Why some people don't love their parents?

zhjuan

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 05:23 am
About eight year ago, a friend of mine's wife didn't get on with the parent while living together. The couple moved out and BOY, this friend of mine swore that he will never see all of his family every again, including siblings. He appear to be really cold blooded towards his parents and forbidden anyone who try to persuade him to change his mind. He'd cut a friend off if anyone dare to do so. For years, I've heard his mother cry and cry and cry. It wasn't anyone's fault that the wife and the parent didn't get on because people do fight when live together. This is not the first time I see a child turn back on parent. I've got a child of my own, I wonder, what have those people done wrong that their children couldn't remember and appreciate the love and kindness the parent had given to them while brought them up. His friend told me recently that he would not even go back to mourn when the parent dies... how chilly.

engineer

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 07:44 am
@zhjuan,
Some hurts are too deep and some people are too shallow. In some ways, this is the ultimate revenge. In the case you mention, this guy has succeeded in torturing his parents day after day until the end of their lives. You've got to wonder what on earth happened to make him think such revenge is warranted and what is the cost to him personally.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 08:59 am
Could be from a hurt OR there is someting else going on.

When people isolate themselves from relatives it CAN mean that there are other psycholgoical things going on.

Is he depressed? anxious? over reactive about work and his marriage? threatened about job?

When the ENTIRE family gets cut off, that's a bad thing. Usually a siblling stays in contact with at least one other person in the family.

You have to look at the entire picture.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 09:27 am
I think it is impossible to know what goes on in the private lives of others. We have a face we show to the world and a face we show to our family, and the face is not always the same one. Most people I know who turned away from their parents did so with good reason. It often had to do with abuse (physical and or mental) and neglect. A few people are angry without good reason, but I consider that a mental illness when the person can perceive reality. As children grow up I think they learn to accept their parents more. The children start to understand their parents are human and make mistakes. They are also more likely to understand (especially as they become parents themselves) that parents try to do the best they can, but few people have been taught how to be good parents and it requires a lot of good guess work.
0 Replies

zhjuan

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 03:10 pm
This friend told me that he dislike conflict so much that instead of solving the problem, he run for it. Then I ask why can't you visit them every now and then since you don't live with them any more, he replied it is a decision he has made and he will never change this decision. I told him his parent love him so much, they are so hungry to get him back in contact, he replied, he don't care, it not his business...
0 Replies

zhjuan

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 03:28 pm
Another friend of mine's daughter also turn her back on the mother. Bother the two mothers treat their children with care and let their children grew up with free will and only very few restrictions in how they should do with their life since a child, I wonder, is this the main cause to the problem?
0 Replies

Carmen1981

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 08:57 am
@zhjuan,
You mention you have a child of your own and the way you speak it seems you are a great parent very devoted to your child but sadly this isn't the case with everybody. The ability to have a child does not equate to always putting them first. Sometimes families who appear very loving and together on the surface have a lot of issues behind closed doors which is why cases of abuse sometimes go unnoticed by other family members and close friends. I am not saying this is what happened with your friend but please remember that the fact his mom cries and tells you she hurts doesn't mean her side of the story is the right one.

It is impossible to say what went on in their house that drove away your friend and his wife. It isn't just about her not liking his parents, he seems to have a lot of anger which might have been there since childhood. He might have his reasons for not telling you what his issues are and simply leave it as he wants to avoid conflict.

I don't think someone who grew up with in a loving, supportive family situation would turn away to the point of not even wanting to attend his parents funeral without reason. Maybe he has other issues of his own that have nothing to do with his parents but it is impossible to say without knowing if he is happy with his life now that he has broken off contact with them.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 09:08 am
Some bridges crumble, once they have been crossed. It is the way of life, that people move along, some getting separated, others clinging out of love. If the man is so set, make the best of it and hope the bridge may repair, of its own accord.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 09:29 am
@Carmen1981,
Carmen, welcome to Able2Know.

0 Replies