Are there any A2K'ers whom have NOT seen Avatar?

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 11:25 pm
If not, why have you not?

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 11:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
I haven't seen it ...
I have no interest in seeing it.
Fiscal troubles galore. Plus there are too many great movies in the theater I need to catch up on:
The Road; The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus; Up in the Air; A Serious Man; and Fantastic Mr. Fox.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 11:53 pm
Up in the Air is a sweet little movie. The ladies are wonderful, George walks his way through the entire film. Bring a date.
=
The Road is as depressing as the book, maybe more so if that is possible. Do not bring a date.
=
Skip both of them and see Avatar on the biggest screen in the city. (Lincoln Square or the one on 42nd Street.... can't remember.)

Joe(When I take Thomas out for his birthday drink, do you want to join us?)Nation
Rockhead

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 12:00 am
@Joe Nation,
"When I take Thomas out for his birthday drink, do you want to join us?"

(holds up hand)

how much is cab fare from Kansas?

and I don't do movies.
DrewDad

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 12:02 am
@hawkeye10,
Whom asks?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 12:28 am
@hawkeye10,
Haven't seen it yet. Why? The opportunity just hasn't cropped up. I don't plan either my day or my week around the movies. Plan to see it at some point when it seems like a good way to spend an evening.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 12:28 am
Rockhead, the invitation is being sent to you via a crow flying as the crow flies right now.
Cab fare from Kansas City or from somewhere out in East Jesus near the Colorado border?
When you get here, just start calling my name.
Joe(everybody knows me, I owe everbody money.)Nation
Rockhead

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 12:32 am
@Joe Nation,
south-central jesus, outside of witchestitty.

R(mebbe i'll just ask for thomas then...)H
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 12:39 am
@Rockhead,
Okay stop hyjacking this thread.

Joe(Cab fare is $4322.00 not including tips and snacks. $50.00 extra for having to go up that rutted farm road to pick you up.)Nation
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 12:41 am
@Rockhead,
Pay me $1000 Rockhead then I'll rent a car, drive down to Kansas then drive you to New York City. Wink

I'll join you Joe and Thomas for a drink if I can.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 03:02 am
I haven't seen it; I won't be seeing it in the cinema. I was born with one eye badly damaged by retrolental fibroplasia. I have monocular vision; 3D pictures and movies are, and always have been, completely wasted on me.
aidan

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 03:06 am
@contrex,
I haven't seen it because it's not my cup of tea- I generally don't like science fiction as subject matter and am not really interested in special effects.

Having said that, when my son brings a movie home that entails all of that and I have nothing else to do, I'll watch it and at times, when there's been an interesting story line or characters, I've surprised myself by liking it.

Does Avatar have a good story to tell?
aidan

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 03:08 am
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
The Road is as depressing as the book, maybe more so if that is possible. Do not bring a date.

But is it good? I've read that the book and the movie are superbly done and moving, thought provoking, etc. etc. I was really looking forward to this - is it good- as in worth seeing?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 03:13 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Does Avatar have a good story to tell?

http://able2know.org/topic/140017-1
Critics are pretty unanimous about the story being the weakest part of the film.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 03:59 am
@hawkeye10,
I haven't seen it. Why? I just prefer to stay home.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 04:00 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
If not, why have you not?
I 'm not into cartoons.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 04:45 am
Haven't seen it yet. Might have a look on one of my days off this week.
farmerman

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 05:04 am
@Wilso,
The nearest movie theater is over 35 miles away and the nearest Imax is over 60 miles in a city called Reading PA ( a real dump), so, for us to actually go to a movie is a major day out. I too heard that the plot of Avatar is kinda lame but one MUST see it to see what can be done with movie science.

0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 05:41 am
The two best movies I've seen recently have been two films with absolutely zero special effects which could have been made with a camcorder, i.e. Gran Tourino and Slumdog Millionaire. Hollywood must really hate that.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 07:58 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

The two best movies I've seen recently have been two films with absolutely zero special effects which could have been made with a camcorder, i.e. Gran Tourino and Slumdog Millionaire. Hollywood must really hate that.
I 'd ask u what was particularly good about them,
but I don 't wanna drag the thread off topic.

Maybe u 'll start a thread to tell us the reasons
that u found them to be remarkable ?
0 Replies