• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 1,462 • Replies: 14
Topic Closed

Rockhead

Sat 20 Mar, 2010 10:28 am
@dyslexia,
I don't much believe in it, but I do have some Lachesis muta juice if you wanna borrow it...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sat 20 Mar, 2010 11:15 am
From my reading, I believe it can be very beneficial to at least some of us, but I don't have enough knowledge to discuss it intelligently. I do know the establishment tries to discourage such practices, whether or not they actually do any good.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Sat 20 Mar, 2010 12:14 pm
@dyslexia,
In Germany they're very big on homeopathy, and every med student has to
have a few semesters of homeopathy now. You can buy specific products
there easily. Have you had something in mind, dys?
I am sure Walter could send it to you!

Here is a good guide http://abchomeopathy.com/
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Sat 20 Mar, 2010 01:19 pm
I'm certainly in favor of anything that the AMA opposes.
0 Replies

dlowan

Sat 20 Mar, 2010 07:18 pm
@dyslexia,
I think wikipedia is pretty accurate on this:

Quote:
Claims of homeopathy's efficacy beyond the placebo effect are unsupported by the collective weight of scientific and clinical evidence.[7][8][9][10][11][12] While some studies have positive results, systematic reviews of all the published trials fail to conclusively demonstrate efficacy.[13][14][15][16][17] Furthermore, higher quality trials tend to report less positive results,[15][18] and most positive studies have not been replicated or show methodological problems that prevent them from being considered unambiguous evidence of homeopathy's efficacy.[7][10][19][20] An inquiry into the evidence base for homeopathy conducted by the UK House of Commons Science and Technology Committee in 2009-2010 concluded that homeopathy does not work better than placebo. They consider it "a placebo treatment", and state that it is "bad medicine" to prescribe pure placebos.[12]
Homeopathic remedies generally contain few or no pharmacologically active molecules,[21] and for such remedies to have pharmacological effect would violate fundamental principles of science.[11][22] Modern homeopaths have proposed that water has a memory that allows homeopathic preparations to work without any of the original substance; however, there are no verified observations nor scientifically plausible physical mechanisms for such a phenomenon.[22][23] The lack of convincing scientific evidence supporting homeopathy's efficacy[24] and its use of remedies lacking active ingredients have caused homeopathy to be described as pseudoscience, quackery,[25][26][27][28][29] and a "cruel deception".[30]
The prevalence and regulation of homeopathy is highly variable from country to country. There are no specific legal regulations concerning its use in some countries, while in others, licenses or degrees in conventional medicine from accredited universities are required. Some homeopathic treatment is covered by the national insurance coverage of several countries; in others it is fully integrated into the national health care system. In many countries, the laws that govern the regulation and testing of conventional drugs do not apply to homeopathic remedies.[31]

Full article here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy
0 Replies

Green Witch

Sat 20 Mar, 2010 07:30 pm
I just recently met a homeopath practitioner studying to become an RN. I asked her why the big change and she said after a decade of working with homeopathy she had to admit to herself she did not think the bulk of it did much of anything - either good or bad. She's just one small sample, but I also have not seen much in the way of results in my own experience and I'm very open to alternative treatments. I had an employee once who swore by the homeopathic preventive/cure for poison ivy until she got a rash so bad that she had to go to the hospital for steroid injections. I do believe we have individual chemistry and what might be poison for one person could be cure for another.
0 Replies

Thomas

Sat 20 Mar, 2010 10:32 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
anyone know anything about it?

1) Certainly not the homeopaths.

2) The only thing I know is that homeopathy doesn't beat placebos. So if it's not too expensive, and if the prospective patient is a gullible person who is likely to respond to placebos -- go for it!
ossobuco

Sat 20 Mar, 2010 11:33 pm
@Thomas,
Much as my take, Thomas.

On the other hand some stuff filters up. I do think some natural herbs etc etc etc etc could work if tested in a rigorous double blind study.

I think my eye doc thinks of fish oil as homeopathic, and I probably agree with him, especially after this week's fish oil scandal. Me, I like anchovies and sardines. I probably am his weirdest patient so far.

roger

Sat 20 Mar, 2010 11:49 pm
@ossobuco,
There is a fish oil scandal? Give us the inside skinny.
ossobuco

Sun 21 Mar, 2010 12:03 am
@roger,
Yes, but that is so last week.

Sigh... I am not in the mood to seek links.
Back tomorrow re fish oil and nerves.
Nag me if I fail on this.
ossobuco

Sun 21 Mar, 2010 12:18 am
@ossobuco,
This isn't the article I saw, but will do for the meantime - re fish oil capsules..
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/7_on_your_side&id=7306625
0 Replies

dlowan

Sun 21 Mar, 2010 06:30 am
@Thomas,
It's not gullible to respond to placebos, it's simply human.
0 Replies

JPB

Sun 21 Mar, 2010 08:07 am
@ossobuco,
How can fish oil be homeopathic? It may be holistic, but I don't see it as homeopathic.

Anyway... the holistic center I visit has a homeopath who is also an MD. He prescribes homeopathic remedies for all sorts of things. I'm too much of a skeptic to try them and stick to the more traditional interventions. I do prefer herbals over pharmaceuticals when possible, but that's another thing too.
0 Replies

Dr Nancy Malik

Wed 31 Mar, 2010 03:08 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

anyone know anything about it?

Homeopathy medicine is non-toxic system of medical science originated in Germany by Dr. Friedrich Samuel Hahnemann (1755-1843) (the founder and father of homeopathy medicine). He was M.D. in conventional medicine. He realised his own school of medicine (conventional) was not helping the patients and spent years researching on homeopathy medicine. The term “homoeopathy” was coined in 1807.
0 Replies