Should Dick Clark be on Rockin New Year's Eve?

Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 04:39 pm
I think most of us love the guy - and he is an icon. But isn't it almost cruel to have him struggle on TV? Or do you find it inspirational? I'm kinda torn - I can not figure out if watching him is like a train wreck or not?

eoe

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 05:10 pm
@Linkat,
I haven't watched it since his return. Too painful.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 05:10 pm

I missed him this year.
I was on 55th St. trying to watch the Ball drop.
Next year I 'll watch him again.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 05:12 pm

I used to watch him in the 1950s.
He was good on American Bandstand.

David
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 05:13 pm
time to give it up, you can't understand half of what he says, and the countdown is embarrassing
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 05:24 pm
I saw him, and I thought it was horrible. He looked so bad to me. I think, though, he will be there until the year he dies. It's not NYE without Mr. Clark, but like stated above, it's painful to watch
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 06:28 pm

Clearly, he is where he wants to be when he wants to be.
He 's not there for the money.
farmerman

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 08:35 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Harry Shearer did a parody of Dick Clark on "Rockin NYE" and did a version of him sounding like Kirk Douglas after his strokes. Sad really. The guy shouldnt need money and he shouldnt be subjected to that ungrateful ridicule. Poor guy, let him fade away. Dont try to keep polishing him up.
eoe

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 09:23 pm
@farmerman,
It's "DICK CLARK's Rocking Eve" (or whatever), meaning HE is the boss. Executive Producer in charge of everything. Dick Clark is still on this show because that is his wish.
Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 10:30 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
I think most of us love the guy - and he is an icon.

He may be an icon but that, by itself, is no reason for me to love -- or even like -- him.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 10:56 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

Quote:
I think most of us love the guy - and he is an icon.

He may be an icon but that, by itself, is no reason for me to love -- or even like -- him.
I take comfort and pride in how seldom
we agree, Andy, but I must cheer n support your autonomy
qua what u love.

David
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 10:59 pm
The entire affair was a fourth-dimensional, nightmarish comedy whose delightfully appalling climax was built upon the surreal juxtaposition between the complete shitfucks emceeing outside and the reanimated corpse of Dick Clark.

I couldn't ******* believe it.

Consider that it's our American media, including the ABC network broadcasting Dick Clark's Rockin' New Years Eve with Ryan Seacrest, that insists each New Year is a milestone of cosmic significance, an occasion to look back on the amazing year almost behind us (so many dead celebs!), and how in the coming one we're going live honest and healthy lives for a change. Then to mark the event they put Ryan Seacrest, Jennifer Lopez, Marc Anthony, fuckin' Daughtry (American Idol), and some dweeb from N' Sync--in other words, the biggest assholes imaginable--on a stage and give them a microphone. I seem to remember Jennifer Lopez dancing around drunkenly in a fur coat and diamonds, abstractly expressing to fat Midwestern families in turtlenecks watching at home the pure, undiluted hope they'll find in 2010. Hope or foreclosure. One of the two.

Meanwhile Dick himself roosted several stories up in his hermetically sealed New Year's cage, occasionally pawing the glass, his stroke-addled face twitching as he looked down and wondered what the hell happened. Where are the ******* Beatles? Stevie Wonder? Who is that furry bitch dancing on my stage? Jesus how I would like to die, but I can't leave American pop culture in the hands of retards like these. And so I must go on another year.

The ball descended. And his palsied tongue tripped over his scratchy baritone voice. And you laughed and felt bad about it. But listen: he stayed up later than you did, crafting a new contract ensuring that, after he dies, his chemically preserved corpse (a la Lenin) will replace the New Year's Eve ball, and will make its descent in the final seconds of every year for eternity.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 09:10 am
Gargamel - you are a brilliant writer.

but eoe has it right: Dick Clark calls the shot on his show. How much do you want to bet that since he owns the production rights of this show, it's in the contract that HE host it.

It is pitiful to watch. Even more pitiful is that he seems to sound better this year than last. Or did he practice all year? Also very errie was that Seacrest is looking like a yound DC.

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 09:27 am
In view of his contributions to television, I think that he should be there if he wishes to be. Everyone starts out young and ends up old. It's foolish to make fun of someone because he is old or sick.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 09:32 am
@sullyfish6,
sullyfish6 wrote:

Gargamel - you are a brilliant writer.

but eoe has it right: Dick Clark calls the shot on his show.
How much do you want to bet that since he owns the production rights
of this show, it's in the contract that HE host it.

It is pitiful to watch. Even more pitiful is that he seems to sound better
this year than last. Or did he practice all year?
Also very errie was that Seacrest is looking like a yound DC.

There is no room for doubt about that contract.

If he sounded better and he looks younger,
then I wonder the problem is. (I was not home to see the show.)

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 09:36 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
In view of his contributions to television,
I think that he should be there if he wishes to be.
Everyone starts out young and ends up old.
It's foolish to make fun of someone because he is old or sick.
It seems to me that, prima facie, he is within his rights.

David
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 09:56 am
@eoe,
I take your comment quite seriously because, in business, many time the founder of a company cant imgine that his continued presence in an enterprise will often just jam a rock in the gears and tear down what hes built. Whether Dick Clark realizes it or not, there are many people out there wondering , like us, what the hell hes addsing to the show.

WAtching "rocking NYE" is , to me, like watching other people fish. It wastes your time, and its all vicarious life.
Watxhing Dick Clark fade away is kinda creepy (IMHO). I'd like to remember him as he was, not a testimony to life extension technology.
mac11

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 10:01 am
I watched a bit of Anderson Cooper and Kathy Griffin this year instead. Last year was gruesome enough. I didn't really want to see how he looked this year.

He looked amazingly great for a very long time. I'd rather remember him that way.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 10:06 am
when i think about it, i don't think i've ever watched any countdown thing on new years eve

i'm guessing that one form or another must have been on a tv at a party i attended, as people always knew when to countdown, but actively watched one, i don't think so
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 10:16 am
@farmerman,
I haven't watched it in years, long before his stroke. The talent is beyond bland. Too whitebread for me. I say bring back the ridiculous whimsy of Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers' movies. Back when I was still living with my mother as a young adult, partying every NYE without fail, I'd get home around 2 or 3am, my brother might already be there or he'd came in soon after and we'd always catch at least one or more Fred & Ginger movies. Every year Chicago's WGN would kick off at midnight with "The Gay Divorcee" and would still be going strong at 5am with "Follow the Fleet". My mother would get up early to start her big holiday dinner and find me and Mike still sitting there in the kitchen, in our party clothes, watching the movie and drinking coffee.
God. How I miss them both.
0 Replies