.
0 Replies