Cna yuo raed tihs?

msolga

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 07:03 pm
Just read this (with no problem at all! Surprised Very Happy )
An extract from a letter to the editor published published today.

About slpeling.

Cna yuo raed tihs? Mnay plepoe cna. Aoccdrnig ot rscheearch ta Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, ti dseno't mtaetr ni waht oerdr teh ltteres ni a wrod aer, teh olny iproamtnt tihng si taht ti hples fi teh frsit adn/ro lsat ltteer aer ni teh rghit pclae. Tihs si bcuseae teh huamn mnid deos nto raed ervey lteter yb istlef, btu teh wrod sa a wlohe. Azanmig, hhu? Adn I awlyas tghuhot slpeling wsa ipmorantt! Nwo waht deos tihs tlel su aobut teh tchaenig fo phnocis vrsues teh wlohe wrod mhtoed?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 17 • Views: 5,085 • Replies: 52
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 07:10 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Cna yuo raed tihs? Mnay plepoe cna. Aoccdrnig ot rscheearch ta Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, ti dseno't mtaetr ni waht oerdr teh ltteres ni a wrod aer, teh olny iproamtnt tihng si taht ti hples fi teh frsit adn/ro lsat ltteer aer ni teh rghit pclae. Tihs si bcuseae teh huamn mnid deos nto raed ervey lteter yb istlef, btu teh wrod sa a wlohe. Azanmig, hhu? Adn I awlyas tghuhot slpeling wsa ipmorantt! Nwo waht deos tihs tlel su aobut teh tchaenig fo phnocis vrsues teh wlohe wrod mhtoed?

What's istlef? I can decipher all of the words up to this point. Or mhtoed as well...?
msolga

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 07:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
What's istlef?

Pardon? Confused
engineer

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 07:13 pm
@tsarstepan,
I don't think you are supposed to decipher it, just read it as fast as possible. "istlef" is "itself". "mhtoed" is "method".
msolga

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 07:15 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Or mhtoed as well...?

Actually, I'm stumped on mhtoed, too.

istlef = itself, I guess.

What surprised me was how quickly & easily I managed to read the rest!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 07:16 pm
@engineer,
Ah!

Method.

Thanks, engineer! Very Happy
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 07:19 pm
Ok fine, but if a person is going to go to all the trouble to use all of the right letters they may as well take one more step and put them in the right order. I also point out that many people could not use the correct punctuation to save their lives, and it is important to do so in order to decode your example.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 07:19 pm
Every word. Have to think about maybe 1 in 10 words, though.

Now, can you write a poem by the first and/or last letter formula that can be read in two completely different ways? Would need some real OCD to try, I s'pose.

Wonder what it means if you can't read it at all? Or if you can read it as quickly as properly spelled/ordered text? Might be some usefulness to the study of so-called learning disorders there...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 07:21 pm
@msolga,
Lol!

There was a huge rash of threads about this a while back.

Very funny they were too.

Or oot. Ro oto.
sozobe

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 07:22 pm
@msolga,
The small words are messed up according to the rules in the paragraph ("ti," "ni," "fo," etc.)

I'd love to see that poem, patiodog.
msolga

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 07:24 pm
I wonder how my spellchecker would respond to this? Smile

Here's the letter to the editor in it's entirety:

Quote:
Is slpeling ipmorantt?

THE following passage, or variations of it, has been circulating on the internet for years. Maybe it can contribute to the debate about how to teach reading.

Aaron Ninedek, Caulfield North

http://www.theage.com.au/national/letters/wonderful-news-for-investors-20100301-pdi6.html
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 07:28 pm
@engineer,
Thanks Engineer. I did read it but still stumbled on these two words.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 07:29 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
I'd love to see that poem, patiodog.

Yes, me, too!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 07:44 pm
@dlowan,
I'm in trouble with this:

Translation, please?

Quote:
Or oot. Ro oto.
sozobe

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 07:45 pm
@msolga,
"or too," spelled creatively.

"or oot" flaunts the rules though, flaunts i say, since neither the first nor the last letter are where they are supposed to be. someone fetch a ruler for a knuckle-wipapnhg.

*whapping
msolga

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 07:47 pm
@sozobe,
Thank you, soz.

You're good at this! Smile
sozobe

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 07:48 pm
@msolga,
It's kinda what I do. I get ittle bits and pieces of what people are saying (via lipreading) and then fill in the blanks.
msolga

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 07:50 pm
@sozobe,
Really?
That's really interesting.
sozobe

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 07:53 pm
@msolga,
I was just thinking about this because I was concerned that sozlet (whose eyesight recently got worse but who has new glasses that are supposed to correct things again) couldn't read something that I could read, in the distance. I realized that just in terms of pure *seeing* I couldn't really see it either, I'd just figured out what it said via context, what letters were most likely to be next to the ones I could see, etc. Many people can, that's not really that unique, but it's how I get along in general (some solid hooks of data on which to hang a lot of educated guesses).
OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 07:54 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Just read this (with no problem at all! Surprised Very Happy )
An extract from a letter to the editor published published today.

About slpeling.

Taht's fsaicntanig!