If You Could Live In Another Country, Which Would You Choose?

Heeven

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 03:22 pm
@Rockhead,
Hi Rockhead! I haven't been on A2K for quite some time. Got v busy at work (I used to post during working hours before - bad me!) and life has been very busy too. I didn't feel like working this afternoon so I thought I'd pop in to A2K and see what old friends were still around!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 03:24 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

... or the Northeast USA where I've spent a goodly part of my life.

Well... if you ever have the hankering to comeback ... we'll leave a light on for ya! http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/la/062608_porchlight.jpg
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 03:28 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Oh no, I am a conscientious worker, I couldn't do the beach bum thing. I would get a job and earn a living (but just not the long hours I do now). It's the cultural attitudes I'm really referring to. I want to be able to enjoy my time off and see the islands, do and see some things that I wouldn't ordinarily do. I know that after a couple of years I would have to leave because I couldn't afford to live in Hawaii too long. Cost of living and being so far from family ... Plus I know HI has its limitations and I would miss some things that I take for granted. I used to live in Ireland so I could handle the smallness of Hawaii for a time but I have gotten used to the spaciousness of mainland and would miss that.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 03:50 pm
I intend, after a bit of traveling, to settle in Berlin, Germany.
I did German at school... and got a load of tapes and books for christmas.

I live in London now, which I love, but Berlin appeals to me more because it's more serious and less tacky. Plus, every German person I've ever met has been really switched on and hardworking and excited about the world in the same way I am.
Plus the clubs are amazing and German men are hot, in my experience.

I don't really give a **** about Australia, there's no culture. I'd like to live in the middle east for a little while, and America, South America and India.
Thomas

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 06:24 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
If you could live in another country, which one would you choose?

I'm living in another country already.

tsarstepan wrote:
What conditions would you need fulfilled in order to live content life?

Good food, good friends, and interesting projects to keep me busy -- in no particular order.

tsarstepan wrote:
Would foreign languages be an obstacle or an advantage?

Depends on the foreign language. My English is not an obstacle to me, though it might be for the natives I talk to. French is harder; I haven't practiced it in 15 years; but I would probably get the hang of it in 2-3 months. I'm curious to learn Spanish. Not sure about any of the other languages.

tsarstepan wrote:
What aspects of life would be a draw or a setback in figuring in your choice?

Existential poverty -- the kind that kills your neighbors through some trivial-to-heal disease when they're 40, makes them scavenge for food on dumpsters, and leaves them helpless against any of the bullies who come along and take advantage of them. For example, I would find it fascinating to live in India for a while. But I probably won't, because I'm too apprehensive of the poverty.
Thomas

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 06:29 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
The Pentacle Queen wrote:
German men are hot, in my experience.

Thanks! We're trying.
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 07:21 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

German men are hot, in my experience.

Thanks! We're trying.

Yes, sometimes you're very trying. Laughing
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 08:08 pm
I took three trips to Costa Rica. I liked it very much and seriously considered it as a retirement place (I speak Spanish).

I also like Canada very much. ( I've been to the Maritimes several times and to Montreal). Vancouver sounds enticing but I'd probably veto it for the same reason I didn't go to Costa Rica -- ie. too far from my kids in NYC and Rhode Island.

I have heard a lot of good things about Toronto (which wouldn't be too far from the kids) but have never been there.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 08:26 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:
If you could live in another country, which one would you choose?

I'm living in another country already.

I guess that disqualifies you from this discussion. Razz If you want to further participate in said discussion, you will need to move back to Germany then longingly reply to any further posts. Wink
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 08:55 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
No culture in Australia? just another piece of earth?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 09:06 pm
Most of us know I'd live in italy part time if I could; when there was a wee possibility of that, I decided no since I needed to be able to afford going back and forth to the US, which is my home. I'm no writer about being a stranger in Toscana (rolls eyes).. I just like places, and italy attracts me.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 07:11 am
@ossobuco,
Urm, yes?
djjd62

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 07:27 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
ossobuco wrote:

No culture in Australia? just another piece of earth?

Urm, yes?

and yet i find aboriginal cultures fascinating, and australia has a rich aboriginal culture

there's more to culture than mozart and yogurt
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 07:41 am
@djjd62,
Haha, i knew I'd get it in the neck for saying that.

I do find aboriginal culture really interesting... and actually I would like to see examples of it.
But, from what I understand, the cities aren't orientated towards art in the same way all the cities I like are...
And there might be more to culture than Mozart, but everyone knows the Sydney opera house just puts on ****.
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 07:42 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
Actually, **** it, Mozart and crew take up a good 50% of culture in my eyes.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 11:27 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

there's more to culture than mozart and yogurt

What about Mozart branded yogurt?
Quote:
An enterprising local dairy has developed a new Mozart yogurt and a Mozart dessert drink - flavoured with chocolate, hazelnut and marzipan.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4570012.stm
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 11:33 am
@tsarstepan,
Well there we go, the pinnacle of western culture.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 11:37 am
Ireland
hamburgboy

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 12:19 pm
@tsarstepan,
how about a mozart SALAMI , HAM ... ?

http://imgs.tootoo.com/62/97/62973fb2f1319e5b485bc5ee9a26417a.jpg
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 12:21 pm
@Setanta,
I wouldn't mind Ireland either. Dublin might work.
0 Replies