Are there any A2K'ers whom have NOT seen Avatar?

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 08:24 am
I may see it before I die (I sure can't avoid hearing about it). I enjoy movies but never rush out to see something. Watching a lot more DVD's these days since canceling cable TV (Gran Torino here too!)
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 08:30 am
Aidan

The story in Avatar comes right out of the Sci/Fi Comic Books. Good, but flawed, good people against bad, but with a hint of redeemabilty, bad people ---stretched over a fantastic world. (I love that we are perfectly willing to accept that you could fall a couple of hundred feet, bouncing off huge plant leaves and branches, and survive completely unscathed. Yea!)

The women (both Navi and human) are really strong characters acting jointly with their male counterparts. That's something that hasn't been talked about too much and something I really liked.
Having said that, the rest of the movie, though a visual feast, is a shoot-em-up, something I am not drawn to - I had to be dragged to see "Saving Private Ryan" - and it's a shoot-em-up you've seen before, just not in 3-D. (Vastly outnumbered group somehow defeats adversaries. Calvary to the rescue scene included.)

But see it. And see it in 3-D. It's the future. meh.
===
If you have read "The Road" that's probably enough. Not that the movie isn't true to the novel, it is. I read the book in bits and pieces, twenty pages on the train, ten pages waiting in line at the Post Office. At the theater you are going to travel the Road from end to end in one long, deary, heartbreaking, horrifying, slog. Luckily, I saw it during the daytime. If I had come out of the theater into a darkened world, I think I would have been too saddened to do anything but lay down and wait for the trash men to drag me off in the middle of the night.
==
Joe(I hope I have been clear)Nation
djjd62

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 08:44 am
i'll probably see it when the dvd come out

don't really care about 3d to be honest, or the proliferation of insane cgi, let's not forget, lucas did more with models and blue screen in the original star wars, as opposed to the travesty of the sequels (prequels)

i guess i should see one of cameron's two big block busters (dr. ludivico is gonna have to hook me up to his machine before i see titanic)

love the earliest of works that cameron was involved with the terminator and aliens

after that i've not seen a cameron movie all the way through or not at all
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 09:00 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Aidan

The story in Avatar comes right out of the Sci/Fi Comic Books. Good, but flawed, good people against bad, but with a hint of redeemabilty, bad people ---stretched over a fantastic world. (I love that we are perfectly willing to accept that you could fall a couple of hundred feet, bouncing off huge plant leaves and branches, and survive completely unscathed. Yea!)
That might have something to do with the applicable gravity.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 09:27 am
We recently got blu-ray, and I ordered a number of films from Blockbuster that were noted for their special effects. O.K., I satisfied myself that my blu-ray works. From now on, I have no desire to see any more of what I consider kiddie movies.

It is interesting about sci-fi, which Mr. P. loves. To me about 5% of the ones that I have seen were exceptional, and, IMO, the rest were junk. (I saw 2001 in blu-ray, and it was wonderful)
djjd62

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 09:31 am
@Phoenix32890,
some of the best sci-fi (some would argue about my terminology) i've seen were short on special effects, Gattaca, Code 46, Children of Men
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 09:32 am
I'll watch it at some point. I really enjoy animation/special effects. I don't need a plotline (how else can you explain my love of Pirates of the Caribbean? oh yeah ... Johhhhhhhhhnny <swoon>)

No rush to see it - it'll still be there in a year or decade or something
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 09:39 am
@hawkeye10,
'fraid not. I'm like tsarstepan, it's mostly financial.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 09:39 am
I've got an invitation, so I'll go see it tomorrow...

Looks really enticing..
Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 11:35 am
@aidan,
Quote:
Does Avatar have a good story to tell?

I'm not sure that Avatar has any story to tell. All you hear about is the stupendous special effects. For me, at least, that's a very weak reson to go spend money on a movie. But I'll prob'ly go see it at some point just so I can join all these conversations, on line and off.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 11:48 am
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

I've got an invitation, so I'll go see it tomorrow...

Looks really enticing..

The movie or the invitation? Wink
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 11:59 am
I am not really interested in these type of movies. Actually, I don't like to go
at all - I'll wait until I can see them at home, way more comfortable!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 12:11 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:
I am not really interested in these type of movies. Actually, I don't like to go
at all - I'll wait until I can see them at home, way more comfortable!
I have a better sound system at home than thay do in the movies

David
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 02:10 pm
@Tai Chi,
Going with family can be enticing but I was talking about the movie..
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 02:24 pm
@hawkeye10,
Blew through with captions very briefly, hasn't shown up again yet. It sounds diverting -- I think I'd like it -- but I'm not raring to see it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 02:30 pm
I'm not a Cameron fan but I'd be interested in eventually seeing the movie for reasons besides the story effort - all the visual inventiveness during the movie length. I can survive without seeing it in a theater though.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 02:51 pm
@Tai Chi,
Tai Chi wrote:
Watching a lot more DVD's these days since canceling cable TV (Gran Torino here too!)

I've thought of that from time to time, but wouldn't a person probably end up spending more money per month?

I usually get a new release DVD from Rogers for $4.99. Don't make a habit though, due to my over-priced basic cable from Shaw.
Tai Chi

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 03:29 pm
@Reyn,
Well, by more I guess I mean one or two a week and we buy them CHEAP. And I got a stack of great DVD's for Christmas. Plus we still get 2 channels with the rabbit ears so there's always CBC and the "A" channel. (I won't repeat what my better half says the "A" stands for...)

Sorry for the digression!
mismi

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 03:44 pm
@Tai Chi,
I haven't seen it...it looks interesting - but the reason we haven't seen it is we have 3 little boys who want to see things like The Fantastic Mr. Fox and Chipmunks the Squeaquel. We generally try to see something with them. I have heard that Avatar is not worth seeing if you don't see it in the theatre...and yes, the bigger the screen the better.

I can only imagine what the better half says the "A" stands for! Wink

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 03:54 pm
@mismi,
Quote:
little boys who want to see things like The Fantastic Mr. Fox

A desire to see a Wes Anderson film? You have 3 budding film buffs! You must be a proud mom!
0 Replies