Well you were just a baby.....

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 08:40 pm
Mo asked me tonight when the Iraq war started and I said 2002 (okay I missed it by a bit.... or did I?).

"You were just a baby then..."

And he said : "No. I mean the current war. The one where Uncle is."

I said "Yeah. You were a baby when it started."

Freaky!

I was just 3 when JKF was killed.

So.

What time warps you back to "you were just a baby when...."?

Thanks!

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 08:46 pm
@boomerang,
I was a mere toddler at the tail end of the Vietnam War since I was born in 1971.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 08:46 pm
@boomerang,
I was just a baby when big hair and stone washed jeans were thought to be a good idea.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 08:50 pm
@boomerang,
I was exactly one month old at the time of the D-Day Invasion.
oolongteasup

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 08:54 pm
@roger,
you were just another babe in my arms
roger

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 09:01 pm
@oolongteasup,
You wear your age well, then.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 09:05 pm
@oolongteasup,
And you were but a teenager babysitting for me.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 09:14 pm
We were in the middle of WW II when I was born.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 09:17 pm
@boomerang,
Man, I don't even know what I missed out when I was younger. I never payed attention to the news, I never watched TV, unless it was a movie my parents had rented. Even now, if it wasn't for the internet I wouldn't know anything that happened around the world because I never watch Tv any more
Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 04:21 am
The Korean War started a few months before i was born, and the armistice was signed less than three years later. The first public events which i recall being aware of were Sputnik and the death of Pope Pius XII--both of those around 1957 or -58. I didn't really understand about Sputnik (why it was such a big deal) but i thought it was truly super cool. The Pope? Eh . . . everybody said it was a big deal.
dadpad

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 04:37 am
i remember NOT having a television.
i remember getting one.

I dont recall any major current events until I was older. I dont think we had any of those.
Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 04:43 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:
i remember NOT having a television.
i remember getting one.

Yeah, i remember that, too. And my grandmother's frustration that we weren't watching the tee vee . . . well, we didn't want to miss our favorite radio programs.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 04:57 am
@Seed,
Seed wrote:

Man, I don't even know what I missed out when I was younger. I never payed attention to the news, I never watched TV, unless it was a movie my parents had rented. Even now, if it wasn't for the internet I wouldn't know anything that happened around the world because I never watch Tv any more

I think that's the very nature of many of us here (or at least me) ... how we experienced during our childhoods. I think the term is blissful ignorance of the greater world and the big picture around us.

With this generation, not only do they have greater access to the big picture, they are somewhat targeted for good and bad by the latest generation of the media with messages about the proverbial forest as well as the trees.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 05:49 am
I became aware of the Korean War when my Mom informed me we were fighting. I hoped we would win. I felt a bit of fear that we might get invaded, with memories fresh of getting taught to duck and hide our heads in the classroom. We lived in fear the USSR might launch a nuclear attack.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 06:27 am
@boomerang,
JFK was killed when i was about 11 months old

i was 4 1/2 during the detroit riots

i was 6 1/2 when man landed on the moon (we were camping and apparently someone had a portable television, but i don't really remember it)

the first real news events i can remember being interested in was nixon resigning, the last chopper leaving vietnam

the news period that sort of defines my generation (personally anyway) is the son of sam, jim jones and the death of john lennon
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 07:17 am
I was born a year after World War II ended. All the soldiers had come home and were trying to find work. The first thing I remember is that some guy named Truman was elected president.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 07:23 am
I remember the year I went to camp
I heard about some lady named Selma and some blacks
Somebody put their fingers in the President's ears
It wasn't too much later they came out with Johnson's wax
I remember the book depository where they crowned the king of Cuba
Now that's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's something else
Way down inside me I can feel it coming back

0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 07:46 am
I was born between VE Day and VJ Day. I share a birthday with the UN.
I remember my grandmother trying to guilt me into eating my veggies with
tales of starving war orphans in Korea.
Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 07:59 am
@George,
George wrote:
I remember my grandmother trying to guilt me into eating my veggies with tales of starving war orphans in Korea.

Upon hearing a similar remark, my brother once suggested that his dinner be packed up and mailed to them . . .

. . . he got knocked off his chair.
Roberta

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 08:27 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

George wrote:
I remember my grandmother trying to guilt me into eating my veggies with tales of starving war orphans in Korea.

Upon hearing a similar remark, my brother once suggested that his dinner be packed up and mailed to them . . .

. . . he got knocked off his chair.

My mother was always telling me to eat because people were starving in Europe (different war). I said the same thing to her. I don't remember much after that.