What is the a2k hall of fame all about?

Ionus

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 06:29 pm
@panzade,
Phhhbbbbtttttt !! Mad
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 07:07 pm
For the record, i acknowledged right away my own failings as a writer.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 07:11 pm
@Setanta,
I don't know what for. That, to me, is your finest quality (I'm not being sarcastic either, I think you write well).
Ionus

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 07:16 pm
@Setanta,
I thought you wrote quite well. Thorough and easy to read. If I can make a suggestion, dont be so quick to condem another opinion. There is a lot of knowledge you are not privy too. History only goes back to about the Napoleonic times, before that there are decreasing records to determine events. One in 500 books survive. History before Napoleon is very interpretive. No doubt you would have seen many fashions as to what really happened come and go.
Gargamel

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 09:21 pm
Let's settle this right now--with a write off! Me, Spendi (hahahaha), Set, and Robert. At precisely midnight CST--Spendi you'll be bombed, but that might actually help--we'll each start writing. Really, really hard.

Here, I'll pick a topic. We'll write about Asian carp. At exactly 12:05 we'll hit reply. And then we'll summon Yoong Liat to judge. The winner will be awarded a Val-U-Pak of Trident sugarless gum, which Panzade will of course pay for.

Cool? Cool.
panzade

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 09:33 pm
@Gargamel,
Hey! If I provide the gum I gotta be elected the judge.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 09:37 pm
@panzade,
I think they shud haf to rite it phonetically, and we let dave judge it...
panzade

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 09:53 pm
@Rockhead,
...Dave's NOT HERE!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 09:58 pm
Dave went to Florida.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 10:01 pm
@yitwail,
yitwail wrote:
glad i'm not completely forgotten. i remember there was a quote setanta made about you, which you used in your signature, but i can't remember it anymore--very complimentary if it wasn't sarcastic--or am i confusing you with another? y

I'm thinking you must be confusing me with someone else, yit. Set has never said anything complimentary about me, and I can't imagine quoting him in my sig line.

But it's good to see you back, even if for just a bit.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 11:25 pm
@Gargamel,
Will there be shooting ? Will there be cake ?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 04:21 am
The customer is always wrong. Setanta thinking otherwise is the main reason his writing has no style and has no useful lessons.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 06:49 am
@Gargamel,

+1 for Yoong Liat shout-out...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 06:51 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

I'm trying to ingratiate myself with the owner and guiding spirit of this ace project. Setanta is a non-entity.

HA! quote of the day!!!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 06:57 am
@Robert Gentel,
That's very kind of you, however i would not be honest if i did not acknowledge that i am far too prolix when i write, which is exactly what is wrong with the way you write when you respond to technical questions.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 07:00 am
This is getting interesting. Hee hee Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 07:21 am
@Ionus,
You display an appalling ignorance of historiography. The "history" to which you refer is simply secondary history--people writing syntheses of primary sources. It ignores great works of secondary history, such as Gibbon's Decline and Fall, and it ignores that the stuff of written history is primary documents, for which there are literally thousands of years worth of evidence in western civilization. The Greeks and Romans, for example, were avid readers of history, which is why Ad urbe condita by Titus Livius (Livy) and The Histories by Polybius remain steady sellers after two thousand years. In the case of Livy, he is the only source for much of his material, which makes him a "default" primary source. Other forms of historiography which you have ignored are archaeology, climatology, historical agronomy, geology--almost all of the sciences contribute a great deal to our understanding of history.

Your view is also "western-centric," it ignores completely the history, for example, of China, for which there are literally hundreds of thousands of pages of primary source documents stretching back in the oldest examples almost three thousand years. The Romance of the Three Kingdoms, as a wonderful example, is arguably the oldest historical novel in existence, written almost seven hundred years ago, and covering the collapse of the latter Han dynasty in the late second and early third centuries, B.C.E. Japanese history only goes back about 1500 years in a written form (once again, archaeology and the historical forms of science cover a much longer period of time), but thanks to the reverence for the institution of the Emperor, those records are wonderfully complete, much better, for example, than European records outside the rump of the Roman Empire in the Gothic period.

History is a great deal more than secondary narratives written in Europe, which began, by the way, a lot earlier than the lifetime of Napoleon. Napoleon was born in 1769. Edward Gibbon published his The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire between 1776 and 1788, while Napoleon was a schoolboy. William Blackstone published his Commentaries on the Laws of England between 1764 and 1769 (the year Napoleon was born), and it can be considered the first great historical synthesis in the English language. The English were already become as avid a group of readers of history as the Romans were--the first great "best-seller" of an historical work was Walter Raleigh's History of the World, first published in 1614.

I would suggest to you that you don't know as much about history as you seem to think that you do.

(Yes, Robert, i used Wikipedia to confirm dates and the exact titles of the works to which i refer--but consider that if i didn't already know these things in detail, i'd not have known what to look for at Wikipedia.)
sozobe

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 07:27 am
@Gargamel,
This needs to happen.
chai2

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 07:40 am
I....I feel so used.

I knew Set was using my post to launch off, but I didn't know it would get so far.
Below viewing threshold (view)