What is the best red wine?

Thu 10 May, 2018 10:43 am
I love red wine over white. When ever my wife and I go out for lunch or dinner, I order a glass of the house red wine - either cab or merlot. I'm not so concerned about the winery. I've never been disappointed. Do you have a favorite?

Sturgis

Thu 10 May, 2018 01:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
When I still imbibed in that area, my selections were simple. What could be found in the discount barrel, what was given to me and what was a low price (though not too low if planning to entertain, as I didn't want to seem excessively cheap). Essentially any red would do and was preferable to white (although white was fine if that's all I could find).
cicerone imposter

Thu 10 May, 2018 01:36 pm
@Sturgis,
In my younger days while on vacation, I would drink vodka martinis, and three was my limit. Now, I only drink red wine. It seems restaurants are pretty good at picking red wines for around $9 - $15/glass.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 10 May, 2018 02:36 pm
I rarely drink alcohol these days. Sweet red wine is one of my favorites. I never bought the good stuff.
cicerone imposter

Thu 10 May, 2018 02:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
I like my wine with a slight taste of tanin.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Thu 10 May, 2018 02:54 pm
Bollo Amarone.

I personally like a white zinfandel.

But I’m not a wine drinker. Prefer Tito’s with cranberry and soda, with lime. .
cicerone imposter

Thu 10 May, 2018 03:24 pm
@PUNKEY,
Here's a high rated zin for $24.
Bear Flag Zinfandel 2015
Zinfandel from Sonoma County, California
TP93WS92WW92WE91
3.9 19 Ratings
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 10 May, 2018 04:32 pm
After some experimentation I've discovered that I like the peppery taste of some good Baco Noir. If it's my choice I'll always ask for a Henry of Pelham Baco Noir.

I don't like wines that are too sweet or fruity. Dry and peppery is the thing for me. Baco Noir holds up well to beef and is great with cheese plates as well as charcuterie.
cicerone imposter

Thu 10 May, 2018 04:48 pm
@ehBeth,
Here's an interesting article on BAco Noir. I had to look it up, because I've not heard of it before. https://www.forbes.com/sites/katiebell/2013/07/01/baco-noir-might-be-americas-most-patriotic-wine/#207a2bd369bb
BTW, we have great wine producers in Napa-Sonoma and Lodi in California. When we were kids, we used to harvest grapes in the Lodi area.
edgarblythe

Thu 10 May, 2018 05:23 pm
I used to live down the street from the Roma Winery. Their sign advertised The World's Largest Winery.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 10 May, 2018 06:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I don't think you find much Baco Noir made in California as California focuses on a different kind of grape. There are some Oregon ones you can try but I think the best American ones are from New York State. I prefer the ones from Ontario's Niagara region, but the county also produces a couple of good ones.

Ask for a Baco Noir when you're having a meal that will stand up to a wine that is solid. I liked the description that article offered of one with sour cherry notes. I might like that, though I really love the peppery Baco Noirs a lot. Not that I drink a lot, or a lot of red wine - but when the meal is right, a good Baco Noir is a really great addition to it.
cicerone imposter

Thu 10 May, 2018 07:22 pm
@ehBeth,
I'll try to remember, and order Baco Noir on our next meal out. I'll try to report back with my amatuer analysis. Here's a good article on phenolics of wine. https://www.quora.com/Why-do-some-wines-have-notes-of-vanilla-peach-licorice-spice-flowers-etc-when-there-have-not-been-any-of-those-elements-used-in-its-production
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 11 May, 2018 12:44 am
I can't drink red wine any more, not for a long time just one glass gives me a banging headache. When I could drink it I used to like a nice claret or burgundy. Always liked French reds.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Fri 11 May, 2018 05:43 am
@cicerone imposter,
My personal favorite red wine is Syrah or Shiraz.
0 Replies

LoganWilliamsq

Mon 14 May, 2018 01:24 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Cant drink wine anymore. Before i break up with my ex, we drink only wine... Now i cant smell or taste it)
0 Replies

mark noble

Tue 15 May, 2018 10:39 am
@cicerone imposter,
Have you considered the effects of alcohol on your 'body'? You look overweight - So I guess Not?
tsarstepan

Tue 15 May, 2018 10:59 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Have you considered the effects of alcohol on your 'body'? You look overweight - So I guess Not?

Please think before you troll Mark (which we all know you will not). I've met CI in real life. He's far from overweight. Very healthy considering his age.
mark noble

Tue 15 May, 2018 11:05 am
@tsarstepan,
And 'Your' opinion supercedes all others?

But, I agree - I needn't have infered my observation.
Thanks for revealing my detriment.
namaste.
0 Replies

mark noble

Tue 15 May, 2018 11:13 am
@tsarstepan,
It's a little like asking which size hammer you smash your own face in with - Is your favourite, though?

Healthy?
I think Not.

Do encourage alcohol use, at your pleasure. I will Not.
izzythepush

Tue 15 May, 2018 11:29 am
@mark noble,
It's great being a killjoy going on threads just to rubbish them.

Why not do what most people do and only go on the threads with topics that interest you. That way you might not come across as such a monumental pain in the arse.