Should Dick Clark be on Rockin New Year's Eve?

DrewDad

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 11:25 am
@Linkat,
Only beautiful, perfect people should be allowed on TV. I mean, who wants to see gimps and cripples? Unless you're in Tijuana. Am I right, guys?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 11:43 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
Only beautiful, perfect people should be allowed on TV.
I mean, who wants to see gimps and cripples?
Unless you're in Tijuana. Am I right, guys?
Yeah, generally, except if its a friend.
Tho I 've never met him in person,
I have looked upon Dick Clark as a friend since the mid-1950s.
Accordingly, I am interested in his well-being.

I have no information qua Tiajuana.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 11:50 am
@eoe,
eoe wrote:
It's "DICK CLARK's Rocking Eve" (or whatever),
meaning HE is the boss. Executive Producer in charge of everything.
Dick Clark is still on this show because that is his wish.
As u indicate, apparently, it is HIS show.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 12:04 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I take your comment quite seriously because, in business,
many time the founder of a company cant imgine
that his continued presence in an enterprise will often just jam
a rock in the gears and tear down what hes built. Whether Dick Clark
realizes it or not, there are many people out there wondering,
like us, what the hell hes addsing to the show.

WAtching "rocking NYE" is , to me, like watching other people fish.
It wastes your time, [ its only a few minutes out of every year, Farmer ] and its all vicarious life.
Watxhing Dick Clark fade away is kinda creepy (IMHO). I'd like to remember him as he was,
not a testimony to life extension technology.
Sometimes the human mind (in some people) fixates on something.
With one guy, it was rent control; with me, it 's freedom of self defense;
to some others, it is religious concerns; to someone else it's economic.
With Jerry Lewis, its his favorite disease.

I have a hunch that this is what Dick Clark wants to DO.

It is a fact of human psychology that some people
are very attracted to certain ideas or activities.
It has been that way for a while.

David
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 12:57 pm
There are, in my most humble opinion, only two truly iconic moments in a year's worth of American television. They are: the final moments of the Labor Day Muscular Dystrophy Telethon with Jerry Lewis bawling his eyes out as he sings "You'll Never Walk Alone" and the ten second countdown to the end of the year on Dick Clark's Rocking New Year's Eve. I have friends who argue to include the naming of the winner of the Oscar for Best Picture, but they are wrong because the personnel change every year at the Oscars.

It has to be Jerry, bloated, misshapen, off-key, struggling to find a way to the finish and Dick Clark, he's a horror to look at now and worse to try to understand, but there he is. Still there, bringing it.

Makes me laugh and cry and consider.
Those two guys have created touchstone moments. Summer is over with Jerry and the year's gone by with Dick.

I think I have been watching Dick for more than fifty years now, if I am allowed to include those noons on Saturday when I watched carefully to see if a certain pony-tailed blond was still doing the bop with that Danny guy, all the while trying to ape the moves they were making. (Oh, I get it! You tap your toe and then step back! Wait till I show them at the Rec hall dance!)

Of course, I was too cool to watch TV at New Year's when I was in high school, or college or in the USAF. It wasn't until I found myself in my 30's that Dick and New Year's came together as one. ( I also knew I had reached middle age the first time whichever wife I was married to at the time and I went to bed about 10pm and set a clock to wake us just before the final minutes of the year. We woke, I opened a bottle of champagne, we counted down, we kissed, we sipped, we went back to sleep to Dick's voice introducing somebody, probably KC and the Sunshine Band.)

I watched this year. It made me laugh and cry and consider. Dick Clark has to be there for the year to be gone by, for me to close it out. He is an icon in the true meaning of the word, he is Time.

If he is not there next time (knock on wood) I don't think I'll watch. We'll stay out on the beach and wait for the fireworks on the pier.

It will be for me like the time when the only other iconic moment of American television changed: the year that Bert Parks no longer hosted the Miss America Pageant. I never watched again even though it was always possible that the winner would be a pony-tailed blonde.

Joe(oh so square)Nation
DrewDad

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 01:50 pm
@DrewDad,
In case someone missed it, this post is sarcasm. FYI
dyslexia

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 01:57 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

In case someone missed it, this post is sarcasm. FYI
oh man, I got confused, I thought we were talking about Pat Boone.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 02:04 pm
@Joe Nation,
Wow - you really summed it up well!

It was one of those things I am torn by - do I like seeing this once forever teenager as a stroke victim or is like you describe? Hard to know for sure how I feel.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 03:39 pm

I 'm gonna watch next year.
0 Replies