Tue 1 Apr, 2014 04:53 pm
@Krumple,
bookmark
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 04:54 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
My masculine soul is content and happy when it gets enough carnal pleasure.

aka The Tender Trap. I have been caught a few times myself but I have managed to escape every time.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 05:07 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
In a future atheist kingdom

I think what you want is a Catholic world which doesn't persecute a small minority who vainly vent their anger on it.

The venting of anger produces chemicals in the bloodstream which are pleasureable. Dopamine is said to be one of them. Adrenaline. Any chemical in the bloodstream which produces pleasure is addictive and usually requires increasing doses.

The Internet provides for that because it is anonymous and one might get large doses with little risk.
Olivier5

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 05:31 pm
@spendius,
I am just hoping that the good things brought by Christianity, such as an emphasis on love, will not be thrown out with it, but will be preserved in an atheist world.
hingehead

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 05:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thanks Edgar, my bad. Apols to Olivier for my crass generalisation - does this flow through to federal representation?
cicerone imposter

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 05:58 pm
@Olivier5,
Love is not based on any religion.
edgarblythe

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 06:38 pm
@hingehead,
Not that I can find.
Olivier5

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 07:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
No but it was usefully emphasized by Christianity.
cicerone imposter

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 07:30 pm
@Olivier5,
I think most religions promote "love." In the whole scheme of things, it really doesn't make any difference. Humans are prone to killing and wars, but also the creator of military armaments and bombs that kill by the thousands (millions) - all under the guise of the most developed countries with religion.
hingehead

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 07:53 pm
@Olivier5,
Particularly man on boy love.

Seriously though, you don't think if you were born in India you wouldn't be saying the same about hinduism? And you don't think Judaism has a rich collection of scriptures on love pre-dating christianity?

You're such an odd atheist - mildly ranting about what pussies some atheists are, but batting for christianity above any other religion or lack of religion.

But like I said, we come in all political shapes and philosophical sizes.

For the record I'm with CI, I think love predates religion.
hingehead

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 07:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
I guess only in that local and state political office is usually a precursor to federal representation (what percentage of presidents are former governors?)
neologist

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 07:54 pm
@Olivier5,
Love is a human trait. It no doubt is one reason for the success of such humanistic philosophies as enlightened self interest.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 08:20 pm
I suspect love predates civilization and speech, even.
hingehead

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 08:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
It definitely predates civilization, because we haven't attained that yet Surprised
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 10:02 pm
@hingehead,
In the United States, former governors are much more successful in running for president than former senators.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 10:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
I have not the least doubt that what we call love is not just a human trait, but an animal trait. Both mammals and birds show strong attachments to humans, and to one another. Many species of bird mate for life. Dogs love humans and one another. A striking example came when our little girl dog died not quite a year ago. She and Mr. Bailey had often had their squabblers, and she had always dominated him. When she died, he seemed not to understand why she was "sleeping" in her dog bed on the end of the sofa (we left her there until The Girl could take her to the vet to be cremated). Then The Girl and one of her friends took Cleo out the front door, and, from Mr. Bailey's perspective, she never came back. (She came back in the form of ashes in an elegant little box.) Mr. Bailey began sleeping at the front door, waiting for his friend to come back--which of course, she never will. He sleeps there to this day, and in fact, when not outside to do his business, or going for a walk, he spends his day at the front door.

I've long thought that the assumptions that people make about animals--despising their intelligence or their equivalent of what we call humanity--is just species prejudice. Animals are, i believe, much more intelligent and perceptive than we give them credit for being. Even cats and dogs develop very close relationships. Love is not an exclusively human emotion.
cicerone imposter

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 10:17 pm
@Setanta,
Your post brings to mind about animal cemeteries where owners have built beautiful headstones for their pets that they visit regularly. More so than most humans visit their loved ones long gone.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 10:22 pm
That may be because pets love unconditionally. They'll never criticize your hair style, or call you fat, or become angry at you for your political or religious opinions. They are happy in your company no matter what you are doing, or what you are wearing, or whether nor not you showered and shaved that morning. Dogs are happy to go shopping with you, even though it means waiting in the car, because then they know where you are, and that you will return. They've figured that out about cars.

If you're sad, your pets know it right away, and they attempt to comfort you--if by nothing other than a demonstration which says: "I still love you."
hingehead

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 10:30 pm
@Setanta,
My regular saturday dog walk is to the local butcher. I hitch the dogs up a verandah pole outside the general store where the owner has a metal bucket full of water for the local dogs.

My two always have a big sook when they can't see me (unless distracted by stranger pats and other dogs). I always come back. I've been doing this for three years, but they still cry like I'm mistreating them. Maybe I should drive.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 11:28 pm
I had a border collie many years ago, and i trained her to wait outside when i went into a store. Even if the store's door was propped open, she would wait. She'd sit there with her nose just touching an invisible and imaginary line which defined the entrance to the store. She would not come into the store, but she kept her eye on me while i was in there.