aidan

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 09:37 pm
@teenyboone,
Teenyboone - I flew out of Newark yesterday. My suitcase was fifteen pounds overweight and I paid 50 dollars extra - it was worth it - I bought my kids a bunch of clothes in the US (because everything's cheaper) and the fifty dollars I paid to overstuff my suitcase was a lot less than I would have paid to buy the same stuff in the UK (or Canada for that matter).

Anyway - my flight left at 8:55 - boarded at 8:10 - I got to the airport at 6:00 and was at my gate by 7:15. I did have to remove my shoes and coat. That's it. My daughter and I each had two carry-on bags and I carried the Sunday New York Times I hadn't finished reading onto the plane. I was a little nervous about the bags but nobody said anything, so that was fine and I didn't even stop to give the newspaper a second thought. My daughter was assigned a seat directly behind mine, but the seat next to her was empty so I switched.

She listened to her ipod the entire flight. No one made us keep our hands in sight or stay in our seats at any given time. No one even checked my purse for liquids- and I did have some (stuff to make your hair shiny).

The meal and movie were free - and actually they have great stuff on this flight-I always look forward to it. The music selection was awesome. The tv stuff was funny. The movie selection was a little dated - but I think that's because they were showing old Christmas stuff - most of which I'd already seen several times.

Sometimes what you read in the news bears little resemblance to what happens in reality.

I always go to and fly out of an American city and it's always fine. But I always fly Continental. Maybe that's what makes the difference. I've yet to have a reason to complain.

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 09:50 pm
I suggest avoiding flying US airlines if at all possible. US air and Delta are near bankruptcy yet again, and this time it is possible that a judge will finally have the balls to do the right thing....ie dissolve the companies. US Air has made three trips through the debt shedding process in ten years I think, making a mockery of the purpose of bankruptcy. Time to rub them out. Of the majors only South West is sound from what I understand. I love Virgin Atlantic but I have no idea what their books look like.
aidan

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 09:54 pm
@hawkeye10,
I don't know what their books look like, but they give a comfortable ride - it's always more expensive though because they give you these little packages of socks and those eye cover things - not necessary to me and so not worth the extra they tack onto the price of the ticket.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 10:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
I don't know anyone that likes to fly Southwest. I have only flow on that airline a couple of times. My choice is always Alaska. They fly non-stop to most of the places I go.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 11:14 pm
@TTH,
Alaska is certainly one of the top three well run airlines (in combination with Horizon) during the last ten years. They have however been a leader in cost cutting, and they pissed me off when they fired their baggage handlers and ramp workers at sea-tac a few years back and went to contract with someone . Want a blanket or pillow? forget it on Alaska.

Another problem with US flagged carriers is that the majority of overhauls are no longer done in the US by union airline employees. The planes are sent down to central and south America mostly, the work done by contractors who have access to cheap labor. As an American who wants jobs for Americans, as well as as a union man for much of my life, I have a problem with this.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 11:35 pm
@TTH,
TTH wrote:

I don't know anyone that likes to fly Southwest. I have only flow on that airline a couple of times. My choice is always Alaska. They fly non-stop to most of the places I go.

I LOVE Southwest airlines. I fly them whenever I can. I will even pay up to 15% extra.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 11:42 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
I LOVE Southwest airlines. I fly them whenever I can.
what is the appeal? I have used them only once in the lest ten years, once when I needed a last minute ticket and they were way cheaper than anyone else. Riding them is the definition of "cattle class" so far as I am concerned.
roger

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 12:48 am
@hawkeye10,
They've gotten to where they are not cheaper than almost anyone, and all I ever got in the way of food was a bag of peanuts. Honest, the attendent came down the aisle waving little bags of peanuts like he were bribing a bunch of trained seals. They did get there on time, which you can't say of everyone.
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 11:16 am
@aidan,
I usually fly Continental too, but I snagged a "too good to pass up" deal that included hotel and air fare. Normally, I'd stay with one of my sisters, but this is an anniversary present and it's a different kind of trip, where I'd like to celebrate the fact that I'm still married after 40 years, but if you knew me, you'd ask, "WHY"!

I'm a Virgo, so that should give you a hint! I'm a former "perfectionist" and everything had to be just so! Now that I know I'll never be perfect, I'm not exactly a slob, yet, but I don't sweat the dumb stuff anymore. My husband, btw is a Virgo too. Who else would have me?

I like to have at least 2 bags, so that I can buy souvenirs too! Packing light, just for that reason. I'm staying 7 days and 6 nights, so I'm packing little or no sleepwear, but I still have a fetish about getting my feet dirty so slippers and underwear are a must. A woman of a "certain" age, gets a little fussy in their old age. I'll be okay. It's just like "when you thought it was safe to go back into the water" thing.

Calling my airline to be sure and safe. I tend to carry water when I travel, so I'll drink it all, before I board. They take it away from you. Other than that, I'm not worried because we're retired military with the holograms in our ID.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 11:33 am
@teenyboone,
Quote:
. I'm staying 7 days and 6 nights, so I'm packing little or no sleepwear, but I still have a fetish about getting my feet dirty so slippers and underwear are a must. A woman of a "certain" age, gets a little fussy in their old age.

TMI!
TTH

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2010 10:12 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
I LOVE Southwest airlines. I fly them whenever I can. I will even pay up to 15% extra.
I can't complain about the times I did fly SW. It wasn't a bad experience. The cons are no seat assignment, no first class (I like to at least have that option) and they have no partners in frequent flyer programs.
maporsche

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 08:42 am
@TTH,
Those are the reasons I like them.

I book ALL of my flights last minute. I can check in early and still get an aisle seat near the front of the plane. I'm a bigger guy (6'0", 180lbs, wide shoulders), so I can't do the middle seat garbage w/o being very uncomfortable.

On SW, I NEVER have a middle seat.

If I had to rank airlines I fly.

1) Southwest
2) Jet Blue
3) American
4) United
5) US Airways
JPB

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 08:50 am
@maporsche,
Yeah, but to get to Midway (or Milwaukee) adds an hour to the trip each way. I was highly entertained by the passengers the one time I flew SW. We had a lady who kept taking her cat out of it's carrier, a guy who spoke no english come out of the bathroom reeking of cigarette smoke (the FA followed him up the aisle, tapped him on the shoulder, and then indicated with her finger that he needed to follow her pronto), and the best cookies I've had in a very long time.

I had no complaints. I just wish they flew out of OHARE.
teenyboone

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 08:55 am
@hawkeye10,
???????
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 08:55 am
@JPB,
Yeah, I don't get to fly them very often; but I enjoy it when I do.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 10:30 am
@maporsche,
My choice is:
1) Alaska
2) NW (they are teamed up with Delta now)
3) Delta
4) Continental
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 07:13 pm
@Ceili,
Nice rant. Nods in agreement.

Three hours, four hours..
I remember letting off a boyfriend at LAX minutes before a flight, many times. I forget if it was he or I who was the late person, him, I think. I was more of a worry wart. He would run down the corridors and jump on the plane. Always made it, pretty swift.

Now he'd probably be shot for that.

I've caught on that I'm replying to an oldie thread. Still, aggravation reigns.
roger

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 09:14 pm
@ossobuco,
Yeah. I remember when you could meet someone at the airport and have lunch in one of the restaurants. At least in Alb, they are all inside secured areas. Oh, and you don't get to wave goodbye, unless you stand in the parking lot and pick a generic plane to wave to.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 09:20 pm
@roger,
This mattered to me - the connection - with my niece back at the eureka/arcata airport (test airport for fog). I think some of our connection was from airport emotion. Not all, at all, but the airport was part of it.

We would talk a million miles an hour when she visited (not really, there were calm times), but we were both emotional re the trip and flying

0 Replies

nikitabruneu

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 12:04 am
@Mame,
Yh , I agree with you. It was disgusting. It created unnecessary "bad reputation" . Before the passenger taking board, the crew member could easily check. And it is their duty and they cannot "bypasses" it.
0 Replies