america is doomed

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 01:22 am
@edgarblythe,
Dys isn't allowed to become disenchanted, edgar. He lives in Nuevo Mejico which claims to be the "land of enchantment," Says so right on their license plates.
msolga

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 01:28 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I became disenchanted in the 60s and never found reason to become re-enchanted.

At what point, in response to what event/s, did you become disenchanted, edgar (Vietnam?)?

... & what would it take for you to become "enchanted" again? (Hard question, I know.)
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 01:40 am
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

Dys isn't allowed to become disenchanted, edgar. He lives in Nuevo Mejico which claims to be the "land of enchantment," Says so right on their license plates.

Well, he's dysenchanted, of course.
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 01:43 am
@Eva,
Eva wrote:

Merry Andrew wrote:

Well, he's dysenchanted, of course.

Of course! Silly me.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 02:50 am
America like every other nation is more than its government. We're more than who our elected officials are. It's when we let the USA just be a handful of arguing people, that we sell ourselves short.

It's easy to get caught in a cynical loop that frames us like we can't seem to get anything right, but we do.

I was never enchanted, but that doesn't mean I don't hold reverence for this big imperfect place.

This election will be whatever we say it is. We should perhaps care less about how 535 people in congress will react, and think more about how we react.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 04:32 am
Chew on this assholes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeIxHQ-lkuM
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 05:40 am
My personal disenchantment began when I saw the Peace Movement fall apart. During the last years of protest, the Veterans Against the War carried the burden while the rest claimed to suddenly be ecologists.

Also because the government has allowed big money interests to take over in most aspects of our lives. Everything is geared to obscene profit for the top echelons, while the public goes begging - manipulated into going along with less infrastructure, less public works - we can spend trillions on the war machine and foreign adventures at the drop of a hat, but states are going broke and we are told we can no longer afford Social Security and the like -

Health care has become an obscene opera. Insurance companies want to deny help when it would get into their pocket. We go to the doctors to buy symptom relievers instead of cures. I know there are some great advances in some areas of health care. But most doctors I and my family have seen are not trained to know all that much.

There is more, but I know I will get shot down for what I've already written here. Peace and out - edgarblythe.

Amigo

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 05:49 am
We will make new hospitals. We will take care of eachother. It is not a fullproof plan and it never was.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 06:29 am
@edgarblythe,
Edgar, I'm sorry if my question to you put you on the spot, caused you discomfort. Thank you very much for your response.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 10:14 am
@edgarblythe,

a lot of people on this site havent beenalive to understand what your saying, but I do.
djjd62

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 10:22 am
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 10:36 am
Life is a struggle that none of us ever fully understands. However, despite that it offers endless potential for discovery, enchantment, love and joy. Only fools look for external human systems to rationalize all the many contradictions out there.

The superannuated survivors of the protest movements of decades past and who continue to live amidst those fantasies do so by choice, and, in my view, are generally losers for it.

We in this country live under circumstances, both physical and political, that are far superior to what is available to the majority of human beings in this world. This doesn't mean things can't be made better or that we shouldn't try to do so. However it does mean that all this fatalistic moaning about evil conspiracies, etc. is the hallmark of the Miniuver Cheevys of this world.

Miniver Cheevy, child of scorn,
Grew lean while he assailed the seasons;
He wept that he was ever born,
And he had reasons.

Miniver loved the days of old
When swords were bright and steeds were prancing;
The vision of a warrior bold
Would set him dancing.

Miniver sighed for what was not,
And dreamed, and rested from his labors;
He dreamed of Thebes and Camelot,
And Priam's neighbors.

Minever mourned the ripe renown
That made so many a name so fragrant;
He mourned Romance, now on the town,
And Art, a vagrant.

Minever loved the Medici,
Albeit he had never seen one;
He would have sinned incessantly
Could he have been one.

Miniver cursed the commonplace
And eyed a khaki suit with loathing;
He missed the mediƦval grace
Of iron clothing.

Miniver scorned the gold he sought,
But sore annoyed was he without it;
Miniver thought, and thought, and thought,
And thought about it.

Miniver Cheevy, born too late,
Scratched his head and kept on thinking;
Miniver coughed, and called it fate,
And kept on drinking.

E.A. Robinson

djjd62

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 10:43 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
The superannuated survivors of the protest movements of decades past and who continue to live amidst those fantasies do so by choice, and, in my view, are generally losers for it.

damn straight, **** those peaceniks (insert sarcastic smiley here)
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 12:13 pm
@rabel22,
Sorry. I meant to say alive long enough to understand what your saying.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 12:25 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Yes I suppose to many I remain a loser however, my protests within Congress of Racial Equality for voter rights and my work for the Migrant Council for health and education rights for the Braceros program I personally regard as a step forward for the human condition.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 12:30 pm
@georgeob1,
Says Miniver Cheevy of the evil conspiracy of global warming.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 02:19 pm
When we hearken nostalgically to the Peace Movement of the 60s and partial 70s, we do not wish to apply the past to the present, but we do wish the movement had survived to evolve.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 02:52 pm
extremely well put edgar
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 12:26 pm
There is the question of what the USSR (and for that matter China) would have done to the free world without post WWII US interventionism vis-a-vis not only the massively expensive cold war, but the number of small (by cost comparison) hot wars such as Korea and Vietnam.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 02:04 pm
@NickFun,
Brown voted for MA universal health care, but is against it for the entire country. I wonder why.
0 Replies