Locked Thread

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 11:55 am
Such arguments as shut down Robert's thread are a downward spiral, a kick in the ass to the site creator. I suggest such ought to have separate threads if people want to pursue it after this.

timur

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 12:14 pm
Threads are systematically locked when Frank and I start fighting.

Sometimes it allows him to pretend he always "finishes" the argument.

Right now it prevents him to be told "go away, this place will be a lot better without you".

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 12:20 pm
I like grape wine and a warm house.
timur

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 12:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
Me too..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 01:32 pm
I have a history of not learning how to argue in my childhood, raised in a no-sassing and little discussion environment, and didn't take a class in logic until I was eighteen. Finally caught on to the joys of real discussion when I got to go to a fine university (free in those days), and benefitted greatly with all the fresh air of that. I still don't like arguments that are essentially repetitions but read or listen and occasionally even change my mind (oft slowly) with good back and forth debating or discussions. So, that's me. I now will speak up, but I tend to not go on and on. I've been crumby to a couple of people in the past, so, again, no saint, trying not to do that again.

What irritates me re some a2k stuff is that some are close to endlessly repetitive, followed by others feeding it. I'm not talking about two or three or five times, but hundreds.

I'm not real fond of rules, but I think those are a team after a while - the troll and the troll feeder, so I can see some of the new communities wanting surcease from that. It would be tricky. One can like both people, though vilifying may be going on from both. Sometimes being repetitive is meant to be clarifying and not bludgeoning. Additionally, some people's brains work that way (there is a character in a book I'm reading now, who at this point (about a third of the way through the book) seems to be a good guy, who has this repetitive behavior. The book is Nobody's Fool by Richard Russo.
At this point, my thinking is that the ignore button can take care of most of that, and blocking, the rest of it... if it's actually done.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 02:00 pm
The people in the referenced locked thread are in my estimation, good people to have on a forum. I would not single any out to criticize in a personal way.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 02:01 pm
Ma brother kilt a 'coon.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 03:17 pm
Fleas fleece flea, flee.

ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 03:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
I see I missed the point of the thread, oops.
snood

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 03:26 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I see I missed the point of the thread, oops.

Point? We don't need no steenking point!
ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 03:34 pm
@snood,
Yeah, but I sounded so serious..

I'll try not to fly.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 06:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
free glee plea ...
0 Replies

Tuna

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 07:51 pm
What locked thread?

There's a thing called "conflict habituation." It usually describes couples who have a stable relationship built on a mutual need for conflict.

Thing is, without conflict, there is no drama. Drama is what keeps people awake. Remember that Shakespeare play that started off really well, and then things went wonderfully, and it culminated in a happy dance?

Nobody remembers that play. Everybody fell asleep half way through. I don't know what William was thinking with that one.

Anyway. This is where you get off your high horse with your snobbery about intellectuals. I'm talking about posters who like to crap on intellectual threads. You know who you are.

The intellectual part redeems the drama.

Sort of.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 08:01 pm
I fell asleep, after "happy dance."
Tuna

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 08:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
Sweet dreams. Manana.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 08:10 pm
@Tuna,
Just teasing.
Tuna

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 08:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
I used to know a dude who was a solider in WW2. I freakin' loved that guy.

He would sometimes say "manana..." to mean something like.. "not now.." or "it'll work itself out.." I'm not sure.

If I may, in honor of Wild Bill Campbell, tell one of his stories.

He was working for Martin Marietta after the war. He had degrees in electronic and mechanical engineering, but not aeronautics. So it came to pass that Bill was asked to design a little airplane that would come out of a bigger airplane and go land itself (having taken spy photos or something.)

Bill completed the design. One day he came into work and here was a little note on his desk which said: "Your design is going to go into fugoid oscillations."

Bill thought: "hmm..."

His design went into construction and as it was nearly complete, he came into work and found a note on his desk which said: "Your design is going to go into fugoid oscillations." Bill thought: "Hmmm..."

It was the day of the test flight. The big airplane took off. Bill's little airplane came out and was on its way toward the landing strip when it started to bob up and down a little. The bobbing got bigger. And bigger.. until Bill's airplane exploded in mid-air from the stress.

And Bill thought.. "Ohhh.. fugoid oscillations."

What you have to understand is that some people would feel a lot of emotion if their design blew up on the test flight. Not Bill. Bill told me once: "People are going to think things about you. What you make of that.. is up to you."

I learned from Bill that though there may blood and gore and grand purposes all around you, you can just sit on a hill on an island in the Pacific and take meteorological readings... if you want to.

Thank you for your indulgence. Bill is gone. But not completely.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 08:41 pm
Egbert Sousé: My uncle, a balloon ascensionist, Effingham Hoofnagle, took a chance. He was three miles and a half up in the air. He jumped out of the basket of the balloon and took a chance of alighting on a load of hay.
Og Oggilby: Golly! Did he make it?
Egbert Sousé: Uh... no. He didn't. Had he been a younger man, he probably would have made it. That's the point. Don't wait too long in life.
(W C Fields)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 08:41 pm
@timur,
timur wrote:

Threads are systematically locked when Frank and I start fighting.

Sometimes it allows him to pretend he always "finishes" the argument.

Right now it prevents him to be told "go away, this place will be a lot better without you".

Takes at least two to tango. This statement proves it.
snood

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 09:13 pm
@dlowan,
I know you are, but what am I?