British Single Mom gets 100,000 pounds a year to live in mansion.

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 02:15 pm
This is a story of a British single mom in England who gets 100,000 pounds as a local housing allowance to live in a mansion right near Paul McCartney.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1250993/Single-mum-finds-mansion-net-gets-YOU-pay-7-000-month-rent.html#ixzz0fd7d7B54

Facts of the case... this woman was born in London. She has six children with two men and is separated to a Solicitor who allegedly isn't paying child support.

Comments?

((This thread is meant as a place to rationally discuss this case, which has nothing to do with immigrants or immigration, other than the immigrant bashing thread where it was first mentioned. I resisted the temptation to name this thread "Why do Brits flock to Britain")).

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 9,505 • Replies: 114

McTag

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 01:34 am

Apparently the woman had another kid by an absent father, found her own rented accommodation, and applied for funding to live there.

And apparently also, the local council was in no position under current legislation to refuse payment.

Seems crazy to me, and I'm British.
0 Replies

Pamela Rosa

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 06:27 am
Quote:
Within each religious group women were more likely than men to be economically inactive. The main reason was that they were looking after the family and home. Muslim women were more likely than other women to be economically inactive. About seven in ten (69 per cent) Muslim women of working age were economically inactive, compared with no more than four in ten women of working age in each of the other groups

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=979

0 Replies

Pamela Rosa

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 06:52 am
Quote:
The unemployment rate for Muslim women at 18 per cent
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=979

Muslim unemployment rates Female - 18%,
plus economically inactive - 69%
= 87% Muslim working age females not in employment

McTag

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 06:57 am
@Pamela Rosa,

I think that's fair enough.

If a woman is raising a family, and muslim families tend to be large, then the mother should devote all her time to it. Kids need their mother to be at home.

I just wish she would speak to them in English.
Ionus

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 08:17 am
@ebrown p,
I'm a single Mum !!! So is my ex-wife !! When do I get my money ?
ebrown p

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 08:18 am
@Ionus,
Are you a British citizen? Apply for a local housing allowance.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 08:20 am
@McTag,
Quote:

I just wish she would speak to them in English.

Given the British history of immigrating other countries and speaking English, this is kind of funny.

Ever wonder why English is spoken in India, Australia and even North America?
Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 08:27 am
You miss the important connection altogether, Brown, which is unsurprising. Large scale emigration from Commonwealth countries to England, as well as Canada, Australia and other economically attractive nations is a result of the fact that these immigrants come from other Commonwealth countries. Therefore, West Indians, Indians, Pakistanis, Africans from many nations, and ethnic Han Chinese from Hong Kong and Singapore have all migrated to industrialized Commonwealth nations such as England and Canada. The Chinese from Hong Kong and Singapore not so much, but then, they are prosperous in their own rights. The reason there are so many Muslims in England (as well as Canada and Australia) is largely a product of the large number of Muslims in Commonwealth nations which are not as prosperous (or were not until recently).
ebrown p

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 08:34 am
@Setanta,
This woman is not an immigrant. The whole point of this thread was to discuss her as a British citizen getting a public benefit.

((I apologize for my last post where I swallowed McTag's bait))
Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 08:39 am
@ebrown p,
Straw man--i understand that she is not an immigrant. However, as a Muslim, she would very likely not have been born in London were it not for the fact that since the post-World War II era began, people from Commonwealth nations have flocked to other prosperous Commonwealth nations (such as England) in their millions because they were, essentially, economic refugees. Had that option not been available to her parents, it is unlikely that they would have been in London at the time of her birth.
ebrown p

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 08:48 am
@Setanta,
Not a straw-man at all. England is a modern multi-ethnic democracy. As such, it must give equal rights and protections to all of its citizens. How their ancestors arrived is irrelevant.

In questions of benefits (assuming a modern democracy) is there any way that religion or ethnicity is relevant?

I am sure you understand why your use of the word "Commonwealth Nations" in this context makes me chuckle a bit given the point you are making (if you need a hint, it has to do with with the way they became Commonwealth Nations).
Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 08:58 am
@ebrown p,
Chuckle to your heart's content, your ignorance and lack of perception is no fault of mine. How people arrived is very much to the point. Members of Commonwealth nations are free to move from one Commonwealth nation to another with an ease which would-be immigrants from non-Commonwealth nations do not enjoy. How her parents arrived in England is very much to the point. Had her parents attempted to enter the United States, for example, it would have been very much less likely that they would have been admitted. Within the confines of the Commonwealth, they just needed to get on a plane--all they needed was that price of admission.

Immigration, despite your simple-minded expositions, is neither simple, nor subject to universal descriptions. In Germany, for example, the Turks who came to get what were, relative to the economy of Turkey at the time, good paying jobs are not German citizens, nor are their children German citizens even though they were born there. However, someone of German ancestry from any country in the world could arrive in the FRG (i.e., "West Germany") and immediately claim German citizenship, and would be granted that citizenship upon proof of their ancestry. This case is extraordinary in the industrialized nations. France faces a situation similar to, but not identical to, the British Commonwealth. Citizens of nations which were formerly French colonies cannot automatically get French citizenship, but the hurdles for them are much lower than people from other nations who might wish to become French citizens--usually it is just a formality. There is, of course, no French equivalent to the Commonwealth, so they can't just get on a plane, fly into Paris and settle down.

That is, however, a pretty good description of how it works for people migrating within the Commonwealth. So how her parents got there is very much to the point, whether or not you know it.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 09:01 am
@Pamela Rosa,
Pamela Rosa wrote:
87% Muslim working age females not in employment

...because not having a job is a crime, comrade.
Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 09:02 am
@DrewDad,
Damned straight . . . somebody should shoot all those bitches . . . call David . . .
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 09:08 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
How people arrived is very much to the point.

Why?

This woman got a benefit that is open to all British citizens. She is a British citizen. Why should who her parents were, or when they came matter at all? If the social policy is flawed, then change it. Singling out one ethnic group is not an option in any democracy.

All citizens in a modern democracy are treated the same. Citizenship is an either-or proposition, you don't have people who are greater citizens or lesser citizens. A citizen's family history is irrelevant.

If you want to argue the merits of immigration, or the implications of our current system of political borders and nation states, we could start another thread (that could be an interesting discussion if we could avoid name calling).

This woman is a British citizen. She is not an immigrant. This is not an immigration thread.

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 09:12 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Quote:
How people arrived is very much to the point.

Why?

This woman got a benefit that is open to all British citizens. She is a British citizen. Why should who her parents were, or when they came matter at all?

She would be entitled to those benefits whether or not she had been born in London, so long as she was born in a Commonwealth nation. Because her parents were citizens of a Commonwealth nation, they were free to move to England, which accounts for her having been born in London.

Quote:
All citizens in a modern democracy are treated the same. Citizenship is an either-or proposition, you don't have people who are greater citizens or lesser citizens. A citizen's family history is irrelevant.

See, this is where your simple-minded views lead you astray. Look again at the German example.

Quote:
If you want to argue the merits of immigration, or the implications of our current system of political borders and nation states, we could start another thread (that could be an interesting discussion if we could avoid name calling).

This woman is a British citizen. She is not an immigrant. This is not an immigration thread.

You don't get to tell me what i can or cannot discuss. The point about the Commonwealth of Nations is well taken, whether or not you are sufficiently well-informed to understand it. Your standard routine is to run into a thread such as this and sling the racist slur left, right and center. As usual with your political rectitude gestapo type, you're long on indignation and short on knowledge.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 09:14 am
@ebrown p,
Go back far enough, and everyone not living in Africa is an immigrant.
Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 09:20 am
@DrewDad,
I've already pointed that out to McTag in this thread--there are, however, people with whom that point will never sink in.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 09:24 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
You don't get to tell me what i can or cannot discuss.

You have the ability to start your own thread about citizenship in the British Commonwealth, or about Muslim migration patterns post-WWII.

0 Replies