roger

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 10:44 pm
@ossobuco,
The test provides a pretty good average over the most three months. Not offended, but it doesn't sound like a joke.
littlek

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 10:39 am
Hmph. Call the vet. I do know that there are cats who are able to go on a 24-hour insulin. Mine wasn't able to. I totally agree with you, Kicky, about just waiting until your apt. in April.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 10:47 am
Screech got both the curves and the snap shot tests done. The curve that cowdoc refers to could, technically be done at home if Kicky still has the tester I gave him. However, I wouldn't try to interperet it without the help of a vet or a vet technician. I know that the trip to the vet cause Screech's blood curves to be a little screwy (stress - Screech wouldn't eat there). Maybe you could send the data in an email after getting directions from the vet. When he was young Screech would go in every 6 months, or so, for a curve and once or twice a year for the 6-month snapshot. As he got older I'd bring him in less often and we relied more heavily on the snapshots because the curves weren't all that accurate (and I was testing with the glucose meter).

Roger, cats eat exactly the same thing every day. Their lives don't vary much from day to day in exercise either. So, it's easier to shoot them with the slow-acting insulin only (humans often need both slow and fast acting insulin). Kicky is (probably) using the glucose meter I sent him to keep tabs on the glucose levels.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 10:31 am
@ossobuco,
Thank you - same thing I was going to ask - don't you usually bring your pet once a year for a checkup?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 11:32 am
@roger,
Now I understand the snaps are done routinely, so the six months for the curve no longer startles me.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 03:14 pm
I think it's also important to remember that this is an indoor cat with the same daily routine and dietary intake (I am assuming somewhat about the later two details). Things with my cat in that situation did not change much after the first 1-2 years (until the last year).
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 12:25 pm
I should never have started this thread. I was not really interested in an answer to the cat question. I was just pissed at my girlfriend and wanted to rant.

littlek, I tried to use the stuff you gave me but after trying and trying, I couldn't get the little needle through the skin of his ear. Finally I just gave up. I try again every couple/few months when I'm feeling confident, but I still can't get the damn blood sample. Sorry.

Anyway, the cat thing is somewhat over, although our problems are much bigger than that, and they are still very much in evidence. I made arrangements with my friend to come and do the shots for me last night so that I could stay over with her. That didn't work out at all, and now we're in a whole different misery.

Anyway, thanks for your input everyone.
sozobe

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 12:36 pm
@kickycan,
Aw, sorry Kicky.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 12:38 pm
Is the cat okay?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 05:07 pm
Don't be sorry!

Is Rocky ok?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 06:50 pm
Rocky's fine. Me and my girlfriend are about one strong word away from breaking up, but yeah, the cat's fine. I am going to call the vet and make an appointment as soon as I get a chance. Thanks again for everything.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 06:54 pm
@kickycan,
dude.

get it over with, you'll feel a lot better.

good luck.

(with the cat, too...)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 07:09 pm
@kickycan,
Nice.

you gonna call me soon?
Huh stud ?

Wink
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 07:39 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Aw, sorry Kicky.

Well, I'm sorry too.

Breaking up is never nice.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 08:30 pm
Bummer re: the relationship, but prolly better in the longer run (not knowing anything about it).

As to the cat... I don't manage many diabetics -- chronic diseases don't really fit my particular line of work -- but after diagnosis, a lot of diabetic cats can be weaned off of insulin with dietary management and weight control.

Regardless of anything else, it is in the best interests of the cat to recheck the curve at least yearly. You don't want to find out that their response to the insulin has changed at the after-hours ER clinic.
patiodog

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 08:38 pm
@patiodog,
To clarify -- "a lot" doesn't mean most, but it's very worthwhile if yours is one of those that goes into remission. Typically the successful ones were obese and lose weight.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 09:56 pm
@kickycan,
Oh dear. I hope that doesn't happen if it is otherwise a good relationship...if not, well, you look after yourself and keep your chin up!
0 Replies