Acupuncture?

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 06:20 pm
Lady Diane has had a nasty back pain for several weeks, went to the MD last weel to no avail, she has a appointment with an acupuncturist this coming monday. I am, of course, a cynic. anyone with any experiences to share?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 18 • Views: 2,543 • Replies: 42
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 06:26 pm
@dyslexia,
is she getting nipple rings???

(they hurt a lot)
dyslexia

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 06:27 pm
@Rockhead,
not that she's mentioned.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 06:27 pm
@dyslexia,
My mom had it ... said it mde a massive difference.

<personally couldn't do the needle thing>

worked for her tho...

Wishing your Lady the best Dys...
xx
Izzie

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 06:30 pm
@Rockhead,
could be worse Shocked

(eeeeeeeeeuw)

'tis worth a shot if all else fails Dys, best of luck - let us know how she goes.

You doing k? x
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 06:33 pm
@Izzie,
your mum has nipple rings? Shocked

whodathunkit...
littlek

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 06:35 pm
I certainly think it is worth a try! Could back pain have been related to the high levels of calcium she had in her blood?

I tend to prefer chiropractics over acupuncture.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 06:40 pm
@Rockhead,
Ha... I.think.not

(oh, doesn't bear thinking about)

KBro (FQhub) has one - he loves it Razz
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 06:41 pm
@dyslexia,
You know me, I'd say see an orthopedist as a rule out for anything structural; I personally might - or might not - be more likely to go to a good chiropractor than try acupuncture, but I don't rule it out as I used to have a rheumatology colleague who was very interested in acupuncture, as I told Diane. This is all personal experience based - I've been helped by a simple visit to an orthopedist in the past, and I was helped by an md who knew chiropractic methods once.

One of the reasons, though, that I would go to an orthopod first is totally personal - as many of these kind of recommendations are. When I was nine and we lived with my aunt for a couple of months one spring in the fifties, a neighbor came over and raved about manipulating the neck, getting rid of all those nasty whachamacallits. She kneaded my neck (who asked?) and it hurt for at what seemed a week later. Forty years later, cousin's husband started kneading my neck and I nearly belted him, and not for sexual harassment. No one I don't trust to do it gets to mess with my neck, which I know to have some degenerative changes.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 06:44 pm
@ossobuco,
I did read, no link folks, some article in the health section of google news, oh, maybe a year ago, about how some medical facility did a study and found that using some pointy things like toothpicks, but I think they were not toothpicks, at the acupressure points worked equally as well as actually sticking in needles - which is to say that (they) said it worked.
littlek

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 07:00 pm
@ossobuco,
Having had massage, acupuncture and chiropractics in the past, I have no interest in acupuncture. I think a good massage does as well as the needles for tight muscles and even some smaller bone adjustments. I think cracking bones is good for more serious realignment. They are supposed to best in combination with each other.

Also agree with Osso about the osteopath especially if you don't know a good alt med practitioner.

What matters most is Diane getting her back better one way or another.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 07:08 pm
It's not a cure, but I know people who use acupuncture as pain management for back problems. My husband's sciatica was mostly helped by going to a massage therapist.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 07:10 pm
@ossobuco,
Adds, anatomy varies. And who knows now what level of bone sturdiness Diane has now. This may just be personal qualms, but I'd be careful who is putting what into where, or whacking a pained area around - where is all Diane's blood calcium coming from? (I think I change my mind re chiropractor).

I'd be interested what the new doc said about the calcium, the whys and wherefores. I'd be interested in what the new doctor said to do re the pain. But really, this is Diane's situation you are inquiring about, and perhaps she doesn't want all of us commenting on it.

We don't know enough, besides it not being our business.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 07:14 pm
@dyslexia,
I find it helpful.

If I were her I'd give it maybe three goes.

If there's no clear effect, off with its head.

It sure isn't going to do any harm.
dyslexia

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 07:18 pm
@dlowan,
yeah, pretty much what I was thinking.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 08:44 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

I find it helpful.

If I were her I'd give it maybe three goes.

If there's no clear effect, off with its head.

It sure isn't going to do any harm.

I'll go for that. I know people who have been helped by both acupuncturists and chiropractors. I don't know of any one who has been harmed by acupunture.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 08:53 pm
@dyslexia,
Quote:
I am, of course, a cynic. anyone with any experiences to share?

I hear it's not as painful as tofu.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 09:09 pm
It's helped my husband tremendously.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 09:13 pm
I believe it's worth a try.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 09:54 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
I don't know of any one who has been harmed by acupunture.

that's the big one right here for me.

I've handled files where chiros have done damage, massage has caused additional pain. Acupuncture might not have helped in all cases I've been involved in, but no one's ever reported being worse off as a result.

mrs. hamburger had very good results from acupuncture, massage and physiotherapy in her pain management programs over the years.
0 Replies