Horseback Riding: Where can it be done for cheap?

RadAndRandom

Sun 11 Apr, 2010 07:30 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso, I just looked up horseback riding in Chatsworth and in Griffith Park. I got websites where you pay for riding lessons (to which you bring your own horse) but I didn't find anything very useful...?
And San Fernando Valley is actually further away.. over an hour from me.
ossobuco

Sun 11 Apr, 2010 07:36 pm
@RadAndRandom,
I'm no expert, R&R. I just have known some people into horses over the years and I know nothing at all about local riding opportunities, as I don't ride.

When I was a kid, living for a few years in the chicago area, we could, as children, go to the local forest preserve and sign up for a horse for an hour.
This was a long time ago.

I think ehBeth is probably right, that facilities are very wary by now about insurance matters.
RadAndRandom

Sun 11 Apr, 2010 07:40 pm
@ossobuco,
For free? Wow, I wonder if there's any place like that now, where kids can go and sign up for a horse & go horseback riding without paying a huge amount?

And yeah.. that's true. People only ruin things for themselves when they drag everything and everyone to court. They just lose the priviledge.. and ruin it for others too.
ossobuco

Sun 11 Apr, 2010 08:28 pm
@RadAndRandom,
I did ride in a forest preserve as a kid. Let me guess, a few dollars. This was only a couple of times.

I'm not a horsewoman, though I've had a cousin who stabled horses in her yard and a business partner very involved in dressage.

Me, I spent some time at the tracks as a teen and I still mildly follow racing a long time later.

I don't know what to tell you for advice. Probably read online info.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 11 Apr, 2010 08:35 pm
@RadAndRandom,
No, not free, but I doubt it was a lot of money, per hour.

Hah, my horse that bucked was named Johnny. I was zoned in on his bucking. My first ride on a horse, which I figured out later was nothing

but now, I wonder what happened to him.
0 Replies