edgarblythe wrote:

FBM you are evil. Very Happy

Thank you! So kind of you to notice! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 26 Dec, 2011 01:41 am
@Thomas,
Eh.
I entered some contest for a redo of that park area specific to the place around the St. Monica statue, that even I rather liked. Naturally I didn't win. But that's the park I used to run in at my lunch hour, back when. Also did a few paintings of something like 4 x 5 feet related to photos I took.

That's the same park that lost a lot of ground (when, I don't remember, in the fifties) with a picnic bench of people slipping off the cliff.

As I've read about it, the atheist thing was, to me, quite lame. What they did was win points for proprietary coverage, and then had one to me lame-oh exhibit.

I didn't read the nyt on it, since, of course, that now costs money. But I read LAT.

If I were queen, I'd disallow all of them from fritzing up the park.

Oh, and I had my first communion at St. Monica's..

0 Replies

spendius

Mon 26 Dec, 2011 05:31 am
@FBM,
Quote:
I don't go door to door trying to convert them to atheism; they should be as courteous.

I agree. It is profoundly unChristian. Door to door canvassing is illegal here. (I think). If it isn't it ought to be.
FBM

Mon 26 Dec, 2011 07:05 am
@spendius,
Here in Korea, it seems to be in vogue. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

failures art

Mon 26 Dec, 2011 09:38 am
@FBM,
There's a video on the web of Atheists going door to door in Salt Lake City to see how Mormons (presumably because of the high population regionally) react when they are asked to change their views at their doorstep. As one would suspect, the reaction they have is not what they would hope for if the roles were reversed.

A
R
T
spendius

Mon 26 Dec, 2011 10:17 am
@failures art,
But a video might have been scripted fa. Or edited.

Knock knock. Door opens and gorgeous blonde appears in an unbuttoned dressing gown. "Are you a religious person Madam," the atheist says. "Oh yes!! she breathes, "very much so". "So am I", atheist says, "maybe we should get together----"CUT!! CUT!!" director shouts. "That's no good at all. You're fired Fred."
0 Replies

hingehead

Mon 26 Dec, 2011 11:06 am
@failures art,
Here it is Art - from the inimitable John Safran

0 Replies

FBM

Mon 26 Dec, 2011 07:08 pm
@failures art,
I wonder if they kept it up, or if it was a one-time thing just to make the video.
hingehead

Mon 26 Dec, 2011 07:13 pm
@FBM,
It was a one time thing - it was just a little part of an Australian series - John Safran vs God.
FBM

Mon 26 Dec, 2011 07:31 pm
@hingehead,
Ah. Thanks for the title! Off to track it down...
Eorl

Mon 26 Dec, 2011 08:21 pm
@FBM,
Safran has done several TV series length documentaries. All of them genius.
FBM

Mon 26 Dec, 2011 08:30 pm
@Eorl,
Found them on youtube. Awesome. Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 30 Dec, 2011 03:47 am
@Eorl,
Can he be considered a comedian? (Apart from the Salt Lake City thing, i am totally ignorant of the man.)
Eorl

Fri 30 Dec, 2011 04:12 am
@Setanta,
Yes, I suppose he can. I'd call him a documentary maker with a sense of humour and enormous balls. ("Gonzo" Journalism?)

He got himself onto Palestinian official radio at Hamas HQ and played a cassette recording of "If I Were a Rich Man".

He was crucified in the Philippines for Easter (yes, really).

He (Jewish) and a Arab accomplice swapped sperm and donated to Arab and Jewish (ie opposite) sperm banks.

The nearest comparison I could make would be Louis Theroux.

Setanta

Fri 30 Dec, 2011 04:15 am
@Eorl,
I see . . . 150 proof comedy . . .
Eorl

Fri 30 Dec, 2011 04:26 am
@Setanta,
Yes, but there's always a pretty serious point being made, that seems to come from a place of outrage or disgust or even genuine curiosity rather than just for laughs.
spendius

Fri 30 Dec, 2011 04:57 am
@Eorl,
And there's a living to make and a dash to cut with nothing but a sow's ear.
0 Replies

hingehead

Fri 30 Dec, 2011 06:12 am
I've often said there's a chasm between atheism and antitheism - if you lean to the latter this is the site for you

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/
0 Replies

hingehead

Fri 30 Dec, 2011 06:21 am
I just watched that Safran video and then watched some of the related videos

I love any attempt to disprove atheism with science - these look like an antitheist made them to make theists look bad.

edgarblythe

Fri 30 Dec, 2011 06:27 am
I get turned off mostly these days, because the theists haul out the same lame arguments, as if they had just discovered them. It's boring and futile to discuss it with them.