that makes me valedictorian of my own special class ?

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 09:29 am
"that" = “Harvard’s most successful dropout”?

Context:

President Bok, former President Rudenstine, incoming President Faust, members of the Harvard Corporation and the Board of Overseers, members of the faculty, parents, and especially, the graduates:

I’ve been waiting more than 30 years to say this: “Dad, I always told you I’d come back and get my degree.”

I want to thank Harvard for this timely honor. I’ll be changing my job next year … and it will be nice to finally have a college degree on my resume.

I applaud the graduates today for taking a much more direct route to your degrees. For my part, I’m just happy that the Crimson has called me “Harvard’s most successful dropout.” I guess that makes me valedictorian of my own special class … I did the best of everyone who failed.

But I also want to be recognized as the guy who got Steve Ballmer to drop out of business school. I’m a bad influence. That’s why I was invited to speak at your graduation. If I had spoken at your orientation, fewer of you might be here today.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 495 • Replies: 4
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
sullyfish6

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 11:23 am
being a dropout = that
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 01:00 pm
He's the best of the worst. The best of a class of dropouts.

0 Replies

engineer
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 03:59 pm
@oristarA,
"That" refers to "the Crimson has called me “Harvard’s most successful dropout.”"
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 10:02 pm
Thank you all.
0 Replies