Charlotte (Stray Dog) Christmas Present

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 09:22 pm
Charlotte, after a full year in "the pet spa", is finally realizing that this is a good place:

Our Bestest Christmas Present Ever!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 3,221 • Replies: 27
No top replies

chai2

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 09:41 pm
that's very sweet.

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 09:48 pm
Yes. Lucky dog.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 09:55 pm
@chai2,
Thank you! Watching her finally relax and act like a normal dog after over a year is SO satisfying.

She's taken to stretching her back legs out when we greet her, and sometimes flinging herself on her back and squirming happily on the carpet as well.

We can all recover from abuse, as Charlotte demonstrates... it just takes time, and love.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 10:01 pm
@BorisKitten,
Good to read about, thank you for the video.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 10:06 pm
aawww that's so sweet. I am glad that Charlotte has found such a good home
and you have the patience to let her come around on her own terms.

BorisKitten

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 10:19 pm
@CalamityJane,
I only wish we could afford to house MORE stray pups & kittehs... 3 of each is our limit.

BUT, if folks see Charlotte, or Happy (kitteh), they just might consider adopting, not buying, their next cat or dog.

Thus my babies represent many, many more needy babies. Please, folks, if you're considering a pet, visit your Animal Control/Humane Society/ASPCA Shelter first.

In the meantime, our four-legged children will be opening their Christmas Presents very soon!
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 12:12 am
@BorisKitten,
Yes BorisKitten, unfortunately there are too many of those pour souls
out there. We got ours at the animal shelter and I would encourage anyone
to do so too!
msolga

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 12:14 am
@BorisKitten,
You are a very dangerous poster, BorisKitten! Threads like this could lead sudden outbursts of spontaneous doggy adoptions on Christmas Eve! Wink
(I am only barely restraining myself!)

BTW Charlotte is just beautiful. You've obviously done a marvelous job with her. She's very lucky you found her. Good on you. Very Happy
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 12:21 am
@BorisKitten,
Oooooh! I love Charlotte and I never met her before! Very Happy
msolga

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 12:22 am
@tsarstepan,
So do I!!!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 12:26 am
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
Yes BorisKitten, unfortunately there are too many of those pour souls
out there. We got ours at the animal shelter and I would encourage anyone
to do so too!

Totally agree with you, Jane.

I can't remember the last cat I've lived with that didn't come from a shelter. Every single one of them has been an absolute delight! Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 01:35 am
As you all know, I adopted the Pacc, a seeming ranch corgi. He didn't play either with things like balls thrown (what are you doing, Jo, he said with those eyes). He could play with my business partner's dog and since it was a doberman, a big delight. He could snuffle up and cuddle and was always in a position of care. He didn't harass her rescued older cocker spaniel who was deaf.

Not to make him a saint. Just saying that chasing foofoo toys or not chasing them didn't define him.

I doubt any of us now posting disagree on dog adoption.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 02:01 am
@ossobuco,
Here's a heartbreaker right by me..

http://alibi.com/index.php?scn=news&story=30188

As most of you know, I'd love another dog but I can't be a responsible owner, financially, re veterinary care through a dog's life. We don't need me to go visit those shelters.
Tai Chi

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 07:58 am
@BorisKitten,
A lovely video and story, BorisKitten. Thank you. Charlotte is very lucky -- but then, so are you!
Green Witch

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 08:05 am
@BorisKitten,
You're a good old soul, BK.
BorisKitten

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 02:04 pm
@ossobuco,
Thank You, Osso, for such a sensible, well-thought-out approach. I really do NOT think everyone should have a dog or cat (or 3).

I'd say "You can volunteer at shelters," but y'know, I just can't do it, myself. So I can hardly recommend it.

I tried pretty hard, volunteering at our local Humane Society a month+ ago, and had nightmares about the dogs who had to have their legs amputated because of abuse and neglect.

Seeing their little waggy tails and happy faces, with a stitched-up thigh, hopping around with a missing leg all happy to see me... knowing how very unlikely it was they'd ever be adopted... Well, I couldn't bear it.

And yes, I'm a wimp.

Thus I adopt all I can, and try to promote shelter pets and, more important, spaying/neutering of pets, and call it done.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 02:06 pm
@Tai Chi,
We ARE lucky, to have the cutest pets ever. Thank you, Tai Chi.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 02:08 pm
@Green Witch,
Thank you, Green Witch. I dunno about the "good old soul" part, because I've failed at many things in my life...

but Charlotte & her 5 siblings are part of my successes, which I think I need to Celebrate.
Green Witch

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 05:24 pm
@BorisKitten,
Being a good old soul is not so much about what we fail at but what we succeed at. Both results mean you are at least trying.