OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 10:35 am
@BillRM,
David wrote:
If it were possible,
I 'd love to go back and defend the Library of Alexandria from arson
BillRM wrote:
Sorry but that library and it books collection was harm any numbers of times
over it history not in just one event that could had been stop.
So, according to Bill, it was NOT burned?
or if it WAS: that did not matter much.
Thank u for that information. Maybe its still there.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 10:46 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Thank for now that we had switched to personal attacks
there is no question that I had won once more.
There was never anything to win, you Idiot. Bill, YOU are a borderline case for Ignore.

It is IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to be right or rong, u mental cripple,
because the thread asks what people woud change if it were POSSIBLE.

Are u able to understand that ??
djjd62

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 11:01 am
@OmSigDAVID,
when i first interacted with you david i put you pretty much in the black and white category (something either is or isn't, no deviation), i've since changed my opinion and compared to bill you're an absolute rainbow

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 11:44 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
when i first interacted with you david i put you pretty much in the black and white category
(something either is or isn't, no deviation),
i've since changed my opinion and compared to bill you're an absolute rainbow
Is there something in particular that drew u to that conclusion?

Qua each color or shade of that rainbow,
something either is or is not within that color or shade.

David
djjd62

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 11:52 am
@OmSigDAVID,
you just seem very single minded, and in my view (at first any way) not very open minded, i've since changed that opinion

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 12:07 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
you just seem very single minded, and in my view (at first any way)
not very open minded, i've since changed that opinion
I try to be open minded, following anyone 's reasoning and examining the evidence.
I have been willing to listen to the reasoning of commies and nazis,
tho I am a laissez faire libertarian Individualist hedonist.

If someone tells me that 3 + 3 = 7, I may be skeptical,
but I 'll listen to his reasoning.

David
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 02:34 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
So, according to Bill, it was NOT burned?
or if it WAS: that did not matter much.
Thank u for that information. Maybe its still there.

<<LOL> There in fact was more then one fire in the history of the library the first one, if memory serve me correctly, was when Roman forces was taking the city and fires set in order to destroy enemies ships got out of hand and greatly damage the library and it books.

By the time of the last looting and burning of the library is was already a ghost of it former self.

History is never that simple my friend.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 02:40 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I'd have myself invest the 4 thousand dollars I have saved up in my savings account in mid 1980's Microsoft and IBM.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 02:44 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Here is a brief comment from Wikipedia on the library history David and as I said it is never all that simple.

I would suggest you read a few books instead of getting your knowledge from watching old movies<LOL>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_of_Alexandria

However, this version of events is not confirmed in contemporary accounts of Caesar's visit. In fact, it has been reasonably established that segments of its collection were partially destroyed on several occasions before and after the first century BC. A modern myth (no older than the late eighteenth century) attributes the destruction to Coptic Christian Archbishop Theophilus of Alexandria in 391, who called for the destruction of the Serapeum; but in fact there was no connection between the library and the Serapeum and some historians of late antiquity do not take the claim seriously. Another version of the story, not recorded till the thirteenth century, blames the Muslim sacking of Alexandria in 642.[1][citation needed]

Intended both as a commemoration and an emulation of the original, the Bibliotheca Alexandrina was inaugurated in 2002 near the site of the old library.[2]

Contents [hide]
1 The Library of Alexandria as a research institution
2 Collection
3 Destruction of the Library
3.1 Caesar's conquest in 48 BC
3.2 Attack of Aurelian, third century
3.3 Decree of Theodosius, destruction by Theophilus in 391
3.4 Amr ibn al 'Aas conquest in 642
4 See also
5 Notes
6 References
7 External links

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 03:54 pm
@BillRM,
Bill, because I like u so much,
I 'm gonna try this even a 3rd time!

THIS is the thread of what people woud change if thay coud travel
back in time to DO it.

This is not the history of libraries thread.
(U can begin that thread if u wanna.)

I identified the fact that if I were able to,
then I woud prevent the fire at the Library of Alexandria. (Just go back with some guys n guns n stop the mob.)

U find me all the history of how much damage and vandalism
has been inflicted on the Library of Alexandria SINCE it was burned down c.391.
farmerman

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 03:59 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
whew, I thought I had an overdue book.

Heres another one. How about two fifty calibre machine guns at the Battle of Brandywine? (We coulda got rid of them pesky Brits without any help from De Grasse and his sailboats.
BillRM

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 04:16 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
then I woud prevent the fire at the Library of Alexandria. (Just go back with some guys n guns n stop the mob.)

You can not be that dumb!!!!!!!

What fire of all the many fires/attacks that slowly destroy the library over the centuries would you had stop????

Stopping the last one would have been kind of pointless as by then it was a shell of it former greatness.

Going back with a few guns and a fire engine pumper to some point in time is the kind of thing you would see in a movie but it would not have done a great deal of good.

Now perhaps standing a time guard over the centuries would had work however giving them the plans for a simple printing press so there are many many copies of the important books all over the ancient world instead of in one place would seem far simpler.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 04:19 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

whew, I thought I had an overdue book.

Heres another one. How about two fifty calibre machine guns at the Battle of Brandywine?
(We coulda got rid of them pesky Brits without any help from De Grasse and his sailboats.)
I have thawt about the use of automatic weapons on the English
during the American Revolution; a couple of Ma Deuces. Thay have good range on them too.
Some 7.62mm M134 Miniguns woud do a sweet job.

I watch the Military Channel and the History Channel a lot.
If I were able to, I 'd prevent the English from taking any American prisoners.

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 04:20 pm
@BillRM,
bill, it's imagination, fantasy

you know that thing that goes on in your head when your not thinking of real things

so he'd go back and save it the first time, the next time, the time after that

are you so tightly wound that you can't get the concept of just imagining things that might not be realistic

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 04:24 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

You can not be that dumb!!!!!!!

What fire of all the many fires/attacks that slowly destroy the library over the centuries????

Stopping the last one would have been kind of pointless as by then it was a shell of it former greatness.

1. U exaggerate.
2. I 'll do whatever I damned well PLEASE, if I can,
and I don 't give a rat 's ass whether u like it or not.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 04:26 pm
@djjd62,
Bill sees all conversations as a test of his intellect. We dont think he has a sense of humor that were aware of at this time.
BillRM

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 05:25 pm
@farmerman,
Sense of humor?

Why should we not deal with the subject of this thread in a serous manner?

Given time travel there are many points where history could have been force to branch off in a whole new direction with little force needed to be apply.

Bringing plans for a simple printing press back and cutting out the lost of knowledge seem to be a good example of such.

If you care for guns go back and do what the Romans did not do and wiped the Christian cult out before it could spread saving countless lives and stopping it from interfering with the growth of knowledge and technology for two thousands years.

Shorten the American Civil War by half by replacing or killing a man name Craig who held the position of chief of Ordnance Department and who used his position to slow down equipping troop with repeating rifles.

Small changes could be done to, such as forging orders to General Custer ordering him to take the gratling guns with him instead of turning them down.

farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 09:25 am
@BillRM,
Bill needs a hug.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 11:41 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Bill needs a hug.
Bill needs a book on English grammar.
farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 11:42 am