Perfection

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 09:51 am
It was the period after the address causing the problem:

www.geocities.com/hawkinsart2003

Love the work -- somewhat similar to an artist I was showing in my gallery in Newporrt Beach, CA.

Do you consider your work as lyrical abstraction, color field or abstract expressionism?

The work is very much an answer to this question about perfection. You've perfected a style in composition and chroma ways which makes the word perfection an abstraction in itself.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 10:35 am
Here's an image from your site:

http://www.geocities.com/hawkinsart2003/redsea.jpg
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 10:38 am
1. Right click the image you want to post.

2. Click on Properties.

3. Copy the web address of the .jpeg file.

4. Use the post reply button on A2K.

5. Click on the IMG (Image) button.

5. Paste the address into a blank on the image pop-up window.

6. Post the reply.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 10:39 am
It's a bit different in the gallery -- just follow the instructions and use the copied address from properties.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 11:01 am
I really liked your work - the one Lightwizard posted was one i could definitely live with.
Very Happy
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 11:21 am
truth
Wonderful paintings. Most of it is what I love about painterly work at its best. I couldn't download gallery six, but among the others I particularly respond to Sierra 2 and Old Radio Talking (gallery 4); boat flag (gallery 2) and structure 1 and Closer (gallery 3). These I could live with joyfully. I wonder, how do you combine goache and acrylic? (if it's not a secret). Congratulations; you are a top notch artist.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 11:59 am
Louish great work I love your paintings. Thank you for fixing the link LW.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 12:55 pm
Perfection
Louish - Love the Archaeology series!

Haven't had time to view more than Gallery 1, but looking forward, and bookmarking.

BTW - Where do you get your titles?
0 Replies

Louish

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 02:36 pm
A big thank you to Lightwizard for sorting out the technical problems, and to you all for the positive comments, it's heartwarming. I started painting because I encountered Mark Rothko's grand scheme's twenty years ago and I fell in love. His work was the portal to a wide range of artists: Richter, Heron, Nolde far too many to mention. I don't to think of myself as a category, just a player. I'm happy to share practice, there are no secrets JL, but is this forum the right place ? I'm new and I don't want to hog the space. But quickly,
gouache provides good stains and glazes that gives depth and light over acrylic and gives space and altitude to texture. I play a lot - what else do you in a studio? - and I've discovered all sorts of approaches to creating images and I'll share them willingly. E mail me, my address is my profile or if not on my website.

I could go on but I'm afraid I have to pack - I'm away for a week on the Norfolk Coast, an excellent place for abstract artists: pure light, big horizons and a seascape both man and nature are busy deteriorating.
Once again thanks for the feedback.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 12:33 pm
noone minds digressions - it's what makes conversations interesting.

Where in Norfolk? I've painted there a lot over recent years (North Norfolk).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 01:04 pm
I can see the influence of Rothko who was actually a lyrical or color field abstractionist. He's lumped into the Expressionism genre but I never got that.
The only thing I might add is that your style seems to lack some direction -- abstractions are, after all, involving theme and variation. That involves selecting the most successful images that look similar and developing that thread out to its ultimate end. That's when one can switch horses and develop a new theme and variations.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 01:05 pm
That's just a suggestion, of course (well, unless I was considering showing your work but I am now sans a gallery).
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 01:09 pm
sorry to hear that. why?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 01:25 pm
Golly, Vivien, that was over three years ago. I semi-retired and run a consultant business out of my home, paint and sometimes accept lighting installation projects. The gallery was ajacent to my light showroom in Newport Beach. I just became weary of operating a turnkey operation. That doesn't mean I would never consider operating a gallery again (I've had four over the years).
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 04:33 pm
semi retired - heaven!
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 05:15 pm
Perfection
Lightwizard - that's the best definition of abstract art I've ever come across!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 05:39 pm
It's straight out of music and Bach. Abstract art is the closest the visual arts have come to music, especially jazz because of its improvisational nature. No accident that it developed along with jazz right up to the progressive and acid jazz movements.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 11:14 am
http://www.the-john-davies-gallery.co.uk/david%20prentice.JPG

farmer is this the one you were looking for?

or this one? (both David Prentice paintings)

http://www.lanterncommunity.org.uk/assets/images/lantweek_227-01.gif
Lightwizard I do agree - the musical analogy is one that i use regularly when explaining abstraction.

The way that the colours, marks, layers, intervals, quiet and busy areas relate .... just like jazz.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 11:20 am
The dominate gestural strokes being the riffs.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 11:34 am
yes!
0 Replies