Perfection

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 07:23 am
Great sp I like that - my own little world no intrusions - just me and my soul. Unaware of time, place, or space.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 08:28 am
Peerfection
Well, shepaints, I'd love to have complete control even over my own little world. But things just come creeping in, regardless, and bang! there goes perfection . . .
0 Replies

Louish

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:18 am
Perfection
Outrageous arrogance. Paint is imperfect, always.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:49 am
Huh?
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 10:52 am
Perfection and imperfection it is only in one's eyes. I can not judge as imperfect something I have no knowledge of its purpose. Only the artist holds the real meaning and point of his or her creation, only they can see the perfection or imperfection in their work.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 11:11 am
Intriguing comment Louish, tell us more! By the way, welcome to A2K!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 11:18 am
Perfection is an elusive idealism.
0 Replies

Louish

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 01:51 pm
Picasso was an outrageously arrogant artist. To state he deliberately left imperfections in his work
is sheer hubris. Is he saying that he simply chose not to be perfect? For me the beauty of paint (Oil, Acrylic, Gouache, Dulux, Blood,etc) is that you have to negotiate with it, not control it. It is an expressive tool that does not lend itself to exactitude or perfection. If you want to create perfect images and ideas painting is going to leave you very frustrated. Picasso regarded serendipity as an integral part of the creative process, so where does that leave perfection. Perfection is a very subjective quality, you simply can't measure it, evaluate it or for that matter see it. We award it according to our own aesthetic or spiritual values and therefore it is arbitrary.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 02:08 pm
Louish - That is a very interesting concept on both Picasso and Perfection!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 02:11 pm
That's a bit clearer.

Every well known and successful artist I have ever met has a tone of arrogance. As Frank Lloyd Wright stated, "One has a choice of honest arrogance or insincere humility. I chose honest arrogance."

The photo realistic artist tries for perfection but it is subjective even if their technique appears perfect in the choice of subject matter, the composition or other elements of the visual arts which can be imperfect according to subjective opinion.

A perfection of technique can be the albatross around the neck of many would be artist and often an accomplished artist. Back to my favorite example (it would seem), it drove Pollock to drink and it killed him.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 03:28 pm
truth
Wonderful perspective, Louish. I agree that paint is always perfectly imperfect. That is its charm for me; in particular, the "painterly effect", which I most appreciate, reflects the artist's willingness to share control with the paint. PIcasso's serendipity provided a means to HIS particular perfection (see my comments on perfection above). The kind of "perfection of technique" to which Lightwizard refers can definitely be an albatross around the neck of an artist who demands complete control of a medium that when completely controlled is unexpressive.
BTW, by "expressive"I refer not only to the artist's expression but also to the expressiveness of the painting itself, how it permits/stimulates expressiveness of its viewers.
0 Replies

Louish

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 03:55 pm
Perfection
Since I'm new to this forum I should've introduced myself properly. Hello everybody apologies for appearing rude. I enjoyed Lightwizard's comments. Is it really a choice between honest arrogance or insincere humility ? Isn't honest arrogance simply a vigorous affirmation of self belief ? As for insincere humility, well I think that belongs to the truly arrogant. As an artist I have self belief but on occasions after a bad day in the studio wasting paint on ill conceived ideas I feel truly humbled.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 04:28 pm
The abstract expressionist revealed that if you give up that control and let intuition and subconscious inspiration take hold, you can start and art movement.

But Louish, we should have welcome you to A2K and the art forum. There is quite a mix of backgrounds here as I'm sure you'll find and we all learn from one another. Thus "Able 2 Know." Always a pleasure to see someone join in from Jolly Ole England!

Wright's comments, of course, have been echoed by none other that Ayn Rand who has reared up in our conscious more than once recently. Individual thought is where great things stem from and striving for perfection isn't bad. It's when an artist foolishly believes they've reached it where there's a problem. The greatest paintings show behind the paint the agony and the ecstasy (sic) of creating a work. That's perhaps the only achievable perfection.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:02 pm
Louish welcome to A2k. You are a welcome addition to the group.

Do you have a website where we can see your work or can you post some of it in the A2k Gallery?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:08 pm
If you don't have a site, Louish, the A2K Gallery is a good start to expose yourself. Please make sure you at least wear some sort of ornament over your nipple!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:08 pm
(Oh, pardon me, wrong thread...)
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 08:53 pm
To me, the arts provide a place where one can achieve a kind of perfection that is unobtainable in everyday life.

The artist is like a director in a play, with all the elements at his or her command....the characters, the play of light, the colours, the plot,
the spotlight, the materials, etc. The hope is to create a world that is infinitely more unified and perfect than the real world about him or her.

This is the theory, I'm not saying I achieve it, but it's the holy grail !
0 Replies

Louish

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 03:56 am
I have been trying to upload work to the A2K gallery without success. Everytime I try there's an error so I have given up. My website is: www.geocities.com/hawkinsart2003. I like shepaints' idea of the arts/creativity being a sanctuary or a sacred place that nurtures one's own inner world. Is the artistic journey a spiritual journey ? I like the idea that an artist should create their own sacred place where their inner life is explored, dignified and protected.

Nipple ornaments....now you're talking!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 09:45 am
The images have to be .jpeg or .gif and it's more likely to post if you move them from and Website that from your harddrive. There are some security patches which may interfere. Anybody else got any pointers on uploading images? There's also the Help button where you can get an answer from one of the moderators or a developer on uploading images.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 09:46 am
BTW, your link wouldn't work either. I'll try copying it and pasting it into IE.
0 Replies