You whine, I wyne, we all Wine

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 05:35 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

On a related note I've been considering spending a weekend in the Russian river valley, they apparently have a budding industry there as well.
Cheers
Cycloptichorn

Nice place - try Guernville or Monte Rio. There is a great deal of grape cultivation around there, at least where the redwoods end - the wine merchants often call it "The Alexander Valley" (don't know why).

Done, thanks for the recommendation.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 05:35 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

No kangaroos or any noticeable mascots.

Negative on the very popular brand of Yellow Tail wine. They do a lot of street advertising here in NYC.

I really don't like Yellow Tail at all. I've had several bottles which were so-so at best.

Cycloptichorn
NickFun

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 05:36 pm
@Seed,
An interesting question. A friend of mine dislikes coffee even though he's tried to gain a taste for it. He says he sometimes drinks it at functions to not appear rude. Personally, if I do not like something, I will decline an invitation to consume.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 05:46 pm
@NickFun,
Perhaps your friend should try tea, non? Wink
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 09:36 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I'm glad that someone else likes Merlot besides me, so many snobs turn their noses up at it around here.

Count me among the Merlot swilling slobs, Cyclops.
Gargamel

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 11:21 am
@Ticomaya,
Why are there so many merlot haters? Because of Sideways? Because if you pick a wine to hate you're suddenly knowledgable about wine and therefore awesome? Sure, merlot is shitty when you buy it at 7 Eleven. I think it's funny when merlot haters order up a zin or some other light red.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 11:34 am
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:

Why are there so many merlot haters? Because of Sideways? Because if you pick a wine to hate you're suddenly knowledgable about wine and therefore awesome? Sure, merlot is shitty when you buy it at 7 Eleven. I think it's funny when merlot haters order up a zin or some other light red.

Totally agree.

My wife was watching an episode of a show I've never seen before, the other night, called Ugly Betty. A mildly interesting show about the fashion industry. The main character wants to gain more 'taste' in fashion, and proceeds to ask others the best way to do this. One replies, 'just hate and knock everything. You don't have taste until you know what you hate.'

Sterling Vineyards 1999 merlot is the wine that got me interested in wine. And it's something like 150 dollars a bottle now.

Cycl0ptichorn
ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 12:58 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I visited Sterling Vineyard several years ago, an enjoyable experience. I just looked up the website, and see they have an aerial tram ride as part of their tour now. www.sterlingvineyards.com/
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 01:01 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I visited Sterling Vineyard several years ago, an enjoyable experience. I just looked up the website, and see they have an aerial tram ride as part of their tour now. www.sterlingvineyards.com/

Yeah I took it last year. Had a Pinot Gris which was fantastic along with a bunch of other great wines.

Haha, now that I think about it we smoked a joint in that tram car on the way down. Fun trip!

Cycloptichorn
ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 01:26 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
; )
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 05:03 pm
@Ticomaya,
Hi, Tico!

How goes it? TY for your acknowledgement. I appreciate your sending me PM about this thread. So many members have written such useful and helpful info. I'll try not to repeat what has been covered.

{Editorial Nolte: I feel the need to write. Here's a small article around this subject. For those who have no interest, please feel free to scroll on past. For those who are interested, I put in topic headings so you can scroll down to what interests you. I hold no pretense that I'm an expert on the subject. I'm just a semi-retired writer-photog who has time on my hands.}

Why Whine Over Wine?
Why whine? 'Cause it tastes good and makes meals taste even better. As I state previously, I'm no wine expert; however, I'm passionate about wines, love blending wines with foods. After some gypsy domestic travel (decades ago), my fave west coast trip is over to Napa Valley in Calif. While on vacation in 1979, I visited a few wineries. I sampled a lot, bought a few bottles and took notes on what I liked and learned. From that first trip on my '79 vacation onward, I went from being an infrequent buyer to a regular wine drinker and explorer.

Wine Tasting Culture
So, wine-tasting (for consumption ... not collecting) has been a hobby, but I avoid the wine-tasting culture(?) and all the snobbery that might go with it.
Life is too short to listen to people's rambling as the wax poetic over fig-likem or 'flinty' overtones and hints of heather or grassy undertones. As a writer, I deplore that seeming exclusive-wine-club elitism. I also avoid (like the plague) all elitist wine press (media).

Wine Media
However, all that being said, Robert Parker (a follower of Nader's philosophy of being pro-consumer not catering to corporate interests) is often a great help to most who are seeking to learn. Also, I recommend his wine magazine called 'The Wine Advocvate':
'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wine_Advocate'.
This mag has excellent guides for the general public, as opposed to being only geared toward the veteran oenophile.

Wine Price-Value, Personal Taste and Newbie Wine-Tasting
I reiterate the sage advice that 'good tasting wine' need not be more than $12-$15 and decent wine can be had for around $8-$12, or (have mercy) even $6. For many (or even most of the public) it's fine for wine to be just decent-tasting. or pleasant .

As an aside, if most of my friends were asked what they felt the focus of a meal 'should' be, they'd say the food is the foucs and wine is just an adjunct to the meal. Others who are more passionate about wine, feel the wine has a stronger focus - but I digress. I've polled them awhile ago and most avoid spending more than $12-$15. A smaller amount of them spend about $20.

Wine Differences and Appreciation
You don't have to have golden taste buds to appreciate the difference in tastes (and after-tastes) of wines. All you need is the desire and give yourself some exposure to tasting different types of wines. If your taste buds are OK (and you take the time), many consumers will gravitate to good-tasting wines they like regardless of the sales and/or marketing forces.

Major Wine Producing Regions/Countries and in USA
Italy
France
USA
Germany/Austria
Spain
South Africa
Argentina.

Areas of wine-producing in USA-N.A. (Calif, Washington/Oregon, NY State, and in Canada, Ontario and B.C.)

General Reputations/Type of Wines from Wine-producing Regions around the world

France - great reds and whites, but often times value-for-USD is lesser here but mostly (fior me) the taste can be worth it in the more expensively priced (~$15-$20 USD) wines. Wines excell from all ovr and I've explored wines from Medoc, Rhone, Burgundy, etc.

Italy makes good-to-great, reasonable value-for-the US & Canadian Dollar) red and white, but my favorite is red. Specifically, the Tuscan-Piedmont region is tops, but frankly there's hardly an Italian region from which I haven't had good or great wines. Sicily makes some amazing Chianti (Chianti Classico and Reserve).

Inexpensive Aussie Brands
Yellow Tail is a very pervasive and inexpensive Aussie brand with a huge presence in supermarkets and wine stores. While thios wine is not first chocie for inexpensive wines, it can be found easily almost any palce that sells wine. Aussie-land makes other reasonably-priced wines (Black Opal, Rosemount, Lindemann).

Austria/Germany make good-to-incredible white wines (Reisling, Kabinett, Auslese, Spatlese, Liebfraumilch.

South Africa makes great whites (as Austria and Germany) . Johannesburg Reislings are tops. Honorable mention here also goes to New Zealand.

Argentina - good values in reds Malbec (red) as well as blends of Malbec with Syrah/Shriaz). These red are commonly priced under $10 USD and are enjoyable for most part for those who are looking for a tasty red.

I can go on and on here, but this might help some people to get a foothold.

Ragman

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 05:23 pm
@Gargamel,
The movie 'Sideways' I think had a certain influence on wine-snob-wannabes. I think they thought it gave them -street-cred' to trash merlot. However, that being said, good Merlot can be found readily, is not that too expensive at around $10-$15 and is produced by smaller botique-style as well as large vineyards so you can find all sorts of varitiesd to fit wide tastes.

Speaking the 'pretty label' method of chosing wines ...
What comes readily to my mind is a brand of melot cleverly named Marilyn Merlot. What a pretty label so who cares what comes in the bottle!

My fave V-Day treat (sunday) is a glass of merlot with some rich dark chocolate -- particularly Lindt. Maybe even choc-dipped strawberry.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 05:29 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Russian River Valley, Columbia River and Williamette (Sp?) Valley came to my mind as awesome a region as there is anywhere. Pinot Noirs (red) from there blow my socks off. Many great white wines, partic. Cabernet Sauvignon, Fume Blanc and Pinot Gris too.

A great chunk of info on Cab Sauv regions around the world and in North America can be found at this hyperlink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauvignon_blanc
georgeob1

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 05:33 pm
@Ragman,
If you like "big" red wines, I would also add some of the Chilean varietals being exported here. Great prices and excellent quality.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 05:38 pm
@Ragman,
I enjoyed your post, Ragman, and agreed with much, with the exception that chiantis are from the chianti valley area of Tuscany. (There's a good book about it I read along time ago, not so much to read about wine back then, but because I like the area and wanted to read the history. Chianti by Raymond Flower.

Don't think the grapes there are the same as those in Sicily, except maybe malvasia, which used to be included in all the original chiantis.
I haven't tried many Sicilian wines (but I like their amaro/amari). One I would like to try is Nero d'Avola. http://www.bestofsicily.com/wine.htm

I can never be a wine snob - I've a poor sense of smell.
Ragman

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 05:45 pm
@georgeob1,
Yes, thanks, Georgeob1. Conspicuous in its absence was my mention of Chile for its reds) and also...Brazil (popular export from there is its whites -- Sauv Blanc).
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 05:52 pm
@ossobuco,
Hi Osso. As always, I enjoy your contributions and comments. My comment on Chianti was not meant to be interpreted as saying that Chianti comes from Sicily but just to mention I thought I had a good Chianti from Sicily.
As you point out, as a wine-producing region it's best known for Malvasia/Malvazia/Malmsey. Sicilain wines are, more often than not, known for sweet dessert wines and fortified wines.

My education about wines is far from complete. I thank you for correcting any possible misunderstanding and appreciate adding your valuable comments. A former gf (wineloving and great cook) passed on to me a love of wines from Tuscanny and Piedmont. she somehow had me tery a Chianti I thought was from Sicily, but this was 15 yrs ago, though.

This link addresses the term 'Super Tuscan' as refers to (gorgeous) wines from this area: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Tuscan#Super_Tuscans

The following hypelink does far better justice to wine info than I could ever think of doing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauvignon_blanc

Oh yes, in looking back also missing from my report was any mention of Portuguese wine. They also make a Malvasia/Malvazia which might not necesarily related to the other prior-mentioned one. Famous Portuguese wines (or infamous) is Mateus, a Rose. Then there are the dessert or fortified wine such as Madeira, a Portuguese Island product.

When I'm looking for a sweet dessert wines, I think of the Jerez region of Spain. Brandy- lovers who seek out sherry (cream, golden-cream sherry, etc) look to producers from here.

Then there's India ...
ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 06:24 pm
@Ragman,
Ragg, my first trip to italy was in '88 and, at near 50, I had never been to Europe. I was in such a travel happy state that I think I would have imprinted on anywhere on earth. We were there a month, and it wasn't enough for my avid interest, thus all the later reading and other trips.
Amigo

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 06:40 pm
@Seed,
My girlfriend is a manager of a fine dinning restaurant that won two awards from wine spectator and the next biggest wine magazine (i forget the name). She is taking her sommelier and her dad makes his own wine, alot of it. I have been trust into this wine world. We drink and talk about wine every night. We just made the new wine menu for her restaurant together and I did most of the research.

Watch John Cleese's Wine for the Confused

http://www.hulu.com/watch/79439/wine-for-the-confused

Do not think you are going to smell or taste the "notes" that the pros do. People are faking it there is a very small group of people I beleive that have the pallet to taste and smell these notes.

Walk before you run and start from the start. When you drink it think about this when drinking each wine.

Body = How full or thick or heavy it feels in you mouth

Dry or sweet= Dry means not sweet. sweet means not dry

Tannin= tannins is what causes the dry and puckery feeling in the mouth. Tannin comes from (mostley comonley) the grape skin. The grape skin is what also makes red win red. The inside of the grape is white.

Acidity= the carbonation feel

Body
dryness
Tannin
acidity

You have to try to understand what these terms mean and feel like. Red wine goes with steak or lasagna because it is heavy and hearty like steack and lasgna. White wine goes with white sauses and fish because thay are lighter and white wine is light and crisp. Wine is actually easy to understand as long as you don't buy into the bullshit.

To this day when I smell wine I still smell nothing but wine or fermented grapes. I don't smell many notes and I have alot of wine experience and drinking.

You will see in John Cleese's Wine for the Confused in a blind taste test people can't even tell Red from White.

Also

DO NOT take a 5$ bottle of wine to your freinds house
Ragman

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 06:41 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks, Osso. When (and if) I get to go to Europe, the places I'm most interested to see are places that make wine. History-shmistory - give me some great wine and some home made cheese and snack right at a vineyard qwith those golden rays of sunlight making my shutter-fingers twirch.

Ooops, I forgot to mention Greece as a wine-makers too. the history of wine-making revolves around historic Greece. "ancient Greeks pioneered new methods of viticulture and wine production which they shared with early winemaking communities in what are now France, Italy"

Grappa (mercy) is a fortified-grape product. Takes the hair right off your head.
0 Replies