13
   

British Single Mom gets 100,000 pounds a year to live in mansion.

 
 
joefromchicago
 
  3  
Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 09:29 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:
This thread is meant as a place to rationally discuss this case...

You must be new here. Welcome to A2K, ebrown p.
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  0  
Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 09:30 am
I also have the ability to discuss it in this thread. Brown brought his favorite stalking horse when he started calling Lovejoy a racist. Lovejoy may well be a racist, but this thread does not constitute evidence to that effect.
DrewDad
 
  3  
Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 09:31 am
@Setanta,
Just because you have the ability to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  0  
Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 09:34 am
Uh-huh . . . and who set you up to determine what is wrong or right? Do you consider it right for Brown to accuse Lovejoy of being a racist because he (Brown) is obsessed about the subject of immigration?
Irishk
 
  1  
Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 09:46 am
You have to admit it takes a certain amount of audacity to engage a 5-bedroom mansion and hand the bill to the taxpayers.

Maybe she should run for pres, er, prime minister.
Setanta
 
  0  
Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 09:50 am
@Irishk,
Certainly she displays that propensity for shameless theft which appears to characterize the members of the current House of Commons.
0 Replies
 
ebrown p
 
  4  
Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 09:51 am
@Setanta,
Setanta (and LoveJoy if you are listening).

This woman is not an immigrant. She is a British citizen from birth living in England.

Let me say that again... This woman is not an immigrant. An immigrant is not what this woman is. Of all the immigrants there are, this woman is not one of them. This woman didn't immigrate. Immigrating is not one of the things that this woman did.

I didn't bring immigration into this story. LoveJoy wanted to make this woman an immigrant (and now Setanta seems to want this woman to be an immigrant).

But, this woman is not an immigrant-- and this is not an immigration thread.
Setanta
 
  0  
Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 09:58 am
@ebrown p,
As usual, you are woefully uninformed. Being born in England does not make you a British subject. She is a British subject because she is a born citizen of the British Commonwealth of Nations. Your ignorance is appalling. Certainly this thread is not about immigration in a certain sense, but in another it is. It is about your obsession with immigration, and your willingness to call Lovejoy a racist because of that obsession.

You don't know squat about the greater world outside the borders of the United States. In fact, in most nations of this world, being born within the borders of a nation does not make you a citizen. When the United States required people entering the United States to have a passport, literally thousands of Canadians were appalled to learn, when they applied for passports, that their government did not consider them Canadian citizens just because they were born there. To get their passport, they were obliged to prove that their parents were Canadians citizens at the time they were born, or citizens of one countries of the British Commonwealth of Nations.

Your willingness to brand people who disagree with you racists at the drop of a hat is simply disgusting.
0 Replies
 
DrewDad
 
  2  
Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 10:00 am
@Setanta,
I don't know what you're talking about. Lovejoy didn't even post on this thread, as far as I can determine.

Are you just chasing ebrown from thread-to-thread and berating him?
Setanta
 
  0  
Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 10:06 am
@DrewDad,
While i do consider berating Brown to be a worthy endeavor, i don't follow him around. The stench would get to me too easily that way. Lovejoy started a thread on this topic. Brown showed up there to call him a racist, and when people got on his case about it, he opened up this thread to try to insulate himself from the valid criticism of his obsession about immigration. I have no qualms about coming here and shoving that down his throat.
DrewDad
 
  2  
Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 10:10 am
@Setanta,
Well, you're a prince to provide such a necessary public service. Truly.
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  0  
Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 10:22 am
On the 15th, at about two in the afternoon, Lovejoy started a thread on this topic. Brown showed up to call him a racist, because the woman is not an immigrant.

McTag responded in that thread, in one post writing:

McTag wrote:
This woman is clearly taking the piss, and her bluff should be called.

She has a new five-month-old baby, so she needs another bedroom? Not on benefits, she doesn't.

No doubt Westminster CC will now get a grip on this.


Brown responds with his usual political rectitude gestapo hysteria by writing:

ebrown p wrote:
Quote:
This woman is clearly taking the piss, and her bluff should be called.

She has a new five-month-old baby, so she needs another bedroom? Not on benefits, she doesn't.

No doubt Westminster CC will now get a grip on this.


I don't think anyone would disagree (given the reported facts of the story). The objection is the attempt to make this woman into an "immigrant" when in fact she is a British citizen who was born in London. It is the racist immigrant bashing of someone who isn't an immigrant that makes this thread so infuriating.

If this thread had been titled "Why do Brits live in Britain?", we could have a rational discussion on the merits of the case. I am afraid without the race-baiting part of this thread, we would probably all be in agreement that a British single mom shouldn't be getting a 100,000 pounds a year to live in a mansion. But, that wouldn't make for a very interesting discussion.


That last sentence is very revelatory--Brown isn't interested in the discussion unless he can rant about immigration and racism. McTag then responds as follows:

McTag wrote:
Okay it might be off-topic, but we have to get away (us Brits, I mean) from the mindset that a single woman with no means of support except benefits can have ever more kids and expect the Council to house them.


Then Brown, who has already said that this story would not be interesting without the "race-baiting" to which he referred, responds with this:

ebrown p wrote:
Since this is off-topic, let's start a new thread.


Now go read the first post. Not only did Brown claim in the other thread that this would not be an interesting subject for discussion with out the "race-baiting" angle, and then turn around to start this thread--he couldn't get past the first post without dragging in "immigrant bashing," his description of the Lovejoy thread. I have no problem with following him here to rub his nose in his obsession and his hypocrisy.
ebrown p
 
  3  
Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 10:48 am
@Setanta,
Lovejoy was immigrant bashing-- which was all the more interesting because this woman is not an immigrant.

Anyone who reads Lovejoy's initial post (or even her thread title) will see this. The point (which Setanta seems to continue to miss) is that this woman is not an immigrant.

Setanta is accusing me of dragging in the topic of immigration into this story (which is silly based on Lovejoy's thread title-- especially given the fact that this woman is not an immigrant). Actually, I am trying to, given the fact that this woman is not an immigrant, take immigration out of this story.

This is not an immigration story. It is the story of a British citizen taking advantage of a program open to all British citizens in a clearly excessive way.

This woman is not, nor has she ever been, an immigrant.

DrewDad
 
  1  
Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 10:51 am
@Setanta,
Frankly, I don't care.
0 Replies
 
DrewDad
 
  1  
Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 10:55 am
@Setanta,
I'll add this: it's another example of you deflecting criticism of your behavior by pointing out that someone else behaved badly.
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 11:36 am
@DrewDad,
You follow me around to make nasty remarks all the goddamned time, hypocrite. I don't give a rat's ass what criticisms of me you post. I wasn't deflecting anything, i was explaining why i've brought this to this thread. If that's a problem for you, it's your problem and not mine. Get over it.
Setanta
 
  -1  
Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 11:41 am
@ebrown p,
I am not missing anything. I'm making another point, which is that you are obsessed with immigration, and will call people racist at the drop of a hat if they don't have your "politically correct" view of an issue. You couldn't get past your opening post here without bringing up immigration.

By the way, simply out of laziness, i've not check to find out if this woman is a British subject in her own right. I've just taken your (dubious) word for it. Are you aware that simply being born in England does not make you a British subject? Do you know for a fact that her parents were citizens of a nation of the British Commonwealth? What is your source for your claim that she is a British subject? I'm not denying that that is true, i'm just not prepared to continue to accept the contention based only on your word.
djjd62
 
  1  
Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 11:49 am
so, this woman's some kind of immigrant or something?
0 Replies
 
ebrown p
 
  2  
Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 11:50 am
@Setanta,
The real point is your obsession against "political correctness"-- a dubious term that might merit a new thread.

The issue is that LoveJoy started a thread with "immigrant" in the title that had nothing to do with immigrants. It showed the abuse of a social service (local housing allowances) that are available to any British citizen. The law allowing these payments has nothing to do with immigrants. Anyone born in England of "settled" parents is a British citizen. This certainly includes people who have brown skin, are muslim and have received local housing allowances.

But as the loophole allowing this excessive payments are open to British citizens, it is silly to make this a discussion about immigrants.

If you want to talk about the value of not being "politically correct", maybe you might want to comment on Pamela Rose's contributions to the discussion. I disagree with her point of view, but at least she is intellectually honest.
0 Replies
 
djjd62
 
  2  
Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 11:52 am
so this woman is pamela rose

i'm so confused
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

How a Spoon Can Save a Woman’s Life - Discussion by tsarstepan
Well this is weird. - Discussion by izzythepush
Please Don't Feed our Bums - Discussion by Linkat
Woman crashes car while shaving her vagina - Discussion by Robert Gentel
Genie gets sued! - Discussion by Reyn
Humans Marrying Animals - Discussion by vinsan
Prawo Jazdy: Ireland's worst driver - Discussion by Robert Gentel
octoplet mom outrage! - Discussion by dirrtydozen22
 
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 01/18/2022 at 10:06:33