What is the a2k hall of fame all about?

dlowan

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 07:45 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

This needs to happen.

What did the Asian carp ever do to anyone?
ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 07:46 am
@dlowan,
The Asian carp's a big issue if you live around the Great Lakes.

I could write rawther an annoyingly long essay on the subject, but I'm not on Garg's hit list.

thank the Good Lord
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 07:46 am
@dlowan,
I don't know, but I want to see those folks tell me.

Oh and you need to be in the write-off too.
maporsche

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 07:52 am
So, based on our super-accurate, scientifically-valid, debate-ending thumbs up/down voting system, we have (as a forum) declared Robert the winner of this 'debate'.

Good efforts gentleman; but there can be only one (and yes, I paraphrased another write for that last line, to make me sound more important).
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 07:54 am
this is turning out to be quite an event. let me know if you need a band or a dj.
dlowan

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 07:59 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

I don't know, but I want to see those folks tell me.

Oh and you need to be in the write-off too.

I am attempting to be a more evolved Wabbit.

0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 08:01 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
You display an appalling ignorance
You display an appalling arrogance.
Quote:
people writing syntheses of primary sources.
Without the primary source you can verify the accuracy by...???? Oh, thats right...ESP.
Quote:
Your view is also "western-centric,"
That is correct. This is because I do not read Chinese. Do you ?
Quote:
History is a great deal more than secondary narratives written in Europe, which began, by the way, a lot earlier than the lifetime of Napoleon.
I thought it was obvious I was talking about primary sources of history...note the word history...google it and see what it means.
Quote:
The English were already become as avid a group of readers of history as the Romans were-
But reading history does not make what is read accurate. Look at the bias in the Roman authors; it is enough to make you look like a calm reasonable person.
Quote:
I would suggest to you that you don't know as much about history as you seem to think that you do.
I would suggest to you your knowledge of history relies heavily on google. Only a fool would say that history does NOT increasingly become obscure going past the Napoleonic Era. My friend beside me has a doctorate in history..shall I quote from him ? You are a complete dickhead who does not know what he is talking about. For my part, I would have said your age has robbed you of your hormonal balance and turned you into a grouchy old man.
Quote:
i'd not have known what to look for at Wikipedia
Look up hormonal imbalances caused by senility.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 08:01 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Got any good ganga?
dlowan

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 08:07 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Got any good ganga?

Damn fine idea!!!

And don't the smeg bogart it if he has!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 08:13 am
No smegma in my doobies, if you please.

(You haven't smegged in a coon's age.)
dlowan

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 09:23 am
@Setanta,
Gave it up for lent.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 09:42 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Some of the greatest nightmares in English composition are technical manuals to accompany products.

I know I'm late to this, but I feel compelled to point out that the reason they are such nightmares is that they weren't composed in English. Many, many technical manuals are translations from Japanese, Korean, or Chinese.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 09:43 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Craven's biggest fault is too much information--he obscures his answer under heaps of unnecessary verbiage.

One of my favorite geek phrases is "eschew obfuscation".
chai2

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 09:46 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

That's bullshit. I was responding to your post, it was no "launch." It had no reference to anything other than what you had written, and my response to it. It's bad enough that RG wants to claim it was aimed at him, now you have decided to jump on the bandwagon.

I'll keep this in mind, though, and remember never to respond to any of the **** you write so that i don't have you bashing me for it.

oh, I know you don't mean that.

xoxoxo
Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 09:46 am
@DrewDad,
And many of them are nightmares originally composed in English by native speakers of English. My experience of technical manuals goes back the 80s, when very little of the equipment concerned was manufactured in Korea or Japan, and none of it in China. Failures of technical writing are not confined to the tech sector. All of my experience in technical writing was in areas other than the tech sector, and native speakers of English seem incapable of writing instructions clearly, comprehensively and briefly. Some of the worst people are those who are (ostensibly) highly educated--people with master's degrees or doctorates.
Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 09:47 am
@chai2,
Kiss kiss, Darlin' . . .

You may be assured that i consider that to have been a betrayal, and i'll get you for it, too.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 09:55 am
@Setanta,
Well, the very definition of a geek is someone who is more interested in the details than most other folks. Geeks wrote for geeks, and forgot that most people just want to know how to keep the clock from flashing "12:00" on their VCR.
dlowan

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 09:56 am
@DrewDad,
I'm quite keen on having the VCR record and play, too!
Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 10:03 am
@DrewDad,
That's more than a little disingenuous. They want to know how properly to use their equipment, and they would like to be told in a manner which doesn't require them to be techie geeks in order to understand the text.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 10:26 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

So, based on our super-accurate, scientifically-valid, debate-ending thumbs up/down voting system, we have (as a forum) declared Robert the winner of this 'debate'.

I'm not sure how much science there is to knowing when someone's kinda being a dick.
0 Replies