Coffee Party Is Brewing

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 12:52 pm
http://coffeepartyusa.com/

Quote:
MISSION: The Coffee Party Movement gives voice to Americans who want to see cooperation in government. We recognize that the federal government is not the enemy of the people, but the expression of our collective will, and that we must participate in the democratic process in order to address the challenges that we face as Americans. As voters and grassroots volunteers, we will support leaders who work toward positive solutions, and hold accountable those who obstruct them.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2010/02/26/DI2010022602928.html

Excerpts:

Quote:

Annabel Park, founder of Coffee Party USA, a grassroots online Facebook/Coffee Party) network which advocates cooperation among elected representatives and promotes civil public discourse, was online Friday, Feb. 26, at 2 p.m. ET to discuss an alternative to the Tea Party movement.

Quote:
Annabel Park: A key difference is in our emphasis on the democratic process, on respectful and civil engagement with one another and with our elected officials.

In the current climate, too many Americans are afraid to participate, and find the process itself too alienating, because it is dominated by people with extreme opinions and extreme tactics.

It's hard to speak up when others in the room are screaming.

So in the end, we may want some of the same things, but we our hoping our journey getting there will be very different.

Quote:
Annabel Park: We are purely grassroots movement, independent of any party, corporation, or lobbying organization. That is our strength and we plan to use it to facilitate a collaborative process that would encourage people to come together as a community, checking party affiliation at the door.

Many of the people who have found refuge in the Coffee Party community are among the 53% of America who supported candidate Obama's vision for our nation's future. They are disconcerted by the vision that is being expressed through some of the Tea Party activities and some of their leaders' statements. But we do have a number of Republicans and many, many independents who reject what they see as the politics of division and obstructionism.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/02/us/politics/02coffee.html

Quote:
Fed up with government gridlock, but put off by the flavor of the Tea Party, people in cities across the country are offering an alternative: the Coffee Party.

The Coffee Party began on Facebook as a Tea Party alternative.
Growing through a Facebook page, the party pledges to “support leaders who work toward positive solutions, and hold accountable those who obstruct them.”

It had nearly 40,000 members as of Monday afternoon, but the numbers were growing quickly " about 11,000 people had signed on as fans since the morning.

“I’m in shock, just the level of energy here,” said the founder, Annabel Park, a documentary filmmaker who lives outside Washington. “In the beginning, I was actively saying, ‘Get in touch with us, start a chapter.’ Now I can’t keep up. We have 300 requests to start a chapter that I have not been able to respond to.”

Quote:
This summer, Ms. Park said, the party will hold a convention in the Midwest, with a slogan along the lines of “Meet Me in the Middle.” The party has inspired the requisite jokes: why not a latte party, a chai party, a Red Bull party? But Ms. Park said that while the Coffee Party " and certainly the name " was formed in reaction to the Tea Party, the two agree on some things, like a desire for fiscal responsibility and a frustration with Congress.

“We’re not the opposite of the Tea Party,” Ms. Park, 41, said. “We’re a different model of civic participation, but in the end we may want some of the same things.”

The Tea Party argues for stripping the federal government of many of its roles, and that if government has to be involved, it should be mostly state governments.

“The way I see it,” Ms. Park said, “our government is diseased, but you don’t abandon it because it’s ill. It’s the only body we have to address collective problems.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 2,206 • Replies: 28

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 12:56 pm
Sounds a bit like many of the grassroots folks who campaigned for Obama and were very disappointed when he allowed his grassroots movement to be absorbed into the DNC at the end of the campaign. A lot of his grassroots folks considered themselves independent of either party and have refused to invest in the DNC's adoption/adaptation of the movement. This Coffee Party gives them an outlet for continuing their efforts.

Here's the Facebook page, if you're interested in following the activity:

http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=coffee&init=quick#!/coffeeparty?ref=search&sid=748555213.1401235891..1
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 01:42 pm
Clever. Ha.

Coffee and Tea fight over who get's the sugar and creme.

Tea
K
Or Coffee?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 03:04 pm
I'm starting my own group:

The Wine Party Movement

Much more fun than tea or coffee.
George

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 03:05 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

The Wine Party Movement

Where do I sign up?
Linkat

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 03:11 pm
@George,
Right here so far two members:

George and Linkat - ok so what will we talk about -

I know how stupid the tea and coffee parties are. Here have some cheese (ya gotta have cheese with your wine).
George

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 03:38 pm
@Linkat,
Thank you.
A little more cabernet?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 03:43 pm
@Butrflynet,
It's all good until one morning they find out they forgot to buy the coffee. Those kind of people can be the most dangerous to confront at these trying times. Lord if you ever find yourself stuck between a caffeine addict and her morning cup of coffee. Pray for a quick and relative painless death.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 03:48 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

The Wine Party Movement

That leaves the best dang alternative party out there for me! Ladies and gentlemen! I am looking for volunteers for The Hot Chocolate Party, not going to compromise with the Hot Cocoa fanatics of the political spectrum but actual hot chocolate in its most delicious and authentic form.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:16 pm
I see where this is going, and so I'll just pull out some big guns early.

I hereby found the Whiskey and Cocaine party. I'm not asking for membership, I'm claiming people. Gary Busey & Lindsey Lohan 2010!

T
K
O
Linkat

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:17 pm
@Diest TKO,
That is waaaayy too serious stuff for me - after you are all done - you won't be able to discuss anything.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:20 pm
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

I see where this is going, and so I'll just pull out some big guns early.

I hereby found the Whiskey and Cocaine party. I'm not asking for membership, I'm claiming people. Gary Busey & Lindsey Lohan 2010!

T
K
O

We need to bring in the United Nations to monitor your group now during election day. You'll likely seize control of the election night and declare yourself the winner of the election. Confused
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:20 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

That is waaaayy too serious stuff for me - after you are all done - you won't be able to discuss anything.

There's already too much talk in Washington! That's the point! The WCP believes that the best way to govern is to blindly fire into the dark with wild--no, the wildest accusations possible and then shout as loud as we can until everyone gives up and we win.

T
Kick Ass!
O
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:26 pm
I think I'm probably the only italian digestivo party starter. That way I'll get to be the leader and lone follower. But the companies who make that stuff would probably send me some cute little glasses..

I could advertise on the Only in Italy blog and have a side effect of making trouble for Berlusconi.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:28 pm
@ossobuco,
Time for me to thank BFN for the link. I saw the headline but hadn't read the article yet.

I quail (quale?) at the word collective, though, in one of the first quotes. Reminds me of someone.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:30 pm
@ossobuco,
You can also run on the Pro-Spumoni platform.
http://img.timeinc.net/recipes/i/recipes/su/07/09/ice-cream-su-630055-l.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
But I like the labels on the amari..

http://shop.pubandpublicans.it/img/p/35-105-thickbox.jpg

and, just think, it goes with coffee.

I'm dumb about spumoni. I think I've only had it once, when I was about nine, probably in new york.
But, I could start the gelato faction with ease.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:39 pm
@ossobuco,
Gelato is also a fine platform to stand on ... um ... sit down and consume ... um... I'm screwing up my own analogy but I think you can get the drift.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 05:05 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

The Wine Party Movement

now you're talkin'....or wining... Drunk Wink
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 08:18 pm
Who else wants to join the Abstinence Party?