29
   

Missing in action: Where is the mind?

 
 
JLNobody
 
  1  
Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 10:20 pm
@Cyracuz,
You ask if your ear captures or makes sound. It seems to me that the experience of sound depends on "objective" conditions (like the falling tree) and the "subjective" experience of sound (reflecting neurological processes) . In other words your "ear" both capture and make it.
voiceindarkness
 
  1  
Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 11:02 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

You ask if your ear captures or makes sound. It seems to me that the experience of sound depends on "objective" conditions (like the falling tree) and the "subjective" experience of sound (reflecting neurological processes) . In other words your "ear" both capture and make it.
So, Surprised what have you heard? Shocked Your mind both capture and make it. Cool

I am in your head, Laughing I am a safe house of the mind. Cool cheers to fuckin with ya. Wink
Procrustes
 
  1  
Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 06:27 am
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
Thought generator, or perhaps thought receptor. Or perhaps both.

Perhaps it is both.

Quote:
But I wouldn't say random. I don't know if anything is truly random

Perhaps randomness could be replaced with undescribed uncertainty within a field of ordered logicality and rationale that acts as both transmitter and receiver of information.
Procrustes
 
  1  
Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 06:40 am
@Fido,
I think emotions and feelings are of a seperate sense than the things we think of, yet, they are of course inextricably wound up in a sort of subjective embodied experience. So much so, that those distinctions can tend to blurr (I would also add that how aware one is within experiencing these feelings and thoughts may be a factor in articulating the way we define what the differences are... that is of course if one is looking for those differences). However, I'm not sure why there would be a reason to call one thing the other.
voiceindarkness
 
  1  
Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 07:15 am
@Procrustes,
Procrustes wrote:

I think emotions and feelings are of a seperate sense than the things we think of, yet, they are of course inextricably wound up in a sort of subjective embodied experience. So much so, that those distinctions can tend to blurr (I would also add that how aware one is within experiencing these feelings and thoughts may be a factor in articulating the way we define what the differences are... that is of course if one is looking for those differences). However, I'm not sure why there would be a reason to call one thing the other.
Avatar of the mind. Rolling Eyes Wink Cool
0 Replies
 
Cyracuz
 
  1  
Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 10:55 am
@JLNobody,
I can relate to that perspective. "Does a falling tree make sound if no one is around to hear it?"
Yes, and no. Words, and to a large extent, thoughts are one-sided. They cannot grasp the completeness of everything. Thanks for the reminder. Smile
0 Replies
 
Cyracuz
 
  1  
Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 10:57 am
@Procrustes,
I do not understand what you mean by "undescribed uncertainty". I often think of something that appears random as something to which we don't know all the variables. But this view is also problematic.
JLNobody
 
  1  
Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 05:14 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyrs, my computer's acting up. I may be out of action for a while.
Cyracuz
 
  1  
Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 05:44 pm
@JLNobody,
Aw that sucks. I sometimes feel a little isolated if I don't have my regular access to the web. We shall be here when you return. Smile
0 Replies
 
voiceindarkness
 
  1  
Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 07:53 pm
@voiceindarkness,
voiceindarkness wrote:

JLNobody wrote:

You ask if your ear captures or makes sound. It seems to me that the experience of sound depends on "objective" conditions (like the falling tree) and the "subjective" experience of sound (reflecting neurological processes) . In other words your "ear" both capture and make it.
So, Surprised what have you heard? Shocked Your mind both capture and make it. Cool

I am in your head, Laughing I am a safe house of the mind. Cool cheers to fuckin with ya. Wink
Didn't Einstein dream of a simple answer of everything? Smile You're no Einstein, Neutral you're over-thinking everything. Confused

Einstein had the ability to visualize. Cool
Through my eyes of understanding, Smile I have the ability to see, Very Happy what you can not see. Cool

The mind/body experience receives the information that creates the reality you find yourself in. Smile

A dream within a dream of dreams. Very Happy
You are in the dream, Smile the dream is in you, Very Happy you are the dream. Cool
0 Replies
 
Procrustes
 
  1  
Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 04:53 am
@Cyracuz,
I'm trying to relate reality to the mind as an empirical oddity upon which we recieve and transmit various information. The idea of things in them selves needing no justifications set the tone for arbitrary attempts for reason. Hence, not knowing all the variables yet trying to make things defined. It is problematic if the problem is uncertain and if you view uncertainty as a problem.
voiceindarkness
 
  1  
Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 08:08 am
@Procrustes,
Procrustes wrote:

I'm trying to relate reality to the mind as an empirical oddity upon which we recieve and transmit various information. The idea of things in them selves needing no justifications set the tone for arbitrary attempts for reason. Hence, not knowing all the variables yet trying to make things defined. It is problematic if the problem is uncertain and if you view uncertainty as a problem.
Are you a computer? Neutral You talk like one. Cool Have you figured yourself out yet? Smile Good luck with that, Rolling Eyes information in information out. Neutral
Procrustes
 
  1  
Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2012 10:03 am
@voiceindarkness,
Quote:
Are you a computer?

No
Quote:
Have you figured yourself out yet?

Yes

By the way, you use too many emoticons (since we are giving each other feedback) Wink
voiceindarkness
 
  1  
Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2012 10:19 am
@Procrustes,
Procrustes wrote:

Quote:
Quote:
Are you a computer?

No
You sure? Cool You know how the mind works? Wink
Quote:
Quote:
Have you figured yourself out yet?

Yes
Good for you, Very Happy Good luck with that! Smile

Quote:
By the way, you use too many emoticons (since we are giving each other feedback) Wink
Thank you for that, Neutral So you think there should not be emotion expressed during conversation, Confused Are you sure your not a computer? Rolling Eyes
Procrustes
 
  1  
Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2012 10:26 am
@voiceindarkness,
I didn't say that, it was just an observation. And no I'm not a computer. This is the last time I'll be replying to you...
voiceindarkness
 
  1  
Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2012 10:41 am
@Procrustes,
Procrustes wrote:

I didn't say that, it was just an observation. And no I'm not a computer. This is the last time I'll be replying to you...
You observed, I use too many emoticons, Neutral show my emotions as I speak? Confused The mind is a computer. Rolling Eyes Does this compute with you? Cool
0 Replies
 
Cyracuz
 
  1  
Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2012 02:24 pm
@Procrustes,
Quote:
The idea of things in them selves needing no justifications set the tone for arbitrary attempts for reason.


That might be. I rather think it is. It might be just trial and error, with the seasoning of "truth" from the established world of tested truths that work.
Procrustes
 
  1  
Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2012 08:05 pm
@Cyracuz,
But i guess the ultimate test is time itself. Where as the mind can't help itself be 'framed' in this socioeconomic and cultural context, but will it last? I don't know and frankly I don't think about it (and if do I ignore it) so I try to keep my mind open and discern the information as it comes to hand. So trial and error it may be, but it must resonate with your sense of reason for it to be something worth holding on to.
voiceindarkness
 
  1  
Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2012 08:55 pm
@Procrustes,
Procrustes wrote:

But i guess the ultimate test is time itself.
Time is the ultimate ultimatum... Cool

Where as the mind can't help itself be 'framed' in this socioeconomic and cultural context,

We've been framed. Cool

but will it last?
Hell yeah! Smile Forever in the mind. Cool

I don't know and frankly I don't think about it (and if do I ignore it)

What are you thinking about? Cool

so I try to keep my mind open and discern the information as it comes to hand.

SO! You take hand outs. Neutral

So trial and error it may be,

May be? Confused

but it must resonate with your sense of reason for it to be

Or not to be... Cool

something worth holding on to.

And what would that be? Cool


0 Replies
 
bulldogcoma
 
  1  
Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 09:11 pm
@Cyracuz,
Actually, thoughts have been proven to have weight. A very low amount of weight, but weight none the less.
 

Related Topics

How can we be sure? - Discussion by Raishu-tensho
Proof of nonexistence of free will - Discussion by litewave
morals and ethics, how are they different? - Question by existential potential
Destroy My Belief System, Please! - Discussion by Thomas
Star Wars in Philosophy. - Discussion by Logicus
Existence of Everything. - Discussion by Logicus
Is it better to be feared or loved? - Discussion by Black King
 
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 09/26/2022 at 01:10:00