Missing in action: Where is the mind?

Fido

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 07:15 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

O.K., your conception of "thought" is much more restricted than mine. To me it is all conceptualization, precise as well as fuzzy. For you, as I understand you now, thought is formal thought.
But even the most formal mathematical logical efforts would seem occur on conscious and unconscious levels. Was it Poincare who talked about an
'aha !" response, the sudden resolution of a problem fromf less than conscious mental sources?
I have them all the time as I assimilate knowledge new to me, or try to answer questions I never heard asked... It is like reading Nietzsche, or really any good philosopher...If they make a statement about reality I do not grasp, or does not seem true to my understanding of reality, I ask: is this true... If I find the the point troubling it is there some times consciously, and some time not, and I am not thinking about it it any formal fashion, but my brain seems to with or without my attention, and some times it spits out an answer... But even when Insight offers an answer we must prove it through thought, or disprove it through thought... It may seem a small distinction to make, or to you seem incorrect; but running around in circles is not work even though it is work to run around in circles... People often consciously run around in circles in their brains... They may not have a theory, or a problem, and where ever they stop may not be a solution... Minds wander, but thought is a specific action mimiced by the brain as though it were real...The solutions of others that must be proved independently by us demand reason just as goals we wish to achieve that are problems demand reason provide solutions... To think we must have true, or reasonably accurate concepts and forms... If we are working with a lot of garbage forms the thought we produce from them will be worth no more than idle speculation... Every true form is the result of thought, and thought is what we do with forms, and true forms are always conserved... It would be impossible to compare lengths of lines for example, if the definition of line was not conserved...
voiceindarkness

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 07:17 am
@voiceindarkness,
Have you heard of The Dark Shadow? Laughing How bout The Green Hornet? Cool
0 Replies

voiceindarkness

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 07:24 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

JLNobody wrote:

O.K., your conception of "thought" is much more restricted than mine. To me it is all conceptualization, precise as well as fuzzy. For you, as I understand you now, thought is formal thought.
But even the most formal mathematical logical efforts would seem occur on conscious and unconscious levels. Was it Poincare who talked about an
'aha !" response, the sudden resolution of a problem fromf less than conscious mental sources?
I have them all the time as I assimilate knowledge new to me, or try to answer questions I never heard asked... It is like reading Nietzsche, or really any good philosopher...If they make a statement about reality I do not grasp, or does not seem true to my understanding of reality, I ask: is this true... If I find the the point troubling it is there some times consciously, and some time not, and I am not thinking about it it any formal fashion, but my brain seems to with or without my attention, and some times it spits out an answer... But even when Insight offers an answer we must prove it through thought, or disprove it through thought... It may seem a small distinction to make, or to you seem incorrect; but running around in circles is not work even though it is work to run around in circles... People often consciously run around in circles in their brains... They may not have a theory, or a problem, and where ever they stop may not be a solution... Minds wander, but thought is a specific action mimiced by the brain as though it were real...The solutions of others that must be proved independently by us demand reason just as goals we wish to achieve that are problems demand reason provide solutions... To think we must have true, or reasonably accurate concepts and forms... If we are working with a lot of garbage forms the thought we produce from them will be worth no more than idle speculation... Every true form is the result of thought, and thought is what we do with forms, and true forms are always conserved... It would be impossible to compare lengths of lines for example, if the definition of line was not conserved...
Stop the world, Rolling Eyes I want to get off Cool This merry go round of the mind. Laughing
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 07:29 am
@voiceindarkness,
voiceindarkness wrote:

Cyracuz wrote:

If by "thought" you mean "deliberate concentration", then no. But I don't believe that is the only kind of thought. I believe thoughts continue beyond my attention span. They are still in my mind, even though they're not in my mind all the time. I believe everyone, unless they are asleep or meditating or severely relaxed to apathetic boredom, has several trails of thought going on all the time. We are never thinking only just one thought.
Just a thought? Wink Thoughts within thoughts within thoughts, Smile infinite multi-verse of mind. Very Happy The eyes are the windows of the soul. Cool
In a sense... Forms are knowledge, and thought is what we do with knowledge by reason, but these links of logic are already formed and with natural limits... We cannot follow reason back to a first cause because their are too many lost links, and we cannot predict reality far into the future because every effect may have a multiplicity of causes... We may reasonably predict what will happen next, but not then and then and then...The reasoning of Medieval Theologins provide for us a great example... With their logic they so teathered God to truth that he was more their servants than they were his...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 07:31 am
@voiceindarkness,
voiceindarkness wrote:

Procrustes wrote:

This leads me to my next question... How would you know you are hypnotized? Or better yet, would you remember any of those thoughts you had while in that state?
You don't, Wink
How do you know you are being used, brainwashed and manipulate??? In never hurts first and always hurts afterwords...
voiceindarkness

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 08:44 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

voiceindarkness wrote:

Procrustes wrote:

This leads me to my next question... How would you know you are hypnotized? Or better yet, would you remember any of those thoughts you had while in that state?
You don't, Wink
How do you know you are being used, brainwashed and manipulate??? In never hurts first and always hurts afterwords...
You are, Cool It does. Laughing
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 02:46 pm
@Fido,
Quote:
tbought is reasoning, deliberate use of logic to prove a conclusion

Yes, though is that. But that is not all thought is.There are idle thoughts, stupid thoughts, fantastic thoughts, all kinds of thought.
And few of us command our thoughts enough to completely control which thoughts happen when. No matter how focused you are on something, stray thoughts pop into your head in a steady stream. Ignoring them is what concentration is all about.
You can think deliberately on a problem, but you cannot command a solution to pop into your head. You might have to think about it for a while, and then it might come to you like rain from a clear sky when you are occupied with something completely different.
JLNobody

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 03:35 pm
@Cyracuz,
Bingo!
Cyracuz

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 04:19 pm
@JLNobody,
I was hasty in my reply to Fido. Only after posting did I notice that my reply almost echoes yours.
JLNobody

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 04:33 pm
@Cyracuz,
I guess that explains my "Bingo".
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 08:33 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Bingo!
Hardly... If the word: Thought, means everything, then it means nothing...
Procrustes

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 09:30 am
@Cyracuz,
I like to think of our consciousness as a random thought generator. Would this sound like what thoughts do?
JLNobody

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 10:47 am
@Fido,
It means many things but not "everything."
It does seem that consciousness is a thought generator. We can't avoid them while we are conscious. But then we think even when we are unconsious and dreaming.
voiceindarkness

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 02:25 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

It does seem that consciousness is a thought generator. We can't avoid them while we are conscious. But then we think even when we are unconsious and dreaming.
Everything is thought, Cool WE THOUGHT OF EVERYTHING!!! Shocked Sorry. Cool THOUGHT FILLS THE FIRMAMENT. Surprised Your mind inspires your emotions, Confused your emotions inspire your mind? Neutral Can you tell the difference? Cool
voiceindarkness

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 02:46 pm
@voiceindarkness,
I face a paradox,
I know a secret. Wink

But the secret can not be known,
It can only be understood. Neutral

But it can not be understood,
It can only be reveled. Confused

The carnal mind can not perceive,
Matters of the heart. Cool
Cyracuz

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 04:30 pm
@Procrustes,
Thought generator, or perhaps thought receptor. Or perhaps both.
But I wouldn't say random. I don't know if anything is truly random, aside from man made things that are designed to be random, like dice and RNG's.
Cyracuz

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 04:32 pm
@JLNobody,
I've always wondered whether I generate thoughts perceive them.
It's partly about definitions, I guess.
Does my ear capture sound or make it? (That question is perhaps a variation of the old "if a tree falls in the woods...")
voiceindarkness

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 04:47 pm
@voiceindarkness,
I am not a turd in the hot tub, Rolling Eyes
I am a turd in the cesspool of the mind. Laughing

The waters are polluted, Neutral
by all of the crap within. Wink

When the water is clear, Smile
You will ether sink or swim. Very Happy

within the waters within, Cool
Yeah, I'm high again. Cool
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 10:06 pm
@Procrustes,
Procrustes wrote:

I like to think of our consciousness as a random thought generator. Would this sound like what thoughts do?
we live in our emotions. We feel first, and then think. Because one generates the other, is that reason enough to call emotions thought. Fuzzy definitions lead to fuzzy thinking and some of this thinking is in the same evolutionary line as the dust bunny...
Fido

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 10:12 pm
@voiceindarkness,
voiceindarkness wrote:

JLNobody wrote:

Everything is thought, Cool WE THOUGHT OF EVERYTHING!!! Shocked Sorry. Cool THOUGHT FILLS THE FIRMAMENT. Surprised Your mind inspires your emotions, Confused your emotions inspire your mind? Neutral Can you tell the difference? Cool
we can only seriously think about things when we have some conception of them, and the act of conception involves judgement as knowledge, and so, thought.. but what we know is little beside the vastness of ignorance, and all we are ignoraant of is beyond conception and thought
0 Replies