British Single Mom gets 100,000 pounds a year to live in mansion.

Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 01:03 am
@High Seas,
Oh piss off. The fact that the FDA, or any other organ of the Federal government in the U.S. uses "race" as a category is not evidence that it is a valid category. Using ethnic references for health care issues can be valid on the basis of disease conditions endemic in the area of origin (such as sickle cell disease in west Africa), or cultural habits of a group (eating a lot of pork, etc.)--but that has nothing to do with fantasies about "race." Not all Africans come from areas in which sickle cell disease is endemic, so health warnings about it have nothing to do with the race myth.

As for personal remarks, you come in here wielding a cutlass, lashing out at everyone around you, and then whine when people treat you in like kind. Hypocrite.
0 Replies

oolongteasup

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 02:43 am
i wonder if it had a lovely garden for the children to play in

topics may come and topics may go but hate springs eternal
Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 05:54 am
@oolongteasup,
Yes, apparently it does have a "lovely garden."
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 06:17 am
@lovejoy,
Hear Hear !!!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 06:40 am
@lovejoy,
lovejoy wrote:
If she chooses to breed beyond her means we shouldn't be expected to keep paying the tab.

ah, so this british immigrant is from fecundia, now i understand, perhaps a spay and neuter program is in order
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 07:52 am
@lovejoy,
lovejoy wrote:
She says she "needs" a five bedroomed house why?

read the link you provided in the original thread

the council says she is entitled to a five-bedroom house

argue with the council

~~~

I hope you won't be claiming any benefits from your government for healthcare. Parasite.
djjd62

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 08:15 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

lovejoy wrote:
She says she "needs" a five bedroomed house why?

read the link you provided in the original thread

the council says she is entitled to a five-bedroom house

argue with the council

~~~

I hope you won't be claiming any benefits from your government for healthcare. Parasite.

Very Happy
0 Replies

Pamela Rosa

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 08:35 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
ebrown p [quote wrote:
@Setanta,
I would love to hear Setanta's views on the link between race and genetics

There is none. There is no such thing as race, it is entirely a construct of 19th century "scientists," eager to prove the superiority of the "white race."

Quote:
..a decade or more of population genetics research has documented genetic, and therefore biological, differentiation among the races.
Quote:
....population genetic studies have recapitulated the classical definition of races based on continental ancestry - namely African, Caucasian (Europe and Middle East), Asian, Pacific Islander (for example, Australian, New Guinean and Melanesian), and Native American.

Quote:
http://genomebiology.com/content/figures/gb-2002-3-7-comment2007-1.jpg
Population genetic studies of world populations support the categorization into five major groups, as shown.

http://genomebiology.com/2002/3/7/comment/2007

Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 08:40 am
Now we do have a genuine racist in the thread . . . Brown will be so pleased.

Madagascar was settled by Austrasians from what is now Indonesia . . . kinda shoots that African thing in the ass. The Indians of the subcontinent are "Asians," but are more closely related to Europeans and Persians than they are to the Chinese or the various varieties of Austrasians, such as the tribes of the Philippines, of Indonesia and the Polynesians. The Japanese and the Koreans speak languages which are not closely related at all to Chinese and the Austrasian langauges, but which are very closely related to the Turkic languages.

Dividing humanity into abritrary groupings is not evidence that separate "races" exist.
djjd62

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 08:41 am
@Pamela Rosa,
normal people break it down to one group, called human beings
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 08:53 am
This is a sample of the text from the source our resident racist is presenting:

Quote:
In our view, much of this discussion does not derive from an objective scientific perspective. This is understandable, given both historic and current inequities based on perceived racial or ethnic identities, both in the US and around the world, and the resulting sensitivities in such debates. Nonetheless, we demonstrate here that from both an objective and scientific (genetic and epidemiologic) perspective there is great validity in racial/ethnic self-categorizations, both from the research and public policy points of view.

Note that these authors are conflating ethnic groups with races. This is specious in the extreme. I've already pointed out, for example, that "West African Negroes" are at high risk of having a genetic propensity to sickle cell disease. However, that is true in only one other locale in the world, the Korean peninsula. It is hardly plausible to come up with a grouping of "African" with regard to the health risks of sickle cell disease, since it does not appear in other African locales--and, of course, you have problems such as that Madagascar was settled originally by Austrasians from the Indonesian archipelago. Obvious also is that you cannot include Koreans with West African Negroes in a racial category based on a genetic propensity to suffer from sickle cell disease.

This is nothing but the sloppy application of nomencalture by people whose expertise is epidemiology, and not ethnology or ethnological origins.

I'm sure it gives Pamela a warm fuzzy feeling, though.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 02:42 pm
@Pamela Rosa,

Scientists find great genetic differences among southern Africans

Quote:
Two Bushmen from different tribes living within walking distance of each other can have greater genetic differences than a European and an Asian, according to the study published in Thursday's edition of the journal Nature.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 03:01 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
The sky is racist. The sky is racist.

You crack me up Set.

((are you sure you don't mean xenophobe?))
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 04:10 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

http://www.yale.edu/glc/events/race/Painter.pdf

I enjoyed the read. The topic came up here from a different angle.

Apparently there is a German to blame for all of it.

Quote:
White people are called "Caucasian" because Johann Friedrich Blumenbach (1752-1840), an influential German scholar in an up-and-coming German university, chose the name on 11 April 1795 in Göttingen, Lower Saxony, in what would become Germany. Blumenbach's and Göttingen's scholarly prestige made “Caucasian” a scientific classification.11 The term “Caucasian” quickly entered scientific discourse, appearing first in English in an 1807 translation of Blumenbach's Handbuch der vergleichenden Anatomie (A Short System of Comparative Anatomy) by the influential English surgeon William Lawrence (1783-1867).

http://www.answers.com/topic/race-1 (some interesting links here)

What's more, Johann Friedrich Blumenbach based his racial classification on an aesthetic judgement, and in turn used this conclusion to base his coinage of the term Varietas Caucasia, having written in his De generis humani varietate nativa:

"Caucasian variety - I have taken the name of this variety from Mount Caucasus, both because its neighborhood, and especially its southern slope, produces the most beautiful race of men, I mean the Georgian; and because all physiological reasons converge to this, that in that region, if anywhere, it seems we ought with the greatest probability to place the autochthones (birth place) of mankind."
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 06:14 pm
I dont know how this thread got hyjacked, but anyway....I dont use the term race. It makes it seem like someone is going to come first.

There is a need to differentiate between categories of people in some instances. However, the biggest surprise is that humans have a remarkably tight genome. Homo neanderthalis has more gene spread than us. Most animal species wil diverge after 3-5,000 years. This means we should have different species of humans all over the planet. Yet the fact remains, we have no trouble interbreeding and producing fertile offspring which is one of the bench tests to determine if it is the same species.

The greatest difference genetically is between man and woman. This means a man will have more in common with every other man in the world than he will with the woman he mates with. The differences you see on the outside are all there is.

This does not factor culture or personality into it. You are entitled to dislike any culture, and any person. Racists will always be with us because racism is based on sexual selection. We choose a mate because they will promote our genetics. Good looks are the default standard, and ugly is an adaptation. Mate two good looking people together and you stand a greater chance of garbage. Some people are so horrified that if they mate with another their genes will be swamped and it produces a strong yuck factor. You are entitled to react by disliking the appearance of another group of people but you are not entitled to overreact. All the liberals in the world and all their hot air will not prevent racism.

As a sideline I would like to return to the main subject. How many taxpayers does it take to keep a person in a mansion ?

'Only a very small minority of people receive such high rates of housing benefit. The average payment is £81 a week.' I wonder how they feel ?

In Australia you get a flat rate for rent. Anything over, you get assistance of one dollar for every dollar you spend up to a modest amount. Anything over and you are on your own. I think where you start contributing is around $130 a week and where the government stops is around $180 a week. So if you are paying $190 a week, the government pays the first $130, then you and the government pay $25 each, then you pay $10 by yourself.

This sytem came about because of the large number of rental owners who work in the ministry that handles these matters. It used to be a flat rate.
0 Replies