Cna yuo raed tihs?

Setanta

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 06:43 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
I don't think anyone was seriously suggesting that, Setanta.

People suggest that spelling doesn't matter all time, whether or not it has been suggested in this thread.
msolga

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 06:44 am
@Setanta,
Sure, but I thought you were talking about posts to this thread.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 06:49 am
@djjd62,
Exactly. We can decipher this because we have a solid grounding in orthography and context.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 02:15 pm
Does this apply to any language msolga?
msolga

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:28 pm
@Dorothy Parker,
I honestly don't know for sure, Dorothy, but I'd guess it would.

Nice to see you here again! Very Happy
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:41 pm
@msolga,
itself
Linkat

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:42 pm
@Linkat,
sjut tabi bheind
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 06:04 pm
Cna yuo raed tihs?

If you can read this, thank a teacher. (Seen on a bumper sticker)
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:43 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
(i refuse to use the phony verb "keyboarding"),

You just did.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:49 pm
Quote:

http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/people/matt.davis/Cmabrigde/

This text circulated on the internet in September 2003. I first became aware of it when a journalist contacted a my colleague Sian Miller on 16th September, trying to track down the original source. It's been passed on many times, and in the way of most internet memes has mutated along the way. It struck me as interesting - especially when I received a version that mentioned Cambridge University! I work at Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit, in Cambridge, UK, a Medical Research Council unit that includes a large group investigating how the brain processes language. If there's a new piece of research on reading that's been conducted in Cambridge, I thought I should have heard of it before...

I've written this page, to try to explain the science behind this meme. There are elements of truth in this, but also some things which scientists studying the psychology of language (psycholinguists) know to be incorrect. I'm going to break down the meme, one line at a time to illustrate these points, pointing out what I think is the relevant research on the role of letter order on reading. Again, this is only my view of the current state of reading research, as it relates to this meme. If you think I've missed something important, let me know [[email protected]].
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 03:05 pm
The language of mathematics does not take kindly to arbitrary changes, the presence or absence of even a comma makes all the difference in the world.
patiodog

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 06:15 pm
@Chumly,
Or the national origin of the comma...
Chumly

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 01:25 am
@patiodog,
The language of mathematics does not take kindly to the national origin of the comma?
0 Replies