What is the a2k hall of fame all about?

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 03:55 pm
@chai2,
Here's just one use case: Let's say you don't want to read all the new posts, but you have a handful of users who you appreciate. Right now you could try to browse each of their profiles to see what they post, but that is awkward if it's more than a few.

So there is a My Friends page (link up in header menu), that shows you the posts by the people you follow in chronological order.

Here is another use case: I am here a lot, but I still don't always notice when some of my favorite posters who are rarely around show up. For me, I use it as a way not to miss those rare appearances, so while I have a lot of friends who I don't follow it's because I just tend to run into them all the time on a2k and when I add them to the list it their larger volume of posts might make me miss the other rare folks (the my friends grid goes 20 pages deep right now, but that's not much time if you follow lots of high-volume posters).

I've already noticed that some people who I thought weren't on able2know anymore just happen to hang out exclusively on threads I wasn't visiting this way. Anyway, there are a lot of use cases, but the basic one is that you have a page where you can see all these people's posts:

http://able2know.org/friends/
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 03:56 pm
@chai2,
I think they can go to your profile and see what you have posted. Kind of like checking a profile, but different. I don't know. I'm not really following anyone.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 04:11 pm
@chai2,
I also just looked at your profile, and you didn't accept anything (in this format there's no accept, like MySpace and Facebook it's unilateral following). So what seems to have happened was that they followed you (which lets them see your posts on their my friends page) and you got notifications of this (in case you want to follow them back, and you can turn off this notification in your preferences).

If you can think of any way to make the messaging in the email clearer I'm all ears, that was a rushed, rough first draft and tweaking the copy for usability would probably be a good idea.
Ionus

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 04:17 pm
@Region Philbis,
Sorry..it still isnt ringing any bells...maybe they dont work ?
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 04:20 pm
@Ionus,

(in addition to the lights, i am sorry to hear that the bells are also outta order...)
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 04:30 pm
Quote:
What is the a2k hall of fame all about?
As none of you have answered correctly, I shall tell you...IT IS ABOUT ME!!!!! The great, the one and only, ME!!!! (does pirouette, collapses onto one knee but is facing away from computer...waits for applause...cue sound of solitary cricket...lowers arms and stands up looking puzzled...realises something is behind him and spins wildly karate chopping the co
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 04:53 pm
my humbleness and joy at being in the A2K Hall Of fame is surpassed only by the warmth and pride I feel in the fact that my good friend blueveinedthrobber was also honored so.

I am now ready to die grateful and fullfilled, as I feel there is nothing else really left to accomplish.

Thank you, thank you so very much.
roger

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 05:23 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Which way to the egress?
chai2

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 05:28 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I also just looked at your profile, and you didn't accept anything (in this format there's no accept, like MySpace and Facebook it's unilateral following). So what seems to have happened was that they followed you (which lets them see your posts on their my friends page) and you got notifications of this (in case you want to follow them back, and you can turn off this notification in your preferences).

If you can think of any way to make the messaging in the email clearer I'm all ears, that was a rushed, rough first draft and tweaking the copy for usability would probably be a good idea.

ok, can you say that in English please?

let me tell you how little I know about this, so you can frame your answer...

I have no idea what "accept on myspace and facebook is"
ditto "unilateral following"

yeah, I got an email, I clicked on the link, now I'm following them and they are following me. I thought I said that (maybe not). But.....what the hell does that mean?

I also don't know what "able to see my posts on their friends page" means.

what is a "friends page" and anyway, weren't these people able to see my posts before?

I have never twittered or even texted in my life, and have no reason to. So, I would have no idea what to tell you about how to make anything clearer, since I still don't know what any of this means.

Could you please explain what someone is following, and what is the difference of just reading my, or anyone elses posts the way they and I have been doing.

Why would I want to follow someone? What are the benefits?

Your answer assumed I know a lot of things I don't.

Dutchy

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 05:32 pm
@chai2,
I'm like you chai2, completely lost in it all!
ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 05:41 pm
@Dutchy,
I'm starting to get it from Robert's explanation..
I think I'll start adding people who aren't posting very much, whose posts I'd definitely read if I saw them. I already read virtually all the posts of those who are following me.
I'm still a little thickheaded, not yet being a facebook/twitt/text person, much less a buzz person, unless I am by mistake.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 05:45 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
ok, can you say that in English please?

If you want posts from a person to appear on your "My Friends" page (see the link in header) then click the "follow" button on their profile.

Quote:
yeah, I got an email, I clicked on the link, now I'm following them and they are following me. I thought I said that (maybe not). But.....what the hell does that mean?

Your posts show up on their "My Friends" page.

Quote:
I also don't know what "able to see my posts on their friends page" means.

I gave two links to it and pointed to it in the menu in the last post. I'm not going to link to it now to force looking for it in the menu to see it in context.

There is a link, directly under the logo, right after "Popular" that is labeled "My Friends". Following someone means their posts are included on this page.

Quote:
what is a "friends page" and anyway, weren't these people able to see my posts before?

It is a page that displays the posts by the members they follow. Yes they were able to see your posts before, but they weren't able to group posts from people they want to follow on one page that is in the main navigation. In short it's a lot easier to follow people quite literally (as in follow what they say) in some cases. Instead of hunting down profiles each time you want to know what chai said you just follow her and her posts are included in a page that is always a click away.

Quote:
Why would I want to follow someone? What are the benefits?

Dunno, I'm not you and you may not want to use it at all. It would have taken you a lot less time to just do it and try than this did though so I think that if you are that curious you should just give it a try and see what it is like. Find a couple of people whose posts you tend to seek out on able2know, follow them, and you'll have a convenient page (up there again, the "My Friends" one) where you can see their posts. If you don't like it you don't have to click on that link anymore and nothing else will happen.
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 05:53 pm
Wooooop!
Who nominated me? Thank you! xxx
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 05:56 pm
@Robert Gentel,
...the patience of a saint
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 05:57 pm
But you can follow people by just clicking their U/N on top of their posts and their contributions are laid out most recent first going back to their first ever post.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 06:02 pm
@spendius,
Yes, but the difference is that you have to go find that username above their posts, you can't do multiple users in one click etc. With this page you only have to find them once, and then it will find them for you, and you can do multiple people at once.

It's just data filtering guys, another way to slice up millions of posts into pages that you find interesting. If you don't get the particular filter it's no big deal, you sound happy with the pages you currently use and may not be missing much. Most people just use /newposts/ but that will increasingly become less useful as site activity increases and this aims to prepare more ways people can find what they consider signal amidst what they consider noise. That is all, it's another data view of a2k data (i.e. posts).
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 06:04 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
But you can follow people by just clicking their U/N on top of their posts and their contributions are laid out most recent first going back to their first ever post.

true, but that is only one person. Now we can have have clicks like we did in high school....it is another way to play up popularity at a2k.
djjd62

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 06:06 pm
@hawkeye10,
sounds like somebody wasn't very popular in high school Wink
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 06:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
It's just friends, hawkeye, for crying out loud. It takes a twisted view to see it all about "popularity", social bonds like that are an inherent part of social dynamics. You seem positively obsessed with popularity. Nobody on this site seems to care about it as much as you do (judging by how you can't stop talking about how you don't care for it). It only affects you because you decide to obsess about it, you can't demonstrate any way that it has actually changed what you are able to do on this site.

Did you rid yourself of all your friends in your crusade against "popularity" or do you crusade against popularity because you have no friends?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 06:08 pm
Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe . . .

Note also that there is an ironic humor in using "click" rather than "clique."
0 Replies