Sorry, this isnt going to work for me

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 08:38 am
@hawkeye10,
You may be right. But I made the offer very attractive, with no requirement to recoup my costs or my time and all they need to do is come up with the bare minimum the site needs to operate (hosting and the license for the forum software it used, as the previous owner did not include that in the sale and will use it on another forum).

If that has no chance of being accepted then they had no chance of keeping their forum anyway. After all, if nobody else is willing to pay for it the forum would go offline. And in that context this isn't that bad of an alternative, and it's why we will continue to merge forums. At those sizes they just aren't very viable and the network effect and economy of scale of merging can keep a forum online that otherwise wouldn't be, and can help us by making us more diverse and active.

Not everyone will like it (like you, for example, no matter what it is) but that is par for the course. You can't please everyone, and in a forum of 10 people you are liable to have 25 opinions on how the forum should work and just about any change to a social site generates a bunch of agita. That is just how these things work. For example, every Facebook interface change generates hundreds of thousands of users claiming they hate it and that their use will decline (funny thing is, on able2know a lot of the users I've checked actual stats on for this kind of claim are not accurately accessing their own usage and their use pattern usually remains the same and sometimes even shows growth).

The ones who complain often don't realize that the ones who aren't upset aren't making noise, so they often falsely assume that their reaction is universal (like your royal, if nebulous "we"). Thing is, my goal here is to grow community, and I am a user myself. I eat my own dog food, and am my own client. So my motivations are largely aligned with the users. I want to see community viability. The disagreements are about how to achieve it.

And in making such decisions taking feedback from the community is important, but the best feedback from the users is the actual data on use. Vocal critics can skew the narrative and be absolutely convinced they are right about how the forum should run but I prefer, instead, to listen to empirical data and broader feedback than the self-proclaimed forum revolutionaries. If the data showed that you were right in your claims about the site I'd have reacted long ago. But it doesn't and folks like you are just very vocal, and consistently incorrect, critics. And these will always be with us, and the show must go on despite them.
Setanta

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 08:52 am
This is all just a popularity contest, ain't it? Don't lie to me, you ain't foolin' nobody . . .

(I got a LOT of ground to make up . . . )
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 11:18 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
And in making such decisions taking feedback from the community is important, but the best feedback from the users is the actual data on use. Vocal critics can skew the narrative and be absolutely convinced they are right about how the forum should run but I prefer, instead, to listen to empirical data and broader feedback than the self-proclaimed forum revolutionaries. If the data showed that you were right in your claims about the site I'd have reacted long ago. But it doesn't and folks like you are just very vocal, and consistently incorrect, critics. And these will always be with us, and the show must go on despite them.

You remind me of an the economist who will look at his data and proclaim that he knows that the job situation is fine because he can prove that the number of jobs is growing. Problem is he has no information about the quality of those jobs, the people in those jobs, the reality as it is lived by people. Not to say that there is not room in our world for technicians....your type in certain situations can be lifesavers, but techs need to be pointed in the right direction before they can do good things for people.

In my opinion you dont care about the right things, thus you did not understand the value of what you had at a2k. Not knowing, you undermined the value while reaching for growth. You and the managers of Toyoda should talk.

But the truth is also that we were never going to see eye to eye on a2k, we come from different worlds. That's OK. You had the right to do what you wanted with a2k. You are an ass sometimes but then so am I, not a problem for me. You will always have my gratitude, wanted by you or not, for the a2k as I found it when I arrived. You have proven be a classy guy by not banning me when I am sure that you wanted to do so, some here have wanted it so, and many in your shoes would have done it. Between that and what I know of your life story I am pretty sure that if we did not have our history here and met up in real life that we would get along well.

Re the Droids: no point in even talking about that. Time will tell if you waisted your money and time trying to buy members for a2k, or worse harmed a2k with turmoil and by proving a willingness to instigate turmoil.
Setanta

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 11:54 am
Now i'm sure of it. It's all a popularity contest, and you're trying to make an innocent, yet noble and self-sacrificing member like Hawkeye look bad so he won't win.

('Scuse me, i gotta go puke . . .)
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 01:01 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Re the Droids: no point in even talking about that. Time will tell if you waisted your money and time trying to buy members for a2k, or worse harmed a2k with turmoil and by proving a willingness to instigate turmoil.

This statement just goes to show that no good deed goes unpunished. Robert buys a board that is about to go kaput and gives it a new life with no perceivable benefit to himself, in fact just the opposite since he's got to put forth effort to integrate it into A2K immediately since the old board is using commercial software. For his effort, he gets responses like this. I hope the Droids like A2K, but if they don't, they should at least appreciate someone made an effort to save their board.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 01:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

trying to buy members for a2k, or worse harmed a2k with turmoil and by proving a willingness to instigate turmoil.

poppycock and piffle...

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 02:56 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Well, that should pretty much settle it.

Not sure humans work that way.
0 Replies

YankeeDudeL

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 10:44 pm
I'm another DroidMotorola guy and yes, I'm also very disappointed. Everyone's pretty much given the reasons, so there's no need to repeat them (even though I'm about to, lol), but my biggest gripe is the layout. DM was very user friendly and very easy to navigate. I did read that this site is looking to change soon, so I'll stick around for a bit to see if it fits my needs.

Most everyone seems very congenial and welcoming. That's the most important feature in any forum, so I will give it a go. I know, like I'm some kinda prize, right?

Anyway, if any of our old brethren is still hanging round, I've been very active over at AndroidForums.com. Maybe catch ya there.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 10:49 pm
@YankeeDudeL,
Welcome, yankee. We droid dummies get you need your space.
0 Replies

YankeeDudeL

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 11:02 pm
One feature I do like is the thumbs up. I was very active at a sports website that had this feature, and it really made me wish that every forum could have that.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 11:06 pm
@YankeeDudeL,
We have sports here too, including an ongoing fantasy olympics, which most of us participating roll our eyes at, but like.

We aren't all baddies.
0 Replies