You whine, I wyne, we all Wine

Seed

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 04:27 am
So I am not a big wine drinker. Never really liked it honestly. My best friend and his wife have become wine drinkers and when ever I go over their house for supper or a party of some sorts there is wine. I, of course, being the lush that I am, er proper guest that I am, I do not turn down an offered glass based on my likes or dislike.

I understand that you really only get a taste for something, by well, lets face it, tasting it! I have come to the decision that I am not a big red wine fan. White wine is ok.

Also, there is a girl. There is usually always a girl when it comes to a guy changing his mind about something. She is a the kind of girl that will take a bubble bath and drink a bottle of wine to relax when stressed, so she has a, as i would think, a like for the beverage. I would do well to accumulate a taste for it as it is ordered often on dinner dates. Some knowledge would be nice as to sort of impress her, though impressing really isn't my game, more along the lines of I don't want to look like a fool. I would also like to be able to bring a decent bottle fo wine to my friend's house when such gatherings call for it.

Any and all help on the matter would be most welcome from you, my ever knowledgeable host of friends.

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 04:37 am
@Seed,
I'm not a wine expert but in order to really impress them try and gather a little intelligence about the next get together. Try and find out what kind of food you will be eating so you can pair the wine with the meal.

Allegedly, wines and the multitude of styles and their very nature of the subtlety of their individual collective flavors can complement the flavors of the food.

Take said information to a wine shop and hopefully the wine seller can match you up with a close to perfect bottle of wine (keeping your budget in mind as well as the main course of accompanying meal).
Seed

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 04:39 am
@tsarstepan,
What is an fair amount of money to spend on a bottle of wine for dinner? I am by no means a classy guy. I eat hot pockets for the love of god! My friends are garden variety people as well.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 04:50 am
@Seed,
You can get a great bottle of wine for about $14 to 15. You can get a very good bottle of wine for $9 to 10 as well. The wine shops I've been to always have helpful winesellers. And they don't flinch when I ask for a bottle of that price range. They tend to be helpful. A couple of times I have asked for a bottle for about $25 or 30 range and for the matching the style of the meal (the country of the cuisine and type of meal it would be) the wineseller offered a much cheaper wine because he knew the pairing of a particular wine was a greater match.

But then again, I can't distinguish these alleged ubersubtle flavors that are supposed to be in many of these wines. Sometimes the description mentions cheesy or chocolaty or strawberry flavors I have to shake my head and say, "oh yeah you're right! It's in there!" But of course, I'm lying like a rug under a heavy sofa. Unless I was drinking wine mixed with chocolate syrup, I rarely would doubt I would ever taste the subtle undertones of chocolate in a wine and other similar ubersubtle flavorings as well.
Seed

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 04:58 am
@tsarstepan,
Haha, I know all to well about "tasting" certain flavors. I can not do it either. Though my friends swear the taste is there. Smile all very helpfully information. I feel like going to a wine tasting. Though I would probably swallow and forget to spit.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 05:33 am
@Seed,
I have no intentions of ever going to a wine tasting. What's the point of tasting wine if you're going to spit it back out, (it maybe a part of my don't waste any food sense of guilt I've learned while growing up too).

I either like a wine or I don't like it. I can't rate a wine like I can rate a film with a rating of 1 through 10. Wines? 1 = hate it. 2 = meh about it. 3 = wine is good. 4 = Do you mind if I drink the whole bottle?
sullyfish6

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 10:13 am
I used to get a horrendous sulfite reaction when I drank wine and have decided it's only with the cheap stuff. Red wine is an instant heartburn, so I drink Sauv. Blanc, more on the sweet side or a Reisling. But, really, I'd rather have a cocktail.

I find wine snobs boring and elistist, so don't think you have to go toe to toe with them. You'll never win.

Stick to a good beer or vodka drink. Let her have her wine. But BOTH of you get into the bubble bath, for sure.

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 10:37 am
@Seed,
Seed wrote:

Haha, I know all to well about "tasting" certain flavors. I can not do it either. Though my friends swear the taste is there. Smile all very helpfully information. I feel like going to a wine tasting. Though I would probably swallow and forget to spit.

You don't have to spit, I never do!

Wine drinking tips: make sure you are inhaling when you drink so that you get the full bouquet. Also, try to 'push' the wine into the roof of your mouth using your tongue - this forces the wine into taste buds which aren't prominent on the surface of your tongue, so you get a fuller taste.

The flavor tasting shows up over time, I never used to be able to tell the difference either. Same with coffee actually.

Most of all, relax! Wine is supposed to be fun.

I agree with others here that 10-15 will get you a great bottle of wine these days. If it's a regular meal, not a special meal, don't splurge - buy Table wine! I drink glasses of Two Buck Chuck out here in CA all the time with dinner.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 10:49 am
@Seed,
Seed wrote:

What is an fair amount of money to spend on a bottle of wine for dinner? I am by no means a classy guy. I eat hot pockets for the love of god! My friends are garden variety people as well.

Well, you've already made one big step toward certified oenophilia, in that you trust your taste buds.

In terms of price, I've learned that you can find many a good bottle around $10, provided you avoid those that feature animals on the label. Between $10 and $20, the world is your oyster. Anything priced above that I have sampled in tasting rooms first.
Gargamel

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 10:50 am
@Gargamel,
As usual I've parrotted the agile posters of A2K.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 10:50 am
@Seed,
Seed wrote:
I eat hot pockets for the love of god!

Why?
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 10:51 am
Mr.Irish keeps journals; once we've finished a bottle of wine, he soaks off the label and pastes it into his book with brief notes of his opinion/date purchased/price, etc.

I choose wines based on the pretty labels. He frowns.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 10:54 am
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

Mr.Irish keeps journals; once we've finished a bottle of wine, he soaks off the label and pastes it into his book with brief notes of his opinion/date purchased/price, etc.

I choose wines based on the pretty labels. He frowns.

So, what are your faves? We might as well give Seed some recommendations!

Cycloptichorn
DrewDad

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 11:08 am
@Seed,
When trying a new wine, I like to nibble a few things to see how it goes with different flavors.

Cheese (generally goes better with beer, though), pretzels, chocolate, bread, etc.

Nibble, sip, reflect. Nibble, sip, reflect....
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 11:17 am
http://blogs.pitch.com/fatcity/cheap-red-wine.jpg
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 11:20 am
@Cycloptichorn,
He's currently exploring some of the Malbecs from Argentina. Two that we liked:

Trapiche Malbec Oak Cask 2007
Altos Las Hormigas Malbec 2008

Both affordable in the $10-$12 range.

Gargamel

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 11:42 am
@Irishk,
The Catena malbec, from Argentina, will knock your socks off.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 11:45 am
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:

I've had that!

Right now I've been on a big Sterling kick, their wines are great.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 12:47 pm
In spite of (apparently) a lot of arrogant snobs think, there are a number of good california dinner wines that come in a box.
Irishk

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 12:49 pm
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:

Thank you! Sounds like something we'd really enjoy:

Quote:
Tasting Notes
The 2007 Catena Malbec shows a dark violet color with deep bluish black tones. The nose offers ripe, concentrated dark fruit aromas with delicate floral notes and traces of vanilla and mocha. The mouthfeel is rich and lush, with concentrated black cherry and red currant fruit flavors layered with sweet spices, tobacco and a touch of leather. The finish presents soft, supple tannins with bright, crisp acidity and a flinty minerality which gives the wine exceptional length.

Jay Miller gives this number a huge 91+ points "The purple-colored 2007 Catena Malbec spent 12 months in 35% new French and American oak. The nose reveals balsam wood, vanilla, mocha, cassis, and black cherry. Plush on the palate, this medium-bodied Malbec has layered, spicy flavors, with a touch of tobacco and leather making an appearance. Balanced and lengthy, it will evolve for 2-3 years and offer prime drinking from 2011 to 2019."

0 Replies