Horseback Riding: Where can it be done for cheap?

Sat 20 Feb, 2010 12:43 am
I've never been horseback riding in my life, and it has always been a top priority on my list of things to do. Recently, I looked up info on a ranch an hour away in Hollywood, but it's too expensive there. I would like to go horseback riding for around 4 hours, but those are about $100 per person. Is there anywhere I can ride a horse for cheaper, does anyone know?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 3,719 • Replies: 24
Topic Closed
No top replies

dadpad

Sat 20 Feb, 2010 07:35 am
http://www.highcountryhorses.com.au/

Half Day - $90
0 Replies

jespah

Sat 20 Feb, 2010 08:46 am
@RadAndRandom,
It just seems to be really expensive these days (probably due to insurance costs). And that doesn't just seem to be confined to where you are -- here in Mass., it seems to run at least $75 for an hour. http://www.orchardhillequestriancenter.com/Intro_lesson.html

I know I sound like an old fart but I recall rather well that $75 used to cover a course of several lessons. Ah well.
0 Replies

RadAndRandom

Sun 21 Feb, 2010 02:49 pm
Dadpad,
I purposely mentioned Hollywood in order to give an idea where I live. I'm not about to swim across the ocean to Australia just to ride a horse. Very Happy

& Jespah,
Psssshhhh, that's why I always wish I lived during those times. 10cent ice cream, a few dollars for a bike....
And of course the pay was smaller. Hah. That's the flaw in my daydream...
jespah

Sun 21 Feb, 2010 03:31 pm
@RadAndRandom,
Uh, I ain't old enough to remember 10 cent ice cream. I'm born during the Kennedy Admin.
RadAndRandom

Sun 21 Feb, 2010 05:05 pm
@jespah,
I exaggerated a little. I'm just speaking of the "good old times" in general. The ones I missed. Sad
jespah

Mon 22 Feb, 2010 06:55 am
@RadAndRandom,
No harm -- my parents certainly remember stuff like that. We moved to NY in 1972 and my father was appalled that gasoline was -- shudder -- 32 cents per gallon.
RadAndRandom

Tue 23 Feb, 2010 12:07 am
@jespah,
Ahahahahhahahahhah. Oh wow. Very Happy
Goodness, how times have changed.

I remember when my family moved from Russia to the United States, and we didn't yet understand the difference in currency and often bought expensive things thinking they were cheap... Hah. But once we lost most of our savings, we began to think America was an expensive country and that people weren't being paid enough to be able to purchase what they need and want. (Though, really, I guess we were just shopping at the wrong stores...)
Then, the economy went down, and what we thought, indeed became true.
Turns out that back then, everything was swell. What we'd give to be back when "everything was expensive", because really, it wasn't at all.
jespah

Tue 23 Feb, 2010 05:10 am
@RadAndRandom,
I bet you've led an interesting life.

Where in Russia do you hail from (not that I know much)? My ancestry is kinda, sorta, Russky but mainly it's areas of Eastern Europe that have changed hands several times -- Romania, Poland, whatever. Helfino. Most of them moved either here or Israel. Here in the 1920s or so, Israel in the 1970s and 1980s. Plus I have a small branch of relations in Sweden. Hmm.
dadpad

Tue 23 Feb, 2010 05:43 am
@RadAndRandom,

RadAndRandom wrote:
I purposely mentioned Hollywood in order to give an idea where I live.

yep i know Twisted Evil

RadAndRandom wrote:
I'm not about to swim across the ocean to Australia just to ride a horse. Very Happy

Why not?

Well if you won't visit then go hire "The Man from snowy river" video.
Thats my backyard.
RadAndRandom

Fri 12 Mar, 2010 03:00 am
@jespah,
Oh, wow, they're scattered all of the place, aren't they?
I'm from a small town in Siberia-- the coldest part where snow could pile up to over 5 feet high. Hah.
I actually miss that now. California was not easy to adjust to after all the cold I was used to.

& ahah you actually remembered the Russian word for "Russian" -- "Russky". Haha. Awesome. I like you. Smile
RadAndRandom

Fri 12 Mar, 2010 03:02 am
@dadpad,
I am confused....?
Dadpad, what are you talking about....?
0 Replies

jespah

Fri 12 Mar, 2010 07:06 am
@RadAndRandom,
Well, thank you. Embarrassed

I like ya, too.

I bet you do spectacularly better in the cold than I do. Then, that's not hard to do -- I seem to be cold all the time.
RadAndRandom

Wed 31 Mar, 2010 09:51 pm
@jespah,
I'm the opposite. I'm hot all the time. Heh.
jespah

Thu 1 Apr, 2010 06:24 am
@RadAndRandom,
Then you should meet my husband (he posts on here as Region Philbis). We don't even argue about the temperature anymore (being married almost 18 years will do that to ya). I just hand him ice water and he hands me a sweatshirt. It's all good.
RadAndRandom

Sun 11 Apr, 2010 03:11 pm
@jespah,
Hahahahahaa. Wow. Well, whatever works!
What do you two do about the air conditioner/heater?
Or you just don't bother?
jespah

Sun 11 Apr, 2010 04:53 pm
@RadAndRandom,
He has to put the air conditioners in so unless it's super-sweltering, he won't bother. As for heat, that's easy. Fifty blankets for me, half a sheet for him (well, I exaggerrate but it sometimes feels like that).
tsarstepan

Sun 11 Apr, 2010 05:03 pm
@RadAndRandom,
RadAndRandom wrote:

Dadpad,
I purposely mentioned Hollywood in order to give an idea where I live. I'm not about to swim across the ocean to Australia just to ride a horse. Very Happy

Another more valid option is to ditch the earthquake prone West Coast and move to the the East Coast. To better describe the move, from the Butt of the country to the head ... (NYC for instance).

http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_things_to_do/facilities/af_horseback_riding.html
ossobuco

Sun 11 Apr, 2010 05:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
Hiss!

I'm from LA, RadandRandom, though I now live in New Mexico. I'd see what is available in the northern areas of the san fernando valley. Chatsworth? I'm just guessing.

They used to have riding in Griffith Park, but I don't know if that is still happening. Worse news is that I had an early friend who had a bad mishap there, but that was a zillion years ago.
RadAndRandom

Sun 11 Apr, 2010 07:19 pm
@jespah,
Hahahaha. Oh wow. That's horrible! Haha. And the entire night, he has to keep throwing off the covers that wander off onto his side of the bed while you scrounge for another free inch of cover you can add to your several-foot-high pile of blankets. Smile
I guess it's a win-win situation then!
0 Replies