Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 03:52 pm
I have a diabetic cat who has been being given a shot of insulin once every twelve hours for about three years. When he was first diagnosed, I asked the vet several times if there wasn't some way he could go on a higher-dosage, once-a-day shot instead of once every twelve hours. The answer was no every time. I haven't been back to my vet in quite a while, but what do you think the odds are that if I go now, they'll tell me that yes, I suddenly can give him a shot only once per day?

I ask this because my girlfriend is starting to really piss me off with her nagging me to now go to the vet and see about this, because it's an inconvenience to her, even though I've told her repeatedly that I already asked about that. It's starting to become a recurring argument. She says that it's been a long time since I asked (it has been about two years, but the reason I haven't gone back in so long is that my cat was so traumatized last time I went, it was horrible), so I should go back and have him checked, and ask again. So I'll probably now end up wasting about a hundred bucks to get the same answer I got the last time I asked. I told her I'd ask next time I go to the vet, which will be in early to mid-April, because I have to start him on a new kind of insulin anyways at that point. But she wants me to do it NOW. If I go now, I'm essentially throwing away my money on an extra visit I don't need to schedule.

A follow-up question: If I do go to the vet to appease my girlfriend and get the same answer, how much of the vet bill is my girlfriend responsible for? I say 100%, since I didn't even want to do this in the first place.

I probably won't be able to check back on this for a while now, since I'm going to meet my girlfriend in a few minutes and will probably be with her all weekend. Thanks though for any help you can give in this matter.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 14 • Views: 3,295 • Replies: 36
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 03:54 pm
@kickycan,
Wait, why do you need to bring the actual cat? Why not call the vet and ask if anything has changed? (New medication, new studies, new something, or else his answer will be the same.)
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 03:55 pm
@kickycan,
what is a long weekend alone with your cat worth, kicky?

you got a way with girls, my friend...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 04:04 pm
@kickycan,
Only reading the first two posts, I agree with Soz, just call the vet, preferably, for girl friend reasons, talking to the vet himself. Or email him.

So, you two enjoy harranging? (you know, harranging is derived from the arringhiera (or a word like that) from which people used to harrang in piazza Signoria? or so it has been said)
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 04:28 pm
@kickycan,
Well, Kicky, I think that pets that were owned before you met your partner are Sacrosanct.

Anything you want for your pre-relationship pet is the right thing.

I wish she'd respect that.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 04:32 pm
@BorisKitten,
I agree - but I suppose Kick should check. My own instincts are that two a days are more nuanced for the cat's metabolism, which could matter fairly much. I don't personally know.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 04:32 pm
@BorisKitten,
In the early years with my husband, his dog (an adorable fat Beagle) became very ill. He (Beagle) needed a blood transfusion.

When later-to-be husband showed up at my door at 2 AM, asking if MY dog could provide this blood transfusion, of course I said YES! Off he went with my dog.

Beagle died in a couple of days anyway, but NOT due to my lack of love for his pre-relationship pet!

Dang it, are you sure this is The Right Woman for you?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 04:51 pm
Sounds like you need a new girlfriend.

Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 05:06 pm
On the other hand, doesn't your vet like to see your cat once a year or something like that? Or even for prescription renewal?

mismi

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 05:08 pm
Ooooh - Kicky has his old avatar back....grrrrr.

I'm with Shewolf - new girlfriend. Wink
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 05:41 pm
First a shower curtain, now a sick cat, next a $25,000 wedding. Mark my words that's where this is headed.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 05:58 pm
@Green Witch,
oh c'mon

no cheap weddings for our Kicky - he won't restrict it to a $25,000 dress and nothin' else - his bride deserves more!
ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 06:05 pm
@ehBeth,
Uh oh, controllerola...

Okay, that's bitchy. Maybe Kick likes it. A certain familiarity, even comfort.

Meantime, maintain your cat, k.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 06:18 pm
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:
But she wants me to do it NOW. If I go now, I'm essentially throwing away my money on an extra visit I don't need to schedule.

I can see how this decision is uncomfortable, but I can't see how it's difficult. Your cat, your money, your decision.

kickycan wrote:
A follow-up question: If I do go to the vet to appease my girlfriend and get the same answer, how much of the vet bill is my girlfriend responsible for? I say 100%, since I didn't even want to do this in the first place.

I'd give her the choice between a mid-April appointment that's entirely on you, and an additional end-of-March appointment about the insulin-shooting-policy that's entirely on her.

Full disclosure: The author of this post is single, and there's probably a reason for that.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 08:27 pm
I'm surprised at insulin dose and frequency being fixed rather than based on testing. Also surprised that nothing has changed in the past two years. What would I know? I seem to recall Littlek doing some testing, and I have at least heard of fast and slow acting insulin.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 08:31 pm
@roger,
mmm. roger knows more, I'll back off.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 09:04 pm
@roger,
If you really want to see how it works, have your vet do a serum glucose curve. You give the insulin dose, and then monitor the glucose levels at around two-hour intervals. The reason you have a zero percent chance of the once-a-day insulin is that the higher dose will more than likely knock the cat into hyglycemia before the glucose comes back, and then will probably reach renal threshold again by the next day. Remember that the pancreas produces insulin ALL THE TIME, not just as a single amount per day.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 09:08 pm
@CowDoc,
We used to call those glucose tolerance tests. Makes sense, Cow Doc.
roger

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 10:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Makes sense to me, anyway.

I don't do insulin, but I have paid a bit of attention. I do know I can get large variations in A1c levels at six month intervals, and would be surprised if the same were not true of cats.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 10:30 pm
@roger,
I once worked in a sugar lab (Scripps Clinic). Alas, I don't remember all that much at this point. Six month levels seem a joke to me, not to offend.

Scripps clinic was allied with Scripps research institute, of some reasonable fame - but the only connection I myself saw was that I got to go over to the institute and hear good lectures.