Perfection

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 01:05 pm
Fighting with SONY & Fed Ex? They had no idea what hit them.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 02:14 pm
truth
I was once angry with UPS for a botched job. I told the guy that "Now I know why you guys call yourselves "Oops."
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 02:18 pm
We try not to ship UPS and put expensive art in the hands of the conveyor belt terrorists. They also have a unique insurance claim system that tries to wear down the claimant so they will go away. We ship Priority Mail and have virtually no problems and any claims have been settled promptly. There has been no claim since I came on board in May. (I did goof up an address to London but, you know what, the postal service found the package and redelivered it!)
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 06:24 pm
truth
Reviewing this thread, I find it very helpful. The title, however, is lost on me. If I knew what perfection is I might strive for it. In reality I strive only for some kind of satisfaction--the criteria for this achievement tend to vary with mood.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 06:43 pm
What a good thought JLN.

Long ago I stopped trying for perfection. Trying to be perfect only left me feeling not good enough as well. But the idea of striving for achievement which varies with a mood sounds like a reasonable goal.

Today I have been frustrated by the weather, cold, cloudy, and humid.

It has taken way to long for paint to dry.

But maybe I needed a day just to play on the puter. Given my mood I have achieved my goal.

Even the Supreme Bean is feeling the cold. Well it really is not that cold but it was 82f yesterday and today the temp didn't go above 60f.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 09:56 pm
truth
Give his Royal Beanness a hug for me.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 07:28 am
Well do I am taking the Supreme Bean and Carlotta to Florida with me. They love to travel. I cannot wait to see how Bean reacts to the beach. Carlotta will likly just sleep through the whole deal in the car and our room.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 10:48 am
truth
I've never known a cat who liked to travel. Mine have always been so territorial and prone to motion sickness, as expressed in the runs. You're lucky.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 11:09 am
Re: truth
JLNobody wrote:
Reviewing this thread, I find it very helpful. The title, however, is lost on me. If I knew what perfection is I might strive for it. In reality I strive only for some kind of satisfaction--the criteria for this achievement tend to vary with mood.

perfection is in the 'mind' of the beholder;

having been 'perfect' for some time now, i should know!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 11:12 am
Wow BWG I have never met a perfect person before. This is and interesting devlopment. BTW how old are you that you have reached such perfectness?
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 11:16 am
actually 'perfection' is a pretty stupid and meaningless concept.

perhaps if it where possible to define it, one could make an attempt, but..........

and, not being given to the deabolical (intentional mispelling) lack of fault 'ness', i don't see 'perfection' as an issue in art, unless it might be a description of that point, like the 'event horizon' of a black hole, when a work of art rises into the realm of "the body of work of the human species"!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 11:23 am
OK no fault is assessed. Perfection might be in the eye of a beholder but I do not think the human eye or brain could recognize it or understand it.

The only perfection I can think of is the birthing process. Either participating in it or helping another it was at the very least for me a perfect moment.

Painting is a similar process for me. When I create sometimes I feel a perfect which cannot be defined by me anyway.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 12:33 pm
truth
Everything is "perfectly" what it is. This is, at least, better than picking at the imperfections of things, according to some undefinable ideal.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 04:00 pm
That sounds good JLN cannot what until the next time some one asks me what I think. Hopefully and wither your permission I will be able to say it is perfectly what it is.

In my post above I may have confused joy and happiness with perfection.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 06:36 pm
Perfection
Perfection is unattainable, but tht doesn't excuse us from aiming for it.

I envision it somewhat like calculus or fractals - you never quite quite get there exactly, but with luck and hard work you can come close.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 08:41 pm
truth
Tomkitten, to me the problem is not that perfection is unattainable; it's undefinable. Who knows, if we knew what it was we might be able to attain it. As things stand I can't even aim for it; I don't know which way to aim.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 01:54 am
there's really no such thing as perfection, well not a universal perfection - one artist's hero Picasso is another's bete noir (don't know how to get the circumlfex on that so you'll have to imagine it!).
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 07:47 am
i think we should bring 'quantum theory' in to this; similar to happiness, perfection is destroyed by the conscious attempt to 'attain' it!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 12:10 pm
truth
Interesting notion, BoGoWo. I would like to interpret this as follows: everything is perfectly (i.e., essentially) what it is. It IS innately perfect in that it is not corrupted by something else. But attempts to compare it to some imagined, and necessarily fuzzy, ideal masks its "perfection".
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 07:17 am
Perfection is probably most attainable through the arts which allow you to create your own little world
and have complete control over it!
0 Replies