Flooding in Masschusetts - this was almost me!

Linkat

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 08:39 am
It rained and rained and rained over the past few days. Sunday was fun as we just stayed in and stayed warm.

But Monday morning had to go to work. As I was driving to work, there was quite a bit of traffic in front of me all slowed down, so I went to take some side streets to avoid it. As a result, I missed the detour on a flooded road (the police only blocked off the major intersections not the small side streets).

All of a sudden I saw the deep water. I stopped in the middle of the road and did a Uturn back. This poor sap thought she could make it.

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Third_Party_Photo/2010/03/15/10__1268680292_0102.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 3,622 • Replies: 28

George

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 09:34 am
I spent Monday afternoon and evening until about 9:30 in the bathroom we
have in the basement.We plugged up the shower drain, but water was coming
in from under the toilet. We were able to keep ahead of it by contantly
running my shop-vac with the discharge hose out the window. The Lovely
and I worked in shifts until the water stopped. Looking at the news reports, I'd
say we got off easy.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 09:37 am
@George,
That sounds like a nightmare.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 09:38 am
@DrewDad,
And may I just add: ewwwww!
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 09:59 am
@DrewDad,

thank gawd we had the foundation stucco'd in '08, otherwise we would've had a wading pool down cellah...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 10:17 am
@George,
Yuck - I have to check in with my Aunt - she lives on a deadend street (last house) - it is a deadend because there is a river beyond her property line. It may be ugly for her. We had puddles in our yard yesterday - but today they are all gone.

The city where I live, they had to evaculate some homes. I believe it may have been down further on the street I posted. And this isn't even near any of the homes on the habor - I did hear this morning that they may also release some sewage into Quincy harbor - glad I live on the other side of town.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 10:27 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
The storm also overburdened septic systems. With its plant on Nut Island in Quincy overflowing, the MWRA was forced to empty untreated waste into Quincy Bay.

"It's really to save the station," said Ria Convery, a MWRA spokesman. "If it fills up with water, we've got bigger troubles."

Convery said the controlled release is mostly water and is permitted under environmental regulations in an emergency. Officials plan to test the water for elevated bacteria levels. Raw sewage was also released into the Mystic River.

The Nut Island plant feeds the larger treatment plant on Deer Island, which has been running at capacity for 48 hours. Each day, the plant has handled 1.3 billion gallons of flow, compared to 360 million on a normal day.

Forecasters said the rain is expected to taper off, but warned that many flooded rivers will not return to normal levels for days.
http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/03/wet_windy_heada.html

had it been colder, we would've been dealing with 80-85" of white shite... < shudder >
Linkat

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 10:54 am
@Region Philbis,
Yep that is what I keep telling myself.

So you mean my friends whose house is right near Quincy Bay will not be stinking? Just mostly water huh?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 10:55 am
The river near our apartment overflowed, putting 7 or 8 inches of water over what use to be the main access road to our neighborhood.

I am not sure what makes me happier; that we now have a lake front house... or our new indoor swimming pool.

Linkat

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 11:10 am
@ebrown p,
Well the sea gulls were certainly enjoying the new lake over at the Y this morning.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 12:02 pm
Wait a minute - was it raining or sommat? I did notice it was a "soft day" at the Paddys Day parade. Nice Irish weather.
Linkat

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 12:23 pm
@Heeven,
Anyone attending that parade doesn't know the difference - they are all beered up.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 01:31 pm
I work at one of the districts that shut down school. My commute would have driven me through a few flooded spots. Right now it's gorgeous out - spring bulbs popping in the warm(ish) sunshine. Not a puddle in sight. And the wind has finally died down!

@Region: 80+ inches of snow - seriously? That would have been crazy.
George

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 02:14 pm
@littlek,
WHDH had some eye-popping video of water gushing out of Horn Pond and
into the Aberjona. Gonna be a lot of stuff going for cheap on Craigslist soon.
littlek

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 02:17 pm
@George,
I almost want to drive through the town I work in just to see it. I know that people are canoeing on a soccer field downtown.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 02:20 pm
@littlek,

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/8096/kgrainvssnow.jpg
Linkat

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 02:23 pm
@Region Philbis,
Well at least Garnett might get through it.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 02:25 pm
@Linkat,
with snow shoes mebbe...

wonder if they come in his size.

hmmmmmm.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 02:26 pm
@Region Philbis,
Howza!
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 09:44 pm
This is why I moved from Boston to SoCAL. If it rains here for two days everyone makes a big deal. To me it's just an average week in Boston. 99% of the time it's gorgeous here.
0 Replies