CANDLE WAX SPILLED ONTO RUG___HELP w/cleanup ideas

Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:04 pm
Our big Coon cat jumped up on this wicker table in our sun room and dumped over a large red scented candle. RED WAX over everything. Ill turn the heat down out there and let the wax harden.
HOWEVER, there are hundreds of blobs of wax on the short pile tan rug. ANybody know of any trick getting that up without mowing?

View best answer, chosen by farmerman
AbbieMcKenley

Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:10 pm
@farmerman,
Pour icey water over it then pick it off
And then use penut butter, but maybe with a light rug that might not help...

Worked on my jeans though.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:17 pm
@farmerman,
ice. ^^

then mebbe "goo gone"...

(seriously)
farmerman

Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:21 pm
@Rockhead,
goo gone? The rug is olefin. Ill have to check. I just googled the problem and they suggested to use an iron set on low over some paper towels. That heats up and remelts the wax and it gets absorbed onto the towels.
0 Replies

boomerang

Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:22 pm
I would put down a thick pad of paper and use a moderatly hot iron over it to melt and absorb the wax - sort of like doing batik. Try it on a small area first.
farmerman

Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:22 pm
@boomerang,
Thats what the google guys said. Did you ever have to do the iron thing boomer?
Tai Chi

Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:27 pm
@farmerman,
Don't use too hot an iron and whatever you do don't iron the rug -- it will melt! (Go ahead and ask me how I know this...) Lots of paper towels so you can keep putting down a clean one. Concerned that since the candle is RED it may stain the rug. (Like RH said, ice first and peel off any big chunks.)
Butrflynet

Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:28 pm
@farmerman,
Here are various hints from the Heloise site. You might develop a plan of action from reading these. If you apply heat to it from an iron or hair dryer, just make sure the carpet is not synthetic or the fibers might melt.

http://www.heloise.com/hints.html

To get rid of candle wax from the tablecloth, let the wax harden"a quick way is to put it in the freezer. Then scrape it off the tablecloth with a dull knife. Place paper towels on both sides of the stain and set the iron on the warm setting, then iron (no steam) over the stained area. Change the towels often to absorb all of the wax. Launder as usual.

Candle Wax on Carpet
HINTS THEN: Towel and iron
HINTS NOW: Ice and a metal pan
Put ice cubes into a metal pan. Place it right on top of the candle wax until the wax is frozen solid. With a small hammer, hit the wax to break it up. Pick up the pieces. Then apply dry-cleaning solvent on a clean cloth to remove any leftover residue.

Candle Wax on the Tablecloth

Remove hardened wax with a dull knife. Place stain facedown on paper towels. Tackle from the back with cleaning fluid or dry-cleaning solvent. Still there? Treat with a solution of 1 tablespoon mild white hand dish-washing liquid and 1 teaspoon household ammonia in 1 cup water. Then wash according to care label in the hottest water safe for the fabric.

Lift candle wax that dripped onto the carpet?

Once wax has hardened, scrape up what you can with a dull knife. Put paper towels or and old, white cloth over the area; with iron on low-warm (no steam), gently press. As wax is lifted, move towels so a clean part covers the remaining wax; repeat until wax is gone. If colored wax leaves a stain, blot with spot remover or carpet cleaner, following label directions.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:28 pm
@farmerman,
goo gone is a rather nifty product that does magic. sometimes...

if the rug will take it, the heat thing sounds interesting.

and potentially oops prone.

good luck...
msolga

Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:32 pm
@Tai Chi,
Then I guess farmer should disregard this advice from Mrs Clean USA, Tai? Wink
What about this product she also recommends? Anyone ever heard of it? (I haven't): Un-Du Candle Wax Remover.

Quote:
Remove Candle Wax From Carpet

Using heat rather than cold remove more candle wax and is the best method for candle wax removal.

Place a clean cotton cloth over the wax stain on the carpet, place a warm iron on the cloth and the wax will melt and be absorbed into the towel.

Be careful and do not use a very hot iron. If your carpet has synthetic fibers, it could melt. Repeat this process if necessary using a new towel to keep pulling the melted candle wax from the carpet fibers

There is commercial product that works really well to remove a candle wax stain. It is called Un-Du Candle Wax Remover. Just a few drops of the candle wax remover will dissolve wax and you won't need to use an iron, scrape, or cut to remove wax. I have actually tried this product, and it works really well.

http://www.mrscleanusa.com/tips/remove-candle-wax.html
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:34 pm
@Rockhead,
Isn't Goo Gone petroleum based? That may cause problems with certain types of carpet fibers.
0 Replies

boomerang

Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:36 pm
@farmerman,
I've done it on fabric -- but the wax was intentional.

To do batik you dye, then wax to create areas to resit subsequent dye, then dye, then wax, etc., until you get the desired result. Then you have to get rid of all the wax, leaving the fabric.

We always used a thick pad of newspaper -- but I'm not sure about the ink they use these days -- it seems to come off on my fingers often enough that I'd hesitate using it -- and a hottish (NO STEAM) iron.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:38 pm
UN-Do? I just tried some isopropyl acohol on a small piece that flew onto a wall. That worked pretty good. Ill look UN-DO up and see where I can get it (Might need an 1800$ plane ticket to Oz to buy it at a store, then I think Ill just relay the rug, it was a low cost short pile rug)

Its amazing, the whole thing is like a blood spatter pattern from DEXTER.
CalamityJane

Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:41 pm
I've gotten wax of the tablecloth and table itself with paper towels and iron -
works like a charm. With a red candle you probably will need additionally a
good stain remover.
That will teach you to buy white candles!

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:43 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I would put down a thick pad of paper and use a moderatly hot iron over it to melt and absorb the wax - sort of like doing batik. Try it on a small area first.

This is the method I use. Quick and easy.
msolga

Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:44 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Its amazing, the whole thing is like a blood spatter pattern from DEXTER.

Any chance of photographs? Wink

Re-laying the rug actually sounds the best bet, farmer. I mean, you may well remove the wax, but I have a hunch there may be a lingering red stain ...
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thank youse all. I quit the red dot thing because its silly and Im really pissed at the color red tonight.

Never a fduckin dull moment
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:48 pm
Piping in while knowing nothing, isn't olefin synthetic?
farmerman

Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:49 pm
@ossobuco,
I think so. I believe its made of margarine. (no just kidding, its a synthetic)
Butrflynet
  Selected Answer

Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:55 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olefin_fiber

Olefin fiber is a synthetic fiber made from alkenes. It is used in the manufacture of various textiles as well as clothing, upholstery, wallpaper, ropes, and vehicle interiors. Olefin is also referred to as polypropylene, polyethylene, or polyolefin. Olefin's advantages are its strength, colorfastness and comfort, stain, mildew, abrasion and sunlight resistance, and good bulk and cover.

Care procedures

Dry cleaning Olefin is not recommended, because many dry-cleaning solvents can swell the fibers. As Olefin dries quickly, line drying and low tumble drying with little or no heat is the recommended method of drying. Since Olefin is not absorbent, waterborne stains do not present a problem. However, oily stains are difficult to remove. Most such stains can be removed with lukewarm water and detergent, but bleach can also be used. Olefin fiber has a low melting point (around 225 to 335 °F, depending on the polymer's grade) so items should be ironed at a very low temperature, if at all. Items such as outdoor carpets and other fabrics can be hosed off. Olefin is easy to recycle.

http://www.amazon.com/1oz-Un-Du-Wax-Remover-Unscented/dp/B00068YI90

Here's another wax removal product

http://www.amazon.com/Weiman-31-Candle-Wax-Remover/dp/B001CEJX56/ref=pd_bxgy_k_text_b
0 Replies