It and fare

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 08:42 am
It = ? (See the largest size font below)
Fare = ?

Context:

This could explain why interest has come into its own in the modern world. It can be seen as a counterbalance to the fear and anxiety that surrounds unfamiliar experiences. Without interest we would shy away from new or complicated things because they tend to make us nervous. "This makes sense if we think in terms of evolutionary history, as unfamiliar situations could often be dangerous," says Silvia. "But in the modern world, it would be disastrous because we couldn't flourish intellectually."

Another strong argument for interest deserving a status boost is that it can go wrong. One criterion that some psychologists use to define a basic emotion is that it should have associated aberrations or pathologies. Excessive fear, for example, generates panic or chronic anxiety. Likewise, too much interest results in repetitive, consuming and compulsive behaviour.

So how does interest fare in the emotions league? As naturally curious creatures, we experience it daily and devote a lot of time and brainpower to things that interest us. That alone could make it a major emotional player. But the real power of interest, according to Silvia, lies in its ability to keep us engaged in our frenetic lives rather than becoming overwhelmed by information overload. That's also a reason for trying to understand what stimulates interest. "We have to find ways of helping people learn, to keep them from becoming anxious and tuning out in the face of this monstrous amount of information," he says.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 825 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 08:50 am
IT refers to 'interest' but I do not understand what the writer means by 'interest' in this context. I believe it must be a mis-translation for something, perhaps 'curiosity'?

Let me read it again.

Fare = do. How does _______ do in comparison......
How does _______ stack up.

Joe()Nation

0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 08:53 am
I read it again. I still don't know.
I'm sure others here will help figure 'interest' out.

Joe(i'm curious to know what they think.)Nation
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 09:04 am
I believe "it" refers to the behavior of shying away from things that are new.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 10:00 am
Without interest we would shy away from new or complicated things because they tend to make us nervous. "This makes sense if we think in terms of evolutionary history, as unfamiliar situations could often be dangerous," says Silvia. "But in the modern world, it would be disastrous because we couldn't flourish intellectually."
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 10:08 am
So how does interest fare in the emotions league?

How does interest compare with other emotions?

How did John fare in the 100 metres race?

In what position did John finish the 100 metre race?

fare (v)

1. To get along: How are you faring with your project?
2. To go or happen: How does it fare with you?
3. To travel; go.
4. To dine; eat.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 07:34 pm
Got it.
Thank you all.
Especially thanks to Contrex
0 Replies