Trolls, or trolling behaviour ...how do we deal with these isues as an online community?

JTT

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 03:12 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
i'm waiting to see if this guy comes back today (seems to only post on sundays)

I'm one of them there stalkers you were talking about.

Rolling Eyes
dlowan

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 03:27 pm
@JTT,
Yep.
JTT

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 03:31 pm
@dlowan,
I once thought you an honest person, dlowan. It was a major disappointment, I can assure you.
JTT

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 03:51 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
on a wider scope A2k'ers have long had a knee jerk reaction to behaviour that is not wanted by the majority, the term "troll" is a catch all for all such, with some flimsy rationalization that the "trolls" are out to hurt the community. There might be some of that, but most who are labeled troll are not a threat to anyone. The calling out of "trolls" usually a power play by the majority in the attempt to silence and then banish the heretics.

Hawkeye's right here. The minus 5 affirms that.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 03:52 pm
@JTT,
if it walks like a duck...
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 04:10 pm
@High Seas,
Quote:
Fuchs **************************

High Seas - what you just did right there (publishing his name and phone number on a public form) was wrong and as far as I can reason - should be against the TOS moreso than any other form of 'trolling'.

I'm sorry I said I enjoyed the guy's post now. Please forgive me for deviating from the norm in terms of what I enjoy.

Jesus High Seas - what the **** is wrong with you? And I don't give a crap how smart you think you are.

High Seas

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 04:15 pm
@aidan,
You can't have read too many posts of Rama Fuchs - if you had read as many as a dozen (and most of us have suffered through a vastly greater number) you would know he posted both his home address and his then office address as a librarian at the University of Cologne approximately every tenth post he wrote. Maybe you should find out something about whatever topic you're posting on before expressing opinions on it?
Rockhead

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 04:16 pm
@aidan,
the internet is populated by all sorts of self-serving or downright evil critters.

this is actually a good lesson for all of us about how much info we give out here...

Below viewing threshold (view)
aidan

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 04:19 pm
@Rockhead,
Yeah - I guess so. You know I always give people the benefit of the doubt and don't think the majority will do anything I wouldn't do - but I guess we can all always learn, can't we? Too bad that what we have to learn is nasty sometimes.

I pray to god Jespah or some caring moderator (as I've found her to be) will go back and remove High Seas post or I'll feel guilty for the rest of my life for expressing what I really felt and believed.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 04:19 pm
@High Seas,
and you are so generous with the compliments...

isn't ignore fun?

aidan, wiping out don't happen any more either.
aidan

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 04:20 pm
@High Seas,
Quote:
PS I don't know you and would prefer to keep things that way

You and me both sweetheart. Don't you worry - I won't be looking YOU up anytime soon.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 04:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
There might be some of that, but most who are labeled troll are not a threat to anyone. The calling out of "trolls" usually a power play by the majority in the attempt to silence and then banish the heretics.

I agree with most of this, though 5 thumbs down in a forum of over 100,000 members isn't much of a majority.

It often seems to me that there are simply several pods of vocal minorities fussing and feuding.

I think it has been hard, and would be hard, to deal with trolling behaviour as a group since it'd be difficult to get agreement (for the most part) on what is appropriate/inappropriate.
aidan

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 04:23 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
and aidan, wiping out don't happen any more, either.

As in 'don't' or 'can't'? Because if it CAN happen - please-I'm asking that it does. Not for me - but for him.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 04:24 pm
@High Seas,
Quote:
Maybe you should find out something about whatever topic you're posting on before expressing opinions on it?

That's not all that odd to hear that coming from you, High Seas, because you don't seem to grasp just how uninformed you are.

What was your purpose in posting Ramafuchs personal info?

Aidan is one of the most well informed, balanced, and thoughtful posters at A2K.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 04:25 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
I once thought you an honest person, dlowan. It was a major disappointment, I can assure you.

FWIW, I still think you're an honest, caring individual. I was referring to one event.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 04:27 pm
@JTT,
i was just curious, i enjoy a good pissing match, and i shut him down by not arguing his point but by mocking his position

good fun i say

and i don't really hate you, some of the positions you take make me shake my head. but what you gonna do

weirdoes all over the place where i am

wait a minute i'm the only one here

Shocked

JTT

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 04:32 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
some of the positions you take make me shake my head. but what you gonna do

Really, djjd, ignoring those is just as chickenshit, maybe even more so, as putting someone on ignore or scrolling on by.
djjd62

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 04:34 pm
@JTT,
didn't say i didn't read them, i like a good head shake now and again

i like the sound, sorta like broken glass and pebbles in a tin can
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 04:46 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Really, djjd, ignoring those is just as chickenshit, maybe even more so, as putting someone on ignore or scrolling on by.

Why is it/are they 'chickenshit'?