Ceili

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 03:00 pm
I have $4000 worth of camera equipment. I'm not letting the airlines "take care" of it. They can't be trusted. I'm not letting them near my laptop either. If they can lose a bag on a single flight and stuff mysteriously goes missing on other flights, I'd rather drive.
Have you ever read what the airlines pay for?? It's ridiculous. They only cover $500 worth of clothing and meds, not electronics.
I don't have a criminal record, but I've been searched every trip but the last. Why???
mm25075

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 03:14 pm
recently I flew from Phx to Orlando. I got reprimanded by the agent because my approved sized liquids were in a gallon bag instead of a quart size bag. All in total the gallon bag fit neatly and zipped when she had me hold up the line to 'transfer' it into the 'extra' quart bag they had lying around. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 03:15 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Merry Andrew wrote:

Wanna know my own conspiracy theory? I think the US government is out to destroy the airline industry. Put 'em all out of business so we can create a gov.-owned and operated super system. Pretty soon nobody's going to want to fly a commercial airline any more anyway. What's the point? Aggravation is all.

So, as you see it, the government was behind 9/11 in order to gain the authority to put the commercial airline companies out of business?

Where, oh where, do you come up with this horseshit, Brandon?

You have absolutely no sense of humour whatever, do you?
dyslexia

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 03:50 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon, you simply don't grasp the final/end stages of senile dementia. Some of (such as Mr Andrew) are way past the edges.. Really, your only concern should be that we are welcome in gun stores and both he and I have complete arsenals of weaponry which we intend to use in erasing the blot on humanity called christians. Be very careful on sundays Brandon.
Mame

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 03:53 pm
@dyslexia,
Who's your stylist, dys? That's quite a look you got going there.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 04:03 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

"if you don't question a person on a long haul flight without luggage?" plus paid for the ticket in cash.

Do you guys really think this matters? I mean if they questioned all of these guys all of the time, don't you think the terrorists will just pack a bag, or put the ticket on a Visa gift card. They're going to blow up a plane, I doubt they're worried about losing some clothes or that they're too stupid to buy a gift card or get a debit card.

Even then, since many countrys have poor banking systems, a lot of people traveling out of those countrys pay with cash, or pay travel agents with cash who then buy the ticket.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 04:07 pm
actually silly as it may seem, I'm avoiding all air travel since I had my hip replacement, I can't get though the screening.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 04:16 pm
NPR article today says people aren't really worried about air travel in the US and are chafing at the new restrictions.
Brandon9000

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 04:21 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

NPR article today says people aren't really worried about air travel in the US and are chafing at the new restrictions.

The precise nature of the restrictions may be misguided, but the level of concern is not. Al Qaeda has already threatened to do the same thing again on a larger scale (hundreds of times, they said). The threat cannot simply be ignored.
engineer

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 04:30 pm
@Brandon9000,
Nor should it be, but flying with the risk of terrorist action is still dramatically safer than just about any other form of travel including walking. I'm glad the majority of Americans understand that and I hope that our government will not spend inordinate amounts of money in a fruitless effort to make us feel safer when the reality is that nothing is really different. From 538.com:
Quote:

Over the past decade, according to BTS, there have been 99,320,309 commercial airline departures that either originated or landed within the United States. Dividing by six, we get one terrorist incident per 16,553,385 departures.

These departures flew a collective 69,415,786,000 miles. That means there has been one terrorist incident per 11,569,297,667 mles flown. This distance is equivalent to 1,459,664 trips around the diameter of the Earth, 24,218 round trips to the Moon, or two round trips to Neptune.
Brandon9000

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 04:41 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Nor should it be, but flying with the risk of terrorist action is still dramatically safer than just about any other form of travel including walking. I'm glad the majority of Americans understand that and I hope that our government will not spend inordinate amounts of money in a fruitless effort to make us feel safer when the reality is that nothing is really different. From 538.com:
Quote:

Over the past decade, according to BTS, there have been 99,320,309 commercial airline departures that either originated or landed within the United States. Dividing by six, we get one terrorist incident per 16,553,385 departures.

These departures flew a collective 69,415,786,000 miles. That means there has been one terrorist incident per 11,569,297,667 mles flown. This distance is equivalent to 1,459,664 trips around the diameter of the Earth, 24,218 round trips to the Moon, or two round trips to Neptune.

Another part of the truth is that purely defensive measures cannot succeed, because we cannot protect every conceivable target against every conceivable form of attack 24 x 7 forever. When you have real enemies, who are dangerous and have sworn to destroy you, you actually have to go find them and kill them before they kill you.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 04:50 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

. . . but I've been searched every trip but the last. Why???

The last TSA officer was gay.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 05:23 pm
@Brandon9000,
So do a more thorough screening at the checkpoint - why make everyone suffer? Don't let the buggers get ON the plane.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 02:55 am
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Merry Andrew wrote:

Wanna know my own conspiracy theory? I think the US government is out to destroy the airline industry. Put 'em all out of business so we can create a gov.-owned and operated super system. Pretty soon nobody's going to want to fly a commercial airline any more anyway. What's the point? Aggravation is all.

So, as you see it, the government was behind 9/11 in order to gain the authority to put the commercial airline companies out of business?

Where, oh where, do you come up with this horseshit, Brandon?

You have absolutely no sense of humour whatever, do you?

Just using your words, which you now claim you didn't mean. Did you have an actual, stateable point?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 02:57 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

Brandon, you simply don't grasp the final/end stages of senile dementia. Some of (such as Mr Andrew) are way past the edges.. Really, your only concern should be that we are welcome in gun stores and both he and I have complete arsenals of weaponry which we intend to use in erasing the blot on humanity called christians. Be very careful on sundays Brandon.

As often stated on this board, I'm an athiest. I'm not surprised that you prefer mockery to argument, since you appear to have no defensible ideas.
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 05:15 pm
@Mame,
Hi Mame,
I'm in the US. I plan on traveling by air in February. Flying out of LaGuardia.
What should I be aware of? Allowed to have; not have, etc. I last flew in 2007 and was searched both ways. I'm wearing shoes that I can step out of, no extra anything, small zip-lock bag with hotel sized toiletries. I like to carry a small paperback book and small am/fm radio to keep from being bored.
The flight has a lay-over in Chicago for an hour and a half. I've ordered a low-fat and one diabetic meal for my husband. He is retired military, so I don't foresee any real problems. Am I okay with the above items? Can I have a camera?
Mame

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 05:22 pm
@teenyboone,
I don't really know anymore. The rules have changed in the last two days. The best thing is to go to your airline's website - they'll have all that there. It's also on your e-ticket or confirmation. It's all crazy now, so I can't help you.
Ceili

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 06:05 pm
The radio won't work, get an ipodish type thing, don't bring toiletries in your carry on. It's just not worth the hassle. The rules are different in every country. A camera is allowed as well, I would never pack it in the stored baggage, likely to be stolen or broken. In Canada you can't bring a book or a magazine or more than one carry on bag... The States are different but I'd follow Mame's advice.
0 Replies

mm25075

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 06:12 pm
@teenyboone,
TSA has a website of their own that provides all the details of what is acceptable/not acceptable.

Here's a link that has some FAQ's for some of the recent changes...
http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/dec25_guidance.shtm
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 06:14 pm
@Mame,
Thanks anyway. Right I'll get right on their website, now. Flying American Airlines and again, thanks!