I Think the Healthcare System Is Perfect

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 03:52 pm
Nothing is going to be done, forcing people to go to er for treatment, forcing easy fixes to turn into crisis care, meaning the cost of services and insurance premiums will continue to keep rising dramatically, far past the amount of money it would cost to subsidize health care for all the uninsured or sick people with pre-existings, so the very people who are whining and moaning end up spending even more of their money to subsidize health care. For their extra money these people get to sit on their high horse and be comforted in the fact that they're so much better people and more worthy citizens than the uninsured.

I like the current system. It's a real win win and the pricks are picking up the cost.

boomerang

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 05:45 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Thank you for posting.
Your post is very important to us.
If this post is an emergency please sign off and call 911.
Please continue to hold and one of our consultants will respond to your post in the order it was recieved.
The approximate wait time for a response is .... 54.... minutes.
Thank you for holding.

<insert one minute of "Girl From Ipanema">

Thank you for posting.
Your post is very important to us.

ad infinitum
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 07:17 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Actually, I'm sorry for being so glib.

I realized this could be about The Cub. We have some of the same problems when it comes to Mo and I know how completely it sucks. You want nothing more than to care for your kids and insurance companies try to **** you over a hundred different ways. It's heartbreaking.

I'm sorry Bear. If you need to vent I'll listen.

XO,

boomerang
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 01:29 am
no offense taken boom. xxoo

I do find it amusing to no end that the very people who are against healthcare reform will be the ones picking up the tab for people they'd rather die than help.
dadpad

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 01:38 am
our health system usually works well. i guess with any major system there are glitches.
unfortunatly my boss is a glitch.
his son has been evaluated as needing a kidney removed.
Te was placed on the 90 day waiting list.
90 days was up on FEB 10.
Still waiting
enquiries elicit the response that they will be informed by mail as to the operation date.
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 05:53 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Nothing is going to be done, forcing people to go to er for treatment, forcing easy fixes to turn into crisis care, meaning the cost of services and insurance premiums will continue to keep rising dramatically, far past the amount of money it would cost to subsidize health care for all the uninsured or sick people with pre-existings, so the very people who are whining and moaning end up spending even more of their money to subsidize health care. For their extra money these people get to sit on their high horse and be comforted in the fact that they're so much better people and more worthy citizens than the uninsured.

I like the current system. It's a real win win and the pricks are picking up the cost.

I agree. The country could benefit enormously from a system that guarantees health care for everyone. The thing I would add, though, is that when and if the implement the health care system that we both agree the country needs, I hope they do so in a way that doesn't bankrupt the country, and doesn't simply produce rationed medicine with long waiting lists. We absolutely do need guaranteed health care for everyone, but Congress is fond of giving the people presents so that they can say that they did, without making the hard choices necessary to pay for them. They also like to create the illusion of progress, pushing the actual costs on to the next generation.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 09:33 am
Brandon I agree completely. We don't want to bankrupt the country but as one of the uninsurable, and not a person who doesn't recognize the value of insurance I know that medical costs are a burden to me in more than one way. First off, every time I go to the doctor or the hospital I have to make monthly payments if it's over a certain amount and it's ALWAYS over a certain amont, and I don't get the procedures I need to have. I'm almost 61 and I haven't had a PSA, colonoscopy ( and I've had ulcerative colitis in thepast), lab work, anything like that done in a bunch of years. so that if something like that does turn up wrong with me it will be like in 2005 when I ignored a simple gall bladder procedure and then almost died because my entire upper body went septic. A simple keyhole procedure, in and out in a day, turned into a 13 day ordeal, a death watch around my bed, a full YEAR of recovery due to complications, untold anguish to my family and a bill so large it DID bankrupt me, all because I coudn't get any insurance. Today no one will insure me and I just pray to stay healthy another 3.5 years so I can get on medicare and I don't go to the doc or the ER unless it's a major emergency. BTW their excuse for not insuring me now is my pre existing due to my gall bladder surgery and complications... even though the gall bladder is GONE!!!!!

One of these days I will start pssing blood or shitting bloodclots or something and I will hear from my doctor "If you had come in early and we had detected this we could have taken care of it" I will then suck ALL the care I can out of the system at the customary DOUBLE THE RATE they charge the uninsured, another briliiant idea, and then I'll die nastily and leave a HUGE bill unpaid for the system to absorb.

Now multiply that by thousands of people and tell me about how we can't have healthcare reform because it will bankrupt the system. We can't NOT have healthcare reform or it will surely, as it is right now, bankrupt the country.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 09:34 am
@dadpad,
I'm really sorry to hear that. Truly.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 09:36 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
I hear you, bear.

I am fighting a losing battle.

Once I enter the "health system" I will be in debt forever, or have to bankrupt.

forever is relative, btw...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 09:56 am
thst's why I spend so much time at the gym and tend to my diet. It's the cheapest preventative medicine.
panzade

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 10:01 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Quote:
I do find it amusing to no end that the very people who are against healthcare reform will be the ones picking up the tab for people they'd rather die than help.

That's it in a nutshell bear.

And I see Brandon's fear as prevalent with all my friends who have great coverage.

I, like you, have a pistol at my head called advancing age. I only have a couple of clicks left in the present system.
maporsche

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 10:02 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Good on you Bear. Sorry to hear about your situation, but I think you're at least doing everything you can to stay healthy.

Most people don't.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 10:03 am
I have to say though that I think Brandon is sincere in his recognition of the fact we need reform. After all these years I can kind of tell when he's being serious and not trying to pick a fight.

I can't believe I just said that. Mr. Green
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 10:05 am
@maporsche,
I'm not trying to paint myself as a sympathetic figure, just speaking to the issue from personal experience. but thanks for the kind words. I've lived a pretty good life and the practical truth is I've probably only got 10 to 20 years left, but I worry about my kids and theirs.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 10:06 am
@panzade,
panzade wrote:
And I see Brandon's fear as prevalent with all my friends who have great coverage.

It should be a fear of everyone.

The older, greatest generation will not be around to pay the bill. I'm glad that many of them don't seem to be too concerned with leaving my generation (and my children's, children's generation) with the tab..

That being said; I think we should provide healthcare for everyone, but I think Brandon has a huge point which should be everyone's immediate concern.

I understand that this may not be possible for someone currently dealing without healthcare and is sick.

Bear, is it possible to get a job at a major corporation who will provide even the uninsurable with healthcare? Hell, even Walmart healthcare would be better than none, right?
Rockhead

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 10:08 am
@maporsche,
Walmart is a business, Brandon.

sick people don't work as hard as healthy people.

it's a vicious circle...

(and most small businesses can not provide health care assistance)
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 10:11 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Brandon I agree completely....We can't NOT have healthcare reform or it will surely, as it is right now, bankrupt the country.

I'm really sorry to hear about your medical situation. Everyone should understand this, because anybody can come down with something serious at any minute, and everyone will get old. Unfortunately, it's hard to get good laws passed with representatives whose only real skill is in seeming to be nice, and whose only real interest is self-interest.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 10:16 am
@Rockhead,
There are age descrimination laws in place. It might not be 'easy' to find a job at a major firm that has healthcare (hell, is it easy to find a job anywhere right now?). But it might be worth trying, I mean it's a person's life we're talking about.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 10:18 am
@maporsche,
you mean lie about my health to get a job?
maporsche

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 10:22 am
@Rockhead,
No. It's against the law to ask a person about their health in a job application/interview. If they do ask, you can file a descrimination suit.

Walmart (or wherever) never needs to know about your health problems. It's yours and your doctor's business, not theirs. All they need to know is if you can perform the duties of the job.