George

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 08:45 am
@Roberta,
Someone once told me -- though I'm not sure I believe him -- that he answered
the "starving children in China" ploy with "Name two."
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 10:02 am
While I was being born the heroic Vietnamese were defeating the French in the battle of Diem Biem Phu.

Oh, and my starving children were Cuban.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 10:39 am
We were offered no reason to clean the plate beyond "or else." It worked.

First vague memory of a public event was Reagan getting shot, though plenty of home-based memories precede it.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 11:49 am
I remember Reagan getting shot, I was not quite 3. The first big event that really impacted me, though, was the 1986 Challenger shuttle explosion. I was in 1st grade and I remember a teacher walking into our classroom crying and told our teacher that we were having an assembly in the cafeteria. We all got shuffled into the cafetorium and watched it all on TV.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 12:30 pm
Oh interesting! Thanks, all.

The first public memory I have is probably the moon landing. I would have been 8 years old. My parents made us all get up out of bed and watch. Very cool stuff.
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 06:35 am
I remember all the stuff on TV about bodies being buried and finding bodies that the NY mafia was involved in.
My hubby was told by his mom...."eat your food there is starving children in China", he says , well, "send it to them" and he got the broom stick broken over his back.....he has not changed.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2017 01:35 pm
@boomerang,
Were we ever so young and naïve back in 2010?

Note to 2010 Boomerang:
Trump is going to be president in 2017. Please warn the Democratic Party and the world about this pending apocalypse.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2017 02:03 pm
I was just a young kid when Teddy Roosevelt charged up San Juan Hill. I was there. Well, kinda, anyway.

I was old enough to be a water carrier and potato peeler for the Rough Riders, back in camp.
roger

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2017 04:56 pm
@layman,
And I had KP duty at The Lord's Last Supper. Sure I did.
Sturgis

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2017 05:45 pm
@roger,
Well I assisted some guy named Hammurabi craft his famous code.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2017 05:59 pm
@Sturgis,
Wait, didn't he have a garden?
roger

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2017 06:47 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

Wait, didn't he have a garden?

Yeah, and I helped weed it.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2017 07:04 pm
All I remember was leaving the shoebox in the middle of the road that the 19 of us lived in, and having to find bits of coal to eat as we walked up hill both ways to and from school, in an ice storm through the desert.
dlowan

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2017 09:57 pm
@boomerang,
I was a baby when Australia decided it was cool to let the UK explode nuclear bombs in the north western part of our state.

They never cleaned up. They knowingly exposed soldiers to the bomb. They were told to close their eyes and turn their backs.

A number of Aboriginal people were missed when they rounded up the local aboriginal people and moved them away from the bomb sites. They got nuked too.
dlowan

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2017 09:59 pm
@chai2,
LUXURY!
0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2017 04:58 am
@Setanta,
I have a feeling I could be everybodys grandmother.
The day the Korean war started I was invited by a friend to a ball - he called and cancelled - all young men in the military were called up for military service and were not allowed to leave the barracks.
Can you imagen - in Sweden. That is how serious Sweden took the Korean war.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2017 07:00 pm
@dlowan,
Dandy folks, those Brits. I guess they figured, "What the hell, just a bunch of convicts".

0 Replies