TERM LIMITS: SHUD WE SHOOT OURSELVES IN THE FOOT?

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 08:46 am

I support my right to vote for a politician in as many elections as I want (if he is willing to run).
Too many folks think that it is clever to disempower the electorate
from electing someone more than a designated number of times.

We (the voters) don 't get stronger by getting WEAKER,
by relinquishing our right to vote for a politician as many times
as we want to (not in the same election). America is a democratic Republic.

The idea is that the voters r supposed to control the government
by intimidating the politicians into doing what we TELL them to do,
on pain of getting fired at the next election.

That scheme cannot work, if a politician is in the last term of office
from which he is disabled from running for re-election by term limits,
because he is fired from that job NO MATTER WHAT he does.

In that situation, he has no impetus, no incentive to do what we tell
him to do. He will do with his vote as he damn well pleases
and we, the citizens r fully ousted from any control.

We shoud not bring this on ourselves.
Term limits r dum & stupid. (not as stupid as gun control, but almost)

David
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,092 • Replies: 22

dyslexia

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 08:48 am
@OmSigDAVID,
yes david, I totally agree.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 08:52 am
@OmSigDAVID,
does your belief apply to the president as well
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 08:55 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
does your belief apply to the president as well
I choose to leave that alone, for now, anyway.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 08:57 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Can you please pick one way to spell and stick with it? This flip-flopping is giving me a headache.

Shud "foot" not be spelled "fut"?
djjd62

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 09:03 am
@OmSigDAVID,
see i agree with you, but i'd go all out, president for as long as you can be elected

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 09:04 am
I consider the argument based on being "fired" to be hopelessly naive. First, because a politician's loyalties are to he or she who signs the check; second, because politicians know the public memory is very, very short.

The best argument against term limits is that so much in a legislative body is determined by seniority. If the congressmen of one state are subject to term limits, and those of another are not, the state which has term limits has assured that their congressmen simply won't be eligible for positions of influence. The whole term limit flap was a product of the resurgence of the Republicans in the early 1990s, and part of the alleged contract with America when the Republicans took control of the House in 1994 was for term limits. The Supremes said you can't do that, and the Republicans said they'd fix that with a constitutional amendment--and then did sweet f*ck-all about it. Lies and hypocrisy from politicans ? ! ? ! ? Who would have thought ? ! ? ! ?

Term limits have only successfully been imposed (apart from the amendment that limited presidential terms) within states, and has often been successfully challenged and overturned in state courts.

Aside from a typical, irrelevant and brainless fling about gun control, David (as usual) has nothing to say here.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 09:25 am
@OmSigDAVID,
If the natural tendency of a politician is to do what is "right" for his constituency, then term limits would not be good.

But if the natural tendency of a politician is simply to get re-elected by whatever means possible, then they would find themselves beholden to special interest groups who fund their campaigns through covert mechanisms.

The natural selection process that occurs in politics favors those politicians who's primary goal is to get re-elected, resulting in the government the US currently has, whereby most politicians are beholden to their source of campaign funding.

I have no proposed solution to the problem. Term limits are a double-edged sword. So long as political success is driven by effective marketing (money), which seems inevitable in our media driven society, the problem will remain.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 09:37 am
This just in:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=122805666

Does this mean that Bill Gates (or any large corporation) could direct a large portion of his MicroSoft fortune to paying for media ads for his favorite candidate?
rabel22

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 09:56 am
@rosborne979,
Yes. It means that the rich are firmly in control of our government and the supreme court has once again confirmed that my one vote dosent mean **** against the billions of votes big business can use against the public good for the benefit of thier bottom line. Their should be some way to impeach those stupid money grubbing jerks on the court!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 10:05 am
@rabel22,
rabel22 wrote:

Yes. It means that the rich are firmly in control of our government and the supreme court has once again confirmed that my one vote dosent mean **** against the billions of votes big business can use against the public good for the benefit of thier bottom line. Their should be some way to impeach those stupid money grubbing jerks on the court!
!?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 10:08 am
HOORAAAAAY!!!!!

FREE SPEECH and the rights of the INDIVIDUAL triumph!!!

First the 2nd Amendment wins,
and now the 1st Amendment wins!!!

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 10:10 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

This just in:

Does this mean that Bill Gates (or any large corporation) could direct
a large portion of his MicroSoft fortune to paying for media ads for his favorite candidate?

YES!
rosborne979

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 03:52 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

FREE SPEECH and the rights of the INDIVIDUAL triumph!!!

Corporations and groups are not individuals. How does this help individuals?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 03:56 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

rosborne979 wrote:

This just in:

Does this mean that Bill Gates (or any large corporation) could direct
a large portion of his MicroSoft fortune to paying for media ads for his favorite candidate?

YES!

Why is that good? Doesn't it imply that people and corporations and groups with lots of dollars will have an inequitable effect on elections?

What if a corporation with a thousand employees decides to spend corporate dollars on a particular candidate which only 500 of its employees approve? Should those 500 people quit? Should every company hold internal elections to see which candidate their employees want to fund?
roger

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 04:00 pm
@rosborne979,
Well, we used to have a Senator referred to as The Senator from Anaconda, didn't we?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 04:05 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I agree with you completely, David. I'd take it further, though, and remove the limits on presidential re-election. Our great wartime president, Franklin D. Roosevelt, showed how reassuring it can be to have the right man at the helm for an unlimited number of four-year terms.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 04:17 pm
I think all congress people should be required to wear logo's on their suits (like Nascar drivers) that show who their major sponsor are.
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 04:24 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

I think all congress people should be required to wear logo's on their suits (like Nascar drivers) that show who their major sponsor are.

Hey, now, there's an idea whose time has come! Love it!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 02:27 am
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:
I agree with you completely, David. I'd take it further, though, and remove the limits on presidential re-election. Our great wartime president, Franklin D. Roosevelt, showed how reassuring it can be to have the right man at the helm for an unlimited number of four-year terms.
Maybe. For a long time, I approved of the 22nd Amendment, but now, I 'm not so sure. U might be right.

16 years of W