Is Evolution a Dangerous Idea? If so, why?

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 01:02 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
No, you werent.

Am I leading now?

Quote:
Then you can prove one or admit you can not and will apologise.

You wouldn't apologize even if I proved it to you beyond a shadow of a doubt...and that's how dishonest you are.

Quote:
Yes, from psuedo-scientists who's ego is writing cheques their intelligence can not cash.

Exactly...you're keeping up.

Quote:
I love science with a strong passion and I dont think you know enough about the psycholgy of religion to criticise.

And it shows how scientific you are when you diminish all the historical, scientific discoveries and substitute them with religious "greatness".

Quote:
Your lack of knowledge of psychology and your lack of human warmth is brutally confronting.

And you have proved all those facts...right!
Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 01:16 pm
@Ionus,
I wrote:
Quote:
gave the example of the scientists who are also religious and interpret the Bible differently...

You responded:
Quote:
Show me.

Kenneth Raymond Miller (born 1948) is a biology professor at Brown University. Miller, who is Roman Catholic, is particularly known for his opposition to creationism, including the intelligent design (ID) movement. He has written two books on the subject: Finding Darwin's God, which argues that a belief in evolution is compatible with a belief in God; and Only a Theory, which explores ID and the Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District case as well as its implications in science across America.
Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_R._Miller

Robert T. Bakker (born March 24, 1945) is an American paleontologist who helped reshape modern theories about dinosaurs, particularly by adding support to the theory that some dinosaurs were endothermic (warm-blooded). Along with his mentor John Ostrom, Bakker was responsible for initiating the ongoing "dinosaur renaissance" in paleontological studies, beginning with Bakker's article "Dinosaur Renaissance" in Scientific American, April 1975. His special field is the ecological context and behavior of dinosaurs.
An Ecumenical Christian minister, Bakker has said there is no real conflict between religion and science. He has advised non-believers and creationists to read the views put forward by Saint Augustine, who argued against a literal understanding of the Book of Genesis.
Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_T._Bakker

Francis Sellers Collins (born April 14, 1950), M.D., Ph.D., is an American physician-geneticist, noted for his landmark discoveries of disease genes and his leadership of the Human Genome Project (HGP) and described by the Endocrine Society as "one of the most accomplished scientists of our time".[1] [2] He currently serves as Director of the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland. Collins has written a book about his Christian faith and founded, and was president of, the BioLogos Foundation before accepting the nomination to lead the NIH. On October 14, 2009, Pope Benedict XVI appointed Francis Collins to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences.[3]
Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Collins_%28geneticist%29

I wrote:
Quote:
Who named what?

You responded:
Quote:
The Dark Ages.

The idea of a Dark Age originated with Petrarch in the 1330s.[5][4] Writing of those who had come before him, he said: "Amidst the errors there shone forth men of genius; no less keen were their eyes, although they were surrounded by darkness and dense gloom".[11] Christian writers, including Petrarch himself,[4] had long used traditional metaphors of "light versus darkness" to describe "good versus evil". Petrarch was the first to co-opt the metaphor and give it secular meaning by reversing its application. Classical Antiquity, so long considered the "dark" age for its lack of Christianity, was now seen by Petrarch as the age of "light" because of its cultural achievements, while Petrarch's time, allegedly lacking such cultural achievements, was seen as the age of darkness.[4]
Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Ages
Quote:
More the pity for you, because you try to be good at it.

Isn't it true...?bullshitting ain't a profession...
Ionus

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 07:07 pm
@Jason Proudmoore,
Quote:
Science doesn't believe in the supernatural...God or gods are part of the supernatural, which aren't perceived with no measurable, scientific means...
Alternate universes, parrallel dimensions, alternate realities, and the "popular science" of faster than light travel, time travel, beam me up Scotty....oh science is doing a wonderful job of not believeing in the supernatural.
Quote:
Help me out here...which Greek philosopher do you think I resemble?
More the 'runny pile of dog poo someone couldnt pick up' type of greek philospher.
Ionus

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 07:26 pm
@Jason Proudmoore,
Quote:
Are you doing all this for attention
For God's sake look at your avatar, you man/short-on-most-things-including-height-type person.
Quote:
Are you telling me that it is better to live a lie than to find the real truth... to be gullible...to do irrational things not because it is the right thing to do, but because God wants you to do it?
Have you never heard of science getting it wrong ? of being gullible...believing irrational things not because it is factual, but because leading scientists want you to believe it?
Quote:
Believing in God, anything is possible... and even the most heinous things are justified...
Believing in science, anything is possible... and even the most heinous things are justified...
Quote:
you have to prove it wrong in order to disqualify a theory as being factual...
Ah yes..the dogma of the religious..oops...scientist. It is accepted due to the infallible nature of scientists...I dont believe the Pope said his infallibity quite like that, but I dont believe his bullshit either. People are fallible, and lumping them together makes them more so.
Quote:
It has to pass a scientific peer review team in order for the theory or scientific explanation to be correct...
And religion has to pass thousands of years of contributing to the human psyche. You are aware that theories have had peer acceptance and have turned out to be wrong anyway ...you are aware of that, right ?
Ionus

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 07:29 pm
@Jason Proudmoore,
Quote:
You mean the Torah was written after this?
Yes.
Quote:
And the Bible, which the Torah (the five books of Moses) is part of was against the idea that the world was round or flat?
It doesnt say. So you cant claim it says the world is flat.
Quote:
And those men took the idea from the Bible or they observed that the Earth didn't resemble flatness?
They observed the curvature of the earth.
Quote:
But I already did prove it...
You are delsuional.
Ionus

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 07:36 pm
@Jason Proudmoore,
Quote:
Am I leading now?
No.
Quote:
You wouldn't apologize even if I proved it to you beyond a shadow of a doubt...and that's how dishonest you are.
You mean you are dishonest in calling me a liar and failing to provide any attempt at proving it. THAT dishonesty is obvious and you will apologise for calling me a liar.
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, from psuedo-scientists who's ego is writing cheques their intelligence can not cash.
Exactly...you're keeping up.
You have just admitted to being a psuedo-scientist who's ego is writing cheques their intelligence can not cash.
Quote:
And it shows how scientific you are when you diminish all the historical, scientific discoveries and substitute them with religious "greatness".
You will either stop making things up or show me where I said that.
Quote:
Quote:
Your lack of knowledge of psychology and your lack of human warmth is brutally confronting.
And you have proved all those facts...right!
You made it clear you want everyone to be like you and worship science regardless of the consequences because you are frightened and alone, hoping for the security of a crowd.
farmerman

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 07:45 pm
@Ionus,
you unerstaqnd that this kind of cjhilds play by all of us (especially seriate "one liners" ) is of no interest to anyone excpet you two. Lets get back to the subject and yell at each other on technical grounds , This nyah nyah nyah **** is getting really wacky.

Lets all grow the **** up. (I promise to do my best also).

PS, Jason has posted examples of religious scientists. I was not aware that Bob Bakker was a man with religious beliefs. Miller and Collins are well known for their devotion and beliefs.
Ionus

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 07:53 pm
@Jason Proudmoore,
You dumb ****. You were supposed to show me the post number where you said that.
Quote:
gave the example of the scientists who are also religious
But you dont want them to believe in religion. According to you, they must be mentally inferior. My God, I hope they didnt peer review anything !! That could upset the science God's and it might stop raining technodogical crap on our wittle scientific heads.
Quote:
On October 14, 2009, Pope Benedict XVI appointed Francis Collins to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences.[3]
Science AND religion....not quite the 'either-or' you have been coming up with.
Quote:
The idea of a Dark Age originated with Petrarch in the 1330s.
I told you where the term originated but your knowledge depends on google.
Quote:
Isn't it true...?bullshitting ain't a profession...
If bullshiting is the extent of your professional qualifications then you aint got ****.
Ionus

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 07:54 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Jason has posted examples of religious scientists.
Which undermines his entire position of one or the other but he is too stupid to realise it.
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 08:37 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
Alternate universes, parrallel dimensions, alternate realities,

It's all supported by mathematics, mite...

Quote:
and the "popular science" of faster than light travel, time travel, beam me up Scotty....

This is science fiction...did you know that cellphones was considered science fiction?
Quote:
oh science is doing a wonderful job of not believeing in the supernatural.

Science can't examine the supernatural because it can't be perceivable...nor measured.
Quote:
More the 'runny pile of dog poo someone couldnt pick up' type of greek philospher.

This means that the transition of making you see reason is a little painful.
Ionus

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 08:45 pm
@Jason Proudmoore,
Quote:
Quote:
Alternate universes, parrallel dimensions, alternate realities,
It's all supported by mathematics, mite...
An aspect of the human mind that some dont have ability in....like a belief in God that you ref'd some scientists as having.
Quote:
Quote:
and the "popular science" of faster than light travel, time travel, beam me up Scotty....
This is science fiction...did you know that cellphones was considered science fiction?
I chose those because they are all impossible.
Quote:
Science can't examine the supernatural because it can't be perceivable...nor measured.
I repeat : Alternate universes, parrallel dimensions, alternate realities, etc

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 08:46 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
For God's sake look at your avatar, you man/short-on-most-things-including-height-type person.

I am not complaining with my avatar picture, mite...nor my shortness or my allege "homosexuality"...as you call it.

Quote:
Have you never heard of science getting it wrong ?

And how do we know that science gets it wrong...by applying the scientific method...which is science!

Quote:
of being gullible...believing irrational things not because it is factual, but because leading scientists want you to believe it?

No...because doing the right thing benefits humankind...simple...

Quote:
Believing in science, anything is possible... and even the most heinous things are justified...

Believing in irrational or insane ideas and then combining it with science proves very, very dangerous.

Quote:
Ah yes..the dogma of the religious..oops...scientist. It is accepted due to the infallible nature of scientists...

Science is not infallible...but it is the best thing we've got yet...
Quote:
I dont believe the Pope said his infallibity quite like that, but I dont believe his bullshit either

Why do you think that what the Pope believes is bullshit and not what the other denominations of Christianity believes as well.

Quote:
People are fallible, and lumping them together makes them more so.

You are right...people are fallible...and there is no getting around it.
Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 08:52 pm
@Ionus,
I wrote:
Quote:
You mean the Torah was written after this?

You wrote:
Quote:
Yes.

The Torah was written before the New Testament...

Quote:
It doesnt say. So you cant claim it says the world is flat.

You can pretend that the Bible doesn't say that the world is flat...believe that if you want...but if it teaches otherwise, how come the catholic church claimed the world was flat...it shouldn't been obvious to them...

Quote:

And is this in the Bible, too?

Quote:
You are delsuional.

Nice way of proving it.
Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 09:00 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
You mean you are dishonest in calling me a liar and failing to provide any attempt at proving it.

Well, you're just misinformed...and it possible that it is not your fault that you're not providing the real facts...

Quote:
THAT dishonesty is obvious and you will apologise for calling me a liar.

You are a misinformer...

Quote:
You have just admitted to being a psuedo-scientist who's ego is writing cheques their intelligence can not cash.

Okay...

Quote:
You will either stop making things up or show me where I said that.

If you come back with this, I will provide quotes from you previous posts putting science down.

Quote:
You made it clear you want everyone to be like you and worship science regardless of the consequences because you are frightened and alone, hoping for the security of a crowd.

I just want everybody to be rational and not do irrational things just because they think their imaginary friend wants them to...
Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 09:04 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
An aspect of the human mind that some dont have ability in....like a belief in God that you ref'd some scientists as having.

Being a scientist just doesn't make a person rational...do you know what compartmentalization is? It's from Psychology...

Quote:
I chose those because they are all impossible.

And so was a cellphone, mite.

Quote:
I repeat : Alternate universes, parrallel dimensions, alternate realities, etc

It's supported by mathematics, mite...
Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 09:11 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
You dumb ****. You were supposed to show me the post number where you said that.

Go back and find it.

Quote:
But you dont want them to believe in religion.

They is no evidence for a god or gods...why would I want people believe in things that aren't supported by evidence.

Quote:
According to you, they must be mentally inferior.

When it comes to being rational, you have to let go of irrational things..

Quote:
My God, I hope they didnt peer review anything !!

They didn't.
Quote:
That could upset the science God's and it might stop raining technodogical crap on our wittle scientific heads.

Yeah...that might happen...

Quote:
Science AND religion....not quite the 'either-or' you have been coming up with.

Okay...
Quote:
If bullshiting is the extent of your professional qualifications then you aint got ****.

Okay...

Ionus

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 11:06 pm
@Jason Proudmoore,
Quote:
I am not complaining with my avatar picture
For the record, exactly what are you complaining about , shorty ?
Quote:
And how do we know that science gets it wrong...by applying the scientific method...which is science!
You have admitted that science gets it wrong.
Quote:
No...because doing the right thing benefits humankind...simple...
The right thing ? You associate science with morality ?????

Quote:
Believing in irrational or insane ideas and then combining it with science proves very, very dangerous.
And how does science eliminate technology from the hands of the irrational and insane ?
Quote:
Science is not infallible...but it is the best thing we've got yet...
Not only is it not infallible, but until it understands the COMPLETE human mind and the universe in its ENTIRETY it has no right to say religion shouldnt exist.

Quote:
Why do you think that what the Pope believes is bullshit and not what the other denominations of Christianity believes as well.
Science, the Pope and anyone else who thinks they are infallible is full of ****.
Quote:
You are right...people are fallible...and there is no getting around it.
Agreed, which is why science can not be demanded to replace religion.
Ionus

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 11:10 pm
@Jason Proudmoore,
Quote:
The Torah was written before the New Testament...
Youve been up all night studying havent you ?
Quote:
You can pretend that the Bible doesn't say that the world is flat...believe that if you want...
Thank you. Your generosity is only exceded by your gayness.
Quote:
Quote:
And is this in the Bible, too?
No.

Ionus

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 11:15 pm
@Jason Proudmoore,
Quote:
Quote:
You mean you are dishonest in calling me a liar and failing to provide any attempt at proving it.
Well, you're just misinformed...and it possible that it is not your fault that you're not providing the real facts...
Then man up and apologise for calling me a liar and that will end the matter.
Quote:
If you come back with this, I will provide quotes from you previous posts putting science down.
Consider this "coming back with this".
Quote:
I just want everybody to be rational and not do irrational things just because they think their imaginary friend wants them to...
If that is all you have, that the mentally ill are represented in the religious as they are in scientists, then you aint got Jack.
farmerman

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 11:17 pm
@Ionus,
HMM, Ill say that this is going well isnt it? I have a suggestion edgar, Im gonna put both Ionus and JAson on ignore until I dont see anymore quadruple ignore posts anymore. (Of course Ive got spenid back on ignore, maybe Ill take him off so that only the participants in the playground fight wont show up as posts.

Maybe Im the only one whose bored at the one liners over and over again.Id like to get back to the subject. Wink